Rifle selection

Wanted to see what others thought about a rifle purchase for a main elk hunting setup. Currently my main setup is a Savage long range 7mm rem mag and it is fantastic. It shoots lights out. The main downside for me is the weight (8.6lbs I believe just rifle) blued barrel and twist rate.

I have been wanting to work on another setup specifically for elk hunting that is lighter than my savage so I have a couple of weight options.

I keep seeing good things on the Tikka T3X stainless and was considering one in 300 win mag but the twist rates look slow on the Tikkas and I live at 14 feet of elevation. I’ve never owned a Tikka so have interest there. I don’t mind recoil but my gut tells me this rifle in 300 win would push pretty hard. I also prefer no brake. My savage recoil is very light considering the weight and caliber. No issues without the brake for my wife to shoot.

I like the Browning Max Long range features but it is also heavy it looks like. I’m sure it’s a fantastic setup but would also be the same weight as my savage.

My thoughts were to find a rifle that was sub 7lbs around but wouldn’t kick so much that I would not enjoy shooting it.

Based on this criteria let me know if you have any suggestions. I started looking at the Seekins PH2 as I found one for around $1500 and while currently out of budget I could always save up for this rifle as I’m planning on it for 2022 season and using my 7mm for this season.

Open to suggestions! Thanks everyone.

Kyle

z987k

WKR
Without a break or suppressor, my tikka 30-06 is more than I want recoil wise. It's lighter than a stock one, but even when factory, 20 rounds out of it and I was done. Usually had a blue shoulder the next day.
That works for hunting where you're firing 1 or 2 shots and there's adrenaline, same with the big magnums. But I hated shooting the thing at the range, and figured I'd develop a flinch eventually. Now with a good recoil reduction device, I still can't spot the shots, but I don't mind shooting it all day.

idahodave

WKR
Very difficult to beat a Tikka Superlite in 7 mag flinging 168 Bergers. You can spend 3x as much and not have a more functional rifle.

Its affordable enough to allow the purchase of optics equally as good to complete the package.

Dave

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Without a break or suppressor, my tikka 30-06 is more than I want recoil wise. It's lighter than a stock one, but even when factory, 20 rounds out of it and I was done. Usually had a blue shoulder the next day.
That works for hunting where you're firing 1 or 2 shots and there's adrenaline, same with the big magnums. But I hated shooting the thing at the range, and figured I'd develop a flinch eventually. Now with a good recoil reduction device, I still can't spot the shots, but I don't mind shooting it all day.
Very helpful thank you! I was looking at the stainless 30-06 or 7mm.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Got one of these in 7 RM a couple months ago. Already have about 300 rounds down the tube and insane accuracy with 168 VLDs pushing 3100 FPS. Hardly notice the kick with the brake and it’s a joy to shoot.

If you already have 7 RM it doesn’t hurt to stick with the same caliber, especially if you reload.

That’s a sharp looking rifle. I didn’t consider the lighter Browning thanks for sharing!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Very difficult to beat a Tikka Superlite in 7 mag flinging 168 Bergers. You can spend 3x as much and not have a more functional rifle.

Its affordable enough to allow the purchase of optics equally as good to complete the package.

Dave
Good point. Do you use a brake? If not how is recoil with 7mm on the Tikka?

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Tikka T3X lite in stainless 300 wm. Like you thought it kicks the hell out of ya. But when you’re sitting at an elk or deer you don’t ever notice it. It’s an awesome shooting gun though. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Antares

WKR
How adamant are you about not having a brake? I would love to have on of the new 1:10 twist 300WM Superlites, but I would certainly put a brake on it. I think an APA Gen 3 Micro Bastard would be perfect.

davsco

WKR
I shoot a Tikka T3X lite in stainless 300 wm. Like you thought it kicks the hell out of ya. But when you’re sitting at an elk or deer you don’t ever notice it. It’s an awesome shooting gun though. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
i had a t3 in 300wm. kicked the living crap out of me, painful. of course in the field you don't feel it plus being bundled up. sold that and later bought a t3x in 300wsm and had it threaded for a hellfire brake. obviously it still kicks but at a SMALL fraction. well worth it. of course wear hearing protection at the bench and in the field, even non-braked rifles are loud.

Well you kind of want what everyone does. A lightweight accurate rifle that easy to shoot with lots of authority to put down big game. The problem is your not willing to do what it takes to get it. There are only a few ways to reduce recoil and as you know already adding weight is one of them. Sounds like you want something that your spouse can shoot as well. If your open to it I would have a read over the 223 for bear moose and elk thread. Without a brake and going lighter the most easily achievable option would likely be to step down in case capacity and opt for something like an 7-08.