Rifle stock/floor plate issue

lak2004

WKR
Hello all, I have a model 70 in 300wsm with a recently purchased and installed B&C medalist stock and PTG 1 piece bottom metal, oberndorf style. Every shot I take, the mag pops open and drops my rounds. I've tried re tightening and torquing, but nothing is working. Any ideas? I'm about to sell the stock and put the Tupperware that came on it back on.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hello all, I have a model 70 in 300wsm with a recently purchased and installed B&C medalist stock and PTG 1 piece bottom metal, oberndorf style. Every shot I take, the mag pops open and drops my rounds. I've tried re tightening and torquing, but nothing is working. Any ideas? I'm about to sell the stock and put the Tupperware that came on it back on.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure the action screws are torqued to the proper specs. Sounds to me like that may be the issue and it isn't letting the mag catch get a good bite on the floorplate

You may have to file the floor plate in order for the latch to have a better catch/grab. I had to do that to my .375 H&H mag. When I first bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Thanks all, I'll pull it out this week and play with it. I appreciate the input!

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
So you didn’t try a factory floorplate that would go on a M70 hinged floorplate?
Nope, already had the other one on hand. This rifle has cost me too much trying to polish a turd. Should have sold it long ago and bought something else. It was originally a super shadow Walmart special.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Nope, already had the other one on hand. This rifle has cost me too much trying to polish a turd. Should have sold it long ago and bought something else. It was originally a super shadow Walmart special.

10-4. Good luck with it.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Epoxy it fixed shut or duct tape it shut as floor plates have little value anyway.
True, I've discovered they are mostly worthless. This rifle also has feed issues that will likely screw me. Maybe need to just take it to a gunsmith and have it looked over.

The floor plate is a common issue from PTG. Call them and they will send you a stronger spring.
What is the feeding issue?

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
The floor plate is a common issue from PTG. Call them and they will send you a stronger spring.
What is the feeding issue?
Good to know thanks! The next round after ejecting an empty usually misfeeds and jams. I'm wondering if I need a new follower or mag spring? I had to cut the magazine box down with the old wood stock I had on it, so that also could be an issue.

This gun is a franken gun, if it didn't shoot so damn well it would have been gone a long time ago.

Sounds like a magazine spring issue. The spring may need a little tweaking to allow more pressure or less. How much did you cut the mag box down? Also be sure to check that the follower slides freely and isn’t pinched by the mag box while in the stock. Sometimes the stock inlet needs to be opened as it can pinch the sides of the mag box and causing binding.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Sounds like a magazine spring issue. The spring may need a little tweaking to allow more pressure or less. How much did you cut the mag box down? Also be sure to check that the follower slides freely and isn’t pinched by the mag box while in the stock. Sometimes the stock inlet needs to be opened as it can pinch the sides of the mag box and causing binding.
Thanks Cahunter! I think I took a 1/2" off the box a while back. I'll check to see if anything is hanging up.

N2TRKYS

WKR
True, I've discovered they are mostly worthless. This rifle also has feed issues that will likely screw me. Maybe need to just take it to a gunsmith and have it looked over.

I’ve got a couple hinged floorplate rifles with B&C stocks and never had any issues with them. One of them is a Remington Model Seven in 7 SAUM.
I’ve found B&C stocks to be a true drop in with no modifications needed. The only thing I’ve had to do to one is light sanding for fitment of an aftermarket trigger. There again, all the factory parts fit perfectly.

The factory metal may solve your problem.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Model 70 classic stainless that would dump the floor plate after every shot. Had to round file the small indentation that caught the button so that it would allow the button to catch all the way. A 1 minute fix.

Had a Model 70 classic stainless that would dump the floor plate after every shot. Had to round file the small indentation that caught the button so that it would allow the button to catch all the way. A 1 minute fix.

That’s exactly what I ended up doing with mine, I just don’t think I articulated it as well as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk