Rifle Slung Over Shoulder or Attached to Pack

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I use a sling and gun bearer. I don't prefer to use the gun bearer in close with a round in because my boys are usually with me. When in close with a round in I feel I have better muzzle control with a sling or just carrying the rifle. But when I'm just hiking the gun bearer is nice to have. The gun bearer works well for kids since they have a tough time keeping slings on their shoulders.

Gun bearer hands down takes the win for my group. We all have ‘em. Don’t interfere with trekking poles or hiking in general. We hunt demanding steep country not just easy flat land and it works great.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Another Gunbearer satisfied user here. I've tried the Stone Glacier and Kuiu options and they are both nice for covering ground and even getting access to your rifle fairly quickly but they both seemed to require taking your pack off to get the rifle into their slings where the gunbearer you could get it slung while still wearing your pack. Big win for me.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I have carried my rifle attached to my pack for a couple years and considering going back to the traditional shoulder sling. I am not a western hunter. I hunt in the Southeast and I rarely carry my rifle more than half a mile. I have found when its on my backpack it is out of reach if I jump a deer, my barrel bangs into everything cause I cant quickly change carry positions when walking through brush, my muzzle hits the walls of my shooting box when I get in and try to take off my pack. I have found the backpack style just doesn't provide as much versatility to change positions when needed.

Anyone else get pumped up they can carry their rifle on their fancy hunting backpack only to find out it isn't all that great?

My suggestion for you would be the Boonie Packer Safari Sling......works great, rifle at the ready, hands free if you want to be, can control the rifle / muzzle with 2 fingers, easy to slide in and around stuff......I use one of these along with a gun bearer. I carry my rifle on the gun bearer when travel is a priority, but when I am "hunting" I put this on.

There are multiple vids showing how to use it....and reviews...

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Came here to say - if you're not hiking far a sling makes sense. I hike in in the dark and out at dark. making the majority of the distance I travel needless to have ready access to my rifle.

Fire_9

WKR
I guess I’m confused as to why you don’t just carry your rifle in your hand if you’re going half a mile. Unless I’m just flat out covering country and not really hunting, I carry mine. This is especially the case when on uneven or steep terrain where I could slip and fall. It’s the best way to protect your gun

Use both and use whichever one makes the most sense for a given situation.

There are times it makes sense to use a gun bearer such as when traversing steep/gnarly terrain or packing an animal out.

Other times a sling makes a lot of sense such as if it is highly likely you’re going to bump an animal or if predators are a concern. The last part can be eliminated if folks religiously practice a quick draw (most don’t at least on threads talking about preparing for a hunt in grizzly/brown bear country).

EDIT: I’m not that tall but walking through thick vegetation sucks with a rifle attached to the pack in any fashion. Much easier to hold the rifle in hand under those scenarios.

I guess I’m confused as to why you don’t just carry your rifle in your hand if you’re going half a mile. Unless I’m just flat out covering country and not really hunting, I carry mine. This is especially the case when on uneven or steep terrain where I could slip and fall. It’s the best way to protect your gun
I like using my binoculars and trekking poles while actively hunting. My rifle is slung on my shoulder unless I'm in thick timber.

Holocene

WKR
I carry mine. Both back in South Carolina deer woods and out West where I live and hunt now.

Sometimes I use a sling for transport and a shooting aid, but on my last elk hunt I just held the rifle the whole time.

Frankly, I want maximum maneuverability for my rifle when covering terrain. Never know when you'll encounter game, and I don't want to lose a shot because my gun is tied up. Also, if I carry the rifle I can move it quickly to avoid overhanging brush or a rocks if I slip. Busted up a Model 70 stock once when I took a slip in Hell's Canyon.

Looking ahead, I'm seriously considering an XLR Element with folding stock attachment so that I can pack a rifle on long pack ins or pack outs. Having a compact weapon stored safely in or on the pack has its appeal.

For the OP's situation, carry the gun?

Fire_9

WKR
I like using my binoculars and trekking poles while actively hunting. My rifle is slung on my shoulder unless I'm in thick timber.

Binos I get but do you walk while looking through them. Rifle protection and readiness, depending on the terrain I’m hunting, are my top priorities. I’ve seen too many people fall on their rifles while in the field. When it’s in my hand, it won’t hit the ground.

Packing meat or covering easy terrain in a different story.

rootacres

WKR
I rock a gun bearer on my pack for out west. Sometimes I still strap my rifle directly to my pack. For what you are doing and when I hunt in the midwest for whitetail I use one of those skinny quake slings. My rifle wouldn't be on my pack for where you hunt and where I whitetail hunt.

FireNelk

FNG
Hiking in the dark or into camp on the pack. Every where else on the shoulder. Have had to many surprises not to be ready.

Seeknelk

WKR
I used the gunbearer from Kifaru for years . Only problem I have with it is your barrel WILL cover a guy thats climbing above you if your not constantly vigilant!
Went to the slik sling this year and it’s far better for me. It keep rifle behind shoulder but easily removed quickly and very important to me is you can put it back without removing pack. And its safer. Check it out . Only 20 bucks it’s a no brainer to try.

I use the Slinghook, though I haven't used it with trekking poles. Works great for me with no need to spend time with setup or dialing it in with my pack. I also easily switch it between different packs. In terms of speed of rifle deployment with shoulder vs a gun bearer type rig, the difference is probably a second or a fraction of a second. I mean, we're not talking about a gunfight here, so it really boils down to comfort.

https://talarik.com/shop-talarik-products/slinghook