Rifle size and weight. Going big for accuracy?

huntnful

WKR
I love it, it's the perfect compact LR hunting scope in my opinion.
Compared to others I've owned (AMG, NX8, mk5) its in an entirely different league.
I sold all the others to own the March and I'd do it again anyday.
Daaaaaaang! I used an NX8 quite a bit, and then went to a Mark 5, which was far superior to the NX8 IMO. Now you really got me thinking, since you've owned both of my scope as well. Thank you!

Daaaaaaang! I used an NX8 quite a bit, and then went to a Mark 5, which was far superior to the NX8 IMO. Now you really got me thinking, since you've owned both of my scope as well. Thank you!
I really liked my mk5s but I got in on a pre production deal for the March that I couldn't pass up.
I really miss my 3.6-18, my only complaint is the stupid 35mm tube takes talleys off the table

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I really liked my mk5s but I got in on a pre production deal for the March that I couldn't pass up.
I really miss my 3.6-18, my only complaint is the stupid 35mm tube takes talleys off the table
I was eyeing the SWFA 3-15 if you two had any input. I'd love more but just wont commit the funds at the moment.

I was eyeing the SWFA 3-15 if you two had any input. I'd love more but just wont commit the funds at the moment.
I've never owned an swfa but I hear they're reliable.
I'm actually in the market for a chesper lightish scope for my mid range hunting rifle, I like what im hearing about the LRHS2 and the Trijicon Creedo.
I could be wrong but I don't believe the SWFA has a zero stop which is a total deal breaker.
Edit: a lot of guys like the zeiss v4 but I didn't have good luck with mine, and it sucked in low light

I've never owned an swfa but I hear they're reliable.
I'm actually in the market for a chesper lightish scope for my mid range hunting rifle, I like what im hearing about the LRHS2 and the Trijicon Creedo.
I could be wrong but I don't believe the SWFA has a zero stop which is a total deal breaker.
Edit: a lot of guys like the zeiss v4 but I didn't have good luck with mine, and it sucked in low light
You can buy a zero stop for SWFA off of eBay, I believe it’s less than $30. You could make your own for a couple bucks at a hardware store as well. The majority of used ones that come up on the classifieds tend to come with the kit.

I have an LRHS2, no complaints so far, but I haven’t tested it thoroughly. I wouldn’t consider it light.

I had an swfa 10x and I'm not a fan boy for sure.
It seemed reliable but to me the glass was awful. It was exceptable to shoot to 750 but I did not have enough resolution to shoot to 1k at least during summer. Low light was awful.

Be very careful not to over torque the turret screws as the stud is very soft. Then if you need to adjust the turret again the screw pulls itself back into the indent you previously made and does want to stay in the new setting if its a half or one mark away.

The zero stop shim kit is not a true hard zero stop.
You just stack an amount of shims that keep the turret from going a full turn past your zero line.
Usually you end up with about a 1/4 turn of play.
But you also can't push the turret all way down like a scope with a ture zero stop so it sit a little high.
Its an acceptable entry level optic but its nothing special that's for sure.
Id personally never put one on a big game rifle.

I had an swfa 10x and I'm not a fan boy for sure.
It seemed reliable but to me the glass was awful. It was exceptable to shoot to 750 but I did not have enough resolution to shoot to 1k at least during summer. Low light was awful.

Be very careful not to over torque the turret screws as the stud is very soft. Then if you need to adjust the turret again the screw pulls itself back into the indent you previously made and does want to stay in the new setting if its a half or one mark away.

The zero stop shim kit is not a true hard zero stop.
You just stack an amount of shims that keep the turret from going a full turn past your zero line.
Usually you end up with about a 1/4 turn of play.
But you also can't push the turret all way down like a scope with a ture zero stop so it sit a little high.
Its an acceptable entry level optic but its nothing special that's for sure.
Id personally never put one on a big game rifle.
That's pretty much what I've heard from people who've owned them, might be OK for a cheap truck rifle or AR platform

That's pretty much what I've heard from people who've owned them, might be OK for a cheap truck rifle or AR platform
I mean they work and if thats all you can afford, but they leave alot to be desired.
I am disappointed there is such a wide gap between swfa and other reliable alternatives.

I'm riding the V4 train pretty hard and mine haven't seen any hard use yet.

I've read a couple poor experiences lately but for the most part its all positive.
Of they fail ill go NF across the board.

Wrench

WKR
I find the 6x to be much more friendly to hunt with than the 10. Optically better when the light goes and much better fov. The turrets on the non hd swfa do not trip my trigger, the hd are pretty good.

I have a few 10x and 6x swfa's and I would not call them awful by a long shot. I do have one 10x that is certainly lower imagine quality than the rest. All my 6s are super clear and bright.

I find the 6x to be much more friendly to hunt with than the 10. Optically better when the light goes and much better fov. The turrets on the non hd swfa do not trip my trigger, the hd are pretty good.

I have a few 10x and 6x swfa's and I would not call them awful by a long shot. I do have one 10x that is certainly lower imagine quality than the rest. All my 6s are super clear and bright.
I had a VX3 on an old rifle I sold last year. The glass on my SWFA 3-9 is as good or better. Certainly usable. I passed on a 400 yard shot on a doe 15 minutes after sunset with it this year, but never felt like the glass was a limiting factor.

Wrench

WKR
I had a VX3 on an old rifle I sold last year. The glass on my SWFA 3-9 is as good or better. Certainly usable. I passed on a 400 yard shot on a doe 15 minutes after sunset with it this year, but never felt like the glass was a limiting factor.
Agreed that the hd glass is pretty good. I have a few of them also and they are solid. The 6x beats it at 6x, but the 3x9 is my personal choice for lighter size/weight dialing scopes.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at building a long range (700 yards max?) hunting setup but need help from those who have been there. How much does a longer, heavier gun help?

If its of any use I recently went from a 4.5lb 39" ATA bow down to a 34" 3.9lb bow (bow only weight). While the bigger bow was more of a pain (western hunter, Idaho, AZ, CA, UT) I'd be damned if I didnt hit the hair I was aiming at. Not so much with the current setup. I am actually going back to a bigger heavier bow because of that.

How much does that play into effect for hunting/shooting? I'd gladly carry an extra lb and 4" of barrel or whatever if it makes a difference when it comes time to kill. My current rifle is a 22" barrel .270 that weighs 7lb 10oz scoped.

I am looking at a x-bolt long range if you are wondering.

Thanks in adva

The inherent mechanical accuracy of a rifle is not determined by its weight.

Define what you want the rifle to do, under what conditions, and it will dictate the specs.

There are 8 pound rifles with as much mechanical accuracy as a 14 pound Sniper rifle…

Rock-o

WKR
Get something that 1) is chambered for your game and 2) is pleasant to carry. Then learn to shoot it.

I have a 25", 12lb 300 Win Mag that I hand load for. I practice to 1000 yards. It shoots great. I carry it on backpack hunts no problem. BUT, I'll get a svelt mountain rifle to fill its shoes at some point. Why carry more size and weight than necessary??

* Edit: Recoil does not bother me.

Last edited:
OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
The inherent mechanical accuracy of a rifle is not determined by its weight.

Define what you want the rifle to do, under what conditions, and it will dictate the specs.

There are 8 pound rifles with as much mechanical accuracy as a 14 pound Sniper rifle…

Yeah. I am talking in the real world given the limitations that most guys face. We know a 27" ATA bow is just as accurate at a 37" ATA bow but there is a reason why the target guys choose the latter. Even the best in the world make mistakes.

Pokoki

FNG
Good to know. Yeah, I was liking the 26" tubes. Do you feel you shoot those substantially better at longer ranges then a lighter setup? I dont want to carry extra weight for the sake of it but I cant imagine extra weight hurting accuracy.
My go to rifle is a Browning Hells Canyon in 7mag. To me, overall, covers all my bases.

My 7 SAUM is just over 9 all in with a suppressor and think it’s the Goldilocks rifle. I could live with up to 11 for a heavier caliber (300/338, etc) or down to 8 for really steep and deep stuff, but like anything there are trade offs.