rifle suggestions

Spoonbill

WKR
@Throwin Darts What is the barrel profile on that rifle?

All, I appreciate the advice! Anyone have any idea when there are typically sweet sales on Tikkas or Winchesters?
CDNN Sports has some Winchesters on sale. Just need to check and see. Grabagun had Tikkas for cheap too. Also, gunbroker is worth a look

Usmcff

WKR
The ruger American is cheap, and is built cheaply. The trigger group does not inspire confidence.
but the damn thing has worked well for me, is more accurate than other 308s I have costing 4x as much.
View attachment 185936
Another vote here for the American, however I wouldn’t really call them built cheaply. To me at least, they feel a lot better built than most of the newer Remington and savage axis rifles I’ve held. I have 4 of these ruger Americans so far. 2 base models one in .243 and 30-06, one predator in 6.5crd, and one go wild in 7mm-08. Ive never had a chambering issue, trigger issue, or anything out of any of them. They simply just shoot and shoot accurately and are my go to guns.

11boo

WKR
Hey all, I couldn't find a thread that seemed to have the information I am after.

I am looking for a 308 to be a general purpose hunting back up rifle in the Rockies. Ideally it has...
-Short-ish 20-22" barrel that is factory threaded. Trying to balance the extra length of a can and still getting respectable velocity.
-Detachable mag fed preferred.
-I want it to be lighter weight, good quality, and accurate (preferably capable of sub MOA with handloads)
-Must handle well but I don't have a preference between blued, stainless, wood or synthetic. Function first.
-In the $500-800 range.

I know there are a lot of Tikka fanboys on here but I haven't owned one yet. Browning, Savage, Tikka, _________? Does anyone have a specific model suggestion or real experience with something fitting? I get a 30% Savage discount but I have seen Tikkas on sale for about the same price.

Thanks in advance. If there is a thread somewhere I missed that could answer my query, please point me in that direction.
These are coming this summer in the 1500.00 range. Very light and compact.

F18BEA2B-A756-4F60-826B-793DAB45F41C.png

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
For the $$ and what you clearly said you were looking for... short barrel, threaded, 308 it's going to be pretty much impossible to beat the ruger american predator w/18" threaded barrel. i own one and love it except for the trigger, i trimmed and worked mine down a lil and killed a ton of yotes w/it and few whitetail. My handloads for that ruger shoot 1/4", yes .25 moa i figure i got lucky on the barrel but it's a tack driving dude, all my loads i pushed thru it shooting 165 SST's shot less than MOA. I'm a huge tikka fan and you can't ever go wrong w/a tikka so nobody can chime in on me being ruger biased lol. My wife shoots the tikka compact 308 w/20" barrel, i have hers loaded more for velocity than accuracy w/the 150 SST's. Shes killed an antelope at 475 and last years was at 575. I was in same scenario you are looking for rifle's w/shorter barrels to run a can on to hunt. I have a Tikka 7 mag i cut barrel down to 20" and and a 300wm tikka i cut down to 22". Have yet to see a tikka that wouldn't shoot. If your not dead set on 308 and want a short barrel rifle to run a can on to hunt with i would look at the 7-08. Personally if i were you and had the funds i would buy a Tikka 7-08, cut the barrel down to 19-20" and thread it and enjoy....just my .02