rifle suggestions

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I couldn't find a thread that seemed to have the information I am after.

I am looking for a 308 to be a general purpose hunting back up rifle in the Rockies. Ideally it has...
-Short-ish 20-22" barrel that is factory threaded. Trying to balance the extra length of a can and still getting respectable velocity.
-Detachable mag fed preferred.
-I want it to be lighter weight, good quality, and accurate (preferably capable of sub MOA with handloads)
-Must handle well but I don't have a preference between blued, stainless, wood or synthetic. Function first.
-In the $500-800 range.

I know there are a lot of Tikka fanboys on here but I haven't owned one yet. Browning, Savage, Tikka, _________? Does anyone have a specific model suggestion or real experience with something fitting? I get a 30% Savage discount but I have seen Tikkas on sale for about the same price.

Thanks in advance. If there is a thread somewhere I missed that could answer my query, please point me in that direction.

Rokbar

WKR
if I was to buy a rifle today it would be a tikka T3 lite. 270 or 300 mag. I have never handled one, but everything Ive heard is good.

Wapiti1

WKR
Tikka T3x Lite in .308 checks all your boxes. https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/JRTXMT16

If you're OK with having the barrel shortened and threaded, then you open up a lot more options. Sauer 100, and Steyr THB come to mind. The Steyr is probably over your price point, but the Sauer isn't and it is a nice rifle.

Jeremy

OP
T

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
@Rokbar I already have the 300WM in a Browning X-bolt Max Long Range as the primary. This rifle is the kick around, cheaper little brother ideally.

@Wapiti1 14x1 threads on that?

I haven’t handled one but the CVA Cascade might be worth a look.

Thompson Center Compass, Thompson Center Venture, Mossberg Patriot are all worth a look as well.

Bergara hunter or ridge should fill your needs, hunter is lighter profile barrel but 22in and ridge is 20in, threaded, but heavier profile.

I have a Hunter and it shoots horandy precision Hunter and eld match amazing. If I'm doing my part it'll shoot .5 to 1in groups at 100 regularly.

Loaded up and with scope and bipod I'm 9.5ish lbs with my hunter. I can spot my shots but it's not a bear to carry

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a browning x bolt, stainless fluted, carbon pattern duratouch stock, shot show special that matches your description exactly. It is a tack driver with two load combos (150 and 165’s). The rifle is light, handy, and accurate And has accounted for a lot of elk and deer. You could always have the barrel threaded after the fact it is cheap and should be a quick job for most gunsmiths.

If function is all you seek - since it is a 2nd rifle, just get a cheap Savage Axis II. Or a Ruger American / TC Venture for just a bit more.

Basically any bolt gun these days will shoot sub-moa. 308 seems a curious choice, but to each his own. 6.5 CM/PRC/7mm-08 would shoot a lot softer from a light rifle and still kill elk.

ODB

WKR
I’d never own a Tikka because I like Model 70s and Mausers, which makes me a glutton for punishment to some degree.

but if i were the type of guy who asked random guys for rifle advice, I’d do the smart thing and buy a damn Tikka and stop calling them fanboys. When shit works, shit works.

16Bore

WKR
I’d never own a Tikka because I like Model 70s and Mausers, which makes me a glutton for punishment to some degree.

but if i were the type of guy who asked random guys for rifle advice, I’d do the smart thing and buy a damn Tikka and stop calling them fanboys. When shit works, shit works.

I don’t understand how a fella can hunt with one rifle, claim he needs another, but can’t “pick” one. Perhaps this means he’ll lower his standards and play along to get along with the fanboys.

But of course, referring to a “fanboy” in essence, makes one a “fanboy”. Just on the opposite side of the tracks.

Bryan_R

FNG
I just picked up a Bergara Ridge in 308 and highly recommend it.

Checks everything off on your list, and was shooting .5 inch groups with factory ammo right out of the box at 100.

I’m a trigger snob, and have upgraded triggers on pretty much every rifle I own, but was impressed with the one on the Ridge. I believe it’s set at 2.5 lbs?

For under $750, it is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
Another pre-64 Win 70 fanboy here, but for what your looking for, I think you want a Tikka.

If you want to join the Win 70 family, they do make a Win 70 that almost checks all your boxes, minus the detachable mag and the barrel is 24". Look up the Coyote Light Suppressor Ready from Winchester. It's going to hit closer to the $1k mark but dang, I've been salivating over one. For a lightweight and 22" barrel they make the Model 70 Extreme Tungsten but it's going to be closer to the $1.2K or up price range.

Another option is the Winchester XPR Suppressor Ready series. It's going to literally check all your boxes (They even have the Stealth series that has a 16.5" Barrel for the ultimate brush gun!), and they are well below the price your looking at. That said, I have not ever shot one, and probably never will unless a buddy buys one. I'm just too far into the Model 70 fan club to jump ship now. In conclusion my conclusion is that I wouldn't recommend anything but the Tikka to a buddy that was looking for something besides a Model 70... so... They just seem to work so damn well for the money! But I think you should be just like me and shoot a model 70!!! :)

Sounds like a Tikka CTR would be a great fit.

7bd914afac9ecd183f82874f1702fca0.jpg

fb096ea15eafafda5dd6c5f0f6246e38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
You can pick up a used model 70 classic with a boss break on it for sub 600 if you look around. After your gunsmith cuts off the boss break, he can thread it. I know it isn’t exactly what you asked for, but it is a great rifle to have as a backup.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up and tested a Mauser M18 in a .243 on a whim for a cheap cabin gun last week. The gun was 399 from Sport Optics and I threw on an old Leupold I had laying around. The first time out with reloads 85gr SGK’s I shot a .6” group at 100 yards. Great adjustable trigger and 60-degree bolt. My buddies and I are impressed; like many of you, I have much “fancier”/“cooler“ guns that don’t shoot that well. I am now a big fan.

OP
T

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
@Throwin Darts What is the barrel profile on that rifle?

All, I appreciate the advice! Anyone have any idea when there are typically sweet sales on Tikkas or Winchesters?