Rifle Slung Over Shoulder or Attached to Pack

I have carried my rifle attached to my pack for a couple years and considering going back to the traditional shoulder sling. I am not a western hunter. I hunt in the Southeast and I rarely carry my rifle more than half a mile. I have found when its on my backpack it is out of reach if I jump a deer, my barrel bangs into everything cause I cant quickly change carry positions when walking through brush, my muzzle hits the walls of my shooting box when I get in and try to take off my pack. I have found the backpack style just doesn't provide as much versatility to change positions when needed.

Anyone else get pumped up they can carry their rifle on their fancy hunting backpack only to find out it isn't all that great?

WyoKid

WKR
Depends on the situation. Packing meat or packing camp in, definitely on the pack. Traveling between locations and not really hunting but won't pass up an opportunity, slung on the shoulder. All other times, in my hands.

I learned a long time ago to carry my rifle and not sling it when hunting - missed way too many opportunities if it isn't readily available.

ElPollo

WKR
I started using a Kifaru gun bearer for hauling a long gun this year and really like it. It puts the weight on your pack belt, has all the benefits of carrying a gun strapped to a pack, but is also quick and easy to get it on target.

OP
General RE LEE
Just a quick watch on the Gun Bearer, looks like it would be awkward to naturally let your arms swing on a hike or walk with the rifle no?

wyodan

WKR
Just a quick watch on the Gun Bearer, looks like it would be awkward to naturally let your arms swing on a hike or walk with the rifle no?
It's not bad. Personally, I prefer the Stone Glacier or the Gunslinger Corral carriers.

EastMT

WKR
I’ve tried a few of the options, and didn’t really like them. I attached a eberlestock scabbard to my pack and haven’t looked back. I like it covered, keeps it clean, out of the weather, protected it I fall. I even cut the rifle carrier off my pack bag

ElPollo

WKR
If I’m not carrying a gun in hand and am on steep ground, I tend to use trekking poles. This puts your arms out in front of you where the gun is hanging and I have no problems with it. If the gun bearer doesn’t affect trekking pole use, it certainly won’t affect normal arm swing.

OP
General RE LEE
Glad I posted this thread it gave me ideas. I just ordered a sling saddle shoulder clip. That way I can be hands free and not worry and the sling sliding off my shoulder.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru gun bearer. Adjustable to a wide range of overall gun lengths, allows you to glass easily, use trekking poles, and you level the gun to the target quickly

WCB

WKR
If it is during shooting time I have it over my shoulder or the sling thrown over the stays on my pack (takes the weight off the shoulder and no chance slipping.

If I am just traveling before or after the hunt Ill strap it to my pack

BluMtn

WKR
I have tried them all but the Kifaru and the new KUIU. I had an old style KUIU that was hard to get my butt stock into and out of. Traded it for the new style KUIU with the buckle on the butt stock and I really like it. I can unbuckle and allow the stock to slide down to allow the barrel out of the barrel keeper on the top of the pack and with my strong hand swing it around to a shooting position. I will pack it on my pack until I get into an area that I will be hunting and when I am ready to carry it on my pack, I drop my pack and reinstall the gun on my pack. But overall I really like this system for me. YMMV

madcalfe

WKR
87465280-9CC8-4CA2-805A-42405A7CA424.jpegKifaru gun bearer is the bees knees. Especially with a 20” tube! I thought having the rifle under my arm would be awkward but it’s not. And it’s also some extra insurance if you fall your arm kinda protects your scope from being bashed.