Rifle suggestions

I am looking to get into rifle hunting out west and was hoping some of you may have suggestions for me. I am pretty much decided on getting a .300 win mag, but am up in the air about which one. The ultimate goal would be a gun that is decent to carry on backcountry hunts as well as being solid out to 400-500 yards. I am not someone who will do extensive target shooting for fun if that makes any difference. I would like to stay under $1200 or so, but most of them I have been checking out are $650-$1000. The main guns I have in mind at this time are x-bolt, weatherby vanguard/howa 1500, tikka, ruger m77, etc.

Thanks in advance
Brant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a tikka guy. The brownings flat out shoot as well. I think a t3x in a 300 win mag with a 180 Barnes/ accubond is about as good as it gets. If you do some digging you may come up with a sako in your price range. Best wishes

Do your own research on rifles. Everyone has their flavor. You don't need to spend $1000+ to get an accurate shooting rifle nowadays, take that saved money and put it towards a good scope.

Zdub02

WKR
I love my x-bolt. It's been very reliable and shoots great. I've also had good experience with the savage 110. Both would fit your requirements.

My advice is to not take my advice on rifles. The past 4 centerfire rifles I have bought have gone back to the factory. They weren't cheap rifles either.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard RC 300 WM a few years ago, and I have been generally happy with it shooting Hornady 200 gr ELD-X factory ammo.

I get about .75 MOA and I think it;s mainly due to the factory ammo.

It weighs about 7.75 lbs, so it's not a lightweight rifle, but it does help absorb the recoil.

It has been a solid performer, but I am switching to a Manners carbon stock and Proof Research barrel in 7mm RM next year.

Love my Christensen Arms Mesa and Tikka. Both great lightweight options in your price range. Have a Leupold VX-5 on top of both

OP
wilterdink54
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like the research I have done so far is pretty in line. I think I am probably going to stick to the $600-800 range on the rifle. I’m planning on putting a Zeiss conquest scope on it.

I am a big fan of my tikkas. I am less of a fan of my Remington’s FWIW. You could get a stainless lite in that price range.

you may also wish to consider the 300. 308, 6.5, 30-06 and a number of other popular cartridges will get you to 400-500. A 300 WM will beat up your shoulder and burn up your $$ and barrel faster than some other rounds. I don’t know if your plans include moose or brown bear, but there are a lot of hunters on this forum that might say you could get away with less cartridge for deer and elk.

letrbuck

WKR
I will always be a big fan of Ruger 77s. They're built well, shoot great, and I like the ruger ring system and their 3 position safety. If you want controlled round feed, they are your huckleberry. Only downside is they tend to be a little heavier.

Weatherby Vanguard/Howa are probably the best value hunting rifles around. You get a lot of gun for the price.

LOTS of Tikka fans on this forum. And for good reason.

I've shot a 300WM X-bolt a buddy has, and it is very accurate, but just doesnt feel right to me.

All are great options, see if you can get your hands on several, and pick what feels best

Last edited:
OP
wilterdink54
I am a big fan of my tikkas. I am less of a fan of my Remington’s FWIW. You could get a stainless lite in that price range.

you may also wish to consider the 300. 308, 6.5, 30-06 and a number of other popular cartridges will get you to 400-500. A 300 WM will beat up your shoulder and burn up your $$ and barrel faster than some other rounds. I don’t know if your plans include moose or brown bear, but there are a lot of hunters on this forum that might say you could get away with less cartridge for deer and elk.

I have certainly thought about some of the other cartridges, but would like to use it for a moose hunt in the next few years so I was thinking I might as well get one really good gun that will do it all.

OP
wilterdink54
I will always be a big fan of Ruger 77s. They're built well, shoot great, and I like the ruger ring system and their 3 position safety. If you want controlled round feed, they are your huckleberry. Only downside is they tend to be a little heavier.

Weatherby Vanguard/Howa are probably the nest value hunting rifles around. You get a lot of gun for the price.

LOTS of Tikka fans on this forum. And for good reason.

I've shot a 300WM X-bolt a buddy has, and it is very accurate, but just doesnt feel right to me.

All are great options, see if you can get your hands on several, and pick what feels best

That’s exactly what I have been hearing about the vanguard. They sound like they shoot very well and I can only imagine they are well built having the weatherby name on them.

EmperorMA

WKR
From your list, I’d look hard at the Weatherby and Browning rifles. I personally cannot stand the Tikka stock, and a Tikka .270 Win kicks me harder than a .300 Win Mag in almost any other rifle. And I don’t shoot .300 mags, because they kick too hard and don’t really kill any better than smaller rounds with less recoil.

I’d also check out the Winchester XPR, a seriously accurate rifle that at half your budget would leave great room for great glass.

You can also consider one of the Winchester Model 70s with your budget.

I personally wouldn’t go bigger than .270 WSM. Anything 6.5, .270 or 7mm will kill 100% as well as any tooth-rattling, neck-jarring, shoulder-dislocating .300 Mag. No pussy brake required!

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Id say you're on the right track. Id pick up a Tikka or Vanguard in the $500ish range and then top it with Talley LW rings and a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 if you catch a sale that should put you in that $1200ish range and it will do everything you'd ever need it to. Good luck man

OP
wilterdink54
Id say you're on the right track. Id pick up a Tikka or Vanguard in the $500ish range and then top it with Talley LW rings and a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 if you catch a sale that should put you in that $1200ish range and it will do everything you'd ever need it to. Good luck man

How far about do you feel comfortable shooting with a 3-15x44? I assume that easily gets you to 300-400.

EmperorMA

WKR
How far about do you feel comfortable shooting with a 3-15x44? I assume that easily gets you to 300-400.

Not who the questioned was asked of, but I run a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 on one of my most accurate hunting rifles and I am quite comfortable with it out to 800 yards on steel and 600+ on game. I have never had to take a shot that long on an animal, but would have no qualms with that scope if I did.

I like this magnification range for my style of hunting because I am as likely to take a shot at 45 yards as I am 450. The glass on my Zeiss is VERY clear and the light gathering and ability to see in the dark are astounding. It is also crystal clear at max power, as well.

Good glass is worth its weight in gold, IMHO. If I had a $1,500.00 budget, I'd much rather spend $500 on the rifle and $1K on the scope than the other way around. I might stretch that to $1K each on a $2K budget, but would go back to $1.5K glass / $1K rifle for $2.5K ..... and so on, exponentially.

Last edited:
OP
wilterdink54
Not who the questioned was asked of, but I run a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 on one of my most accurate hunting rifles and I am quite comfortable with it out to 800 yards on steel and 600+ on game. I have never had to take a shot that long on an animal, but would have no qualms with that scope if I did.

I like this magnification range for my style of hunting because I am as likely to take a shot at 45 yards as I am 450. The glass on my Zeiss is VERY clear and the light gathering and ability to see in the dark are astounding. It is also crystal clear at max power, as well.

Good glass is worth its weight in gold, IMHO. If I had a $1,500.00 budget, I'd much rather spend $500 on the rifle and $1K on the scope than the other way around. I might stretch that to $1K each on a $2K budget, but would go back to $1.5K glass / $1K rifle for $2.5K ..... and so on, exponentially.

Thanks for the input that’s good to hear. I do think that sounds like a nice magnification range. Also I have heard that from lots of people to spend more on the scope than the rifle. Thanks for the input

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider

I killed an antelope at 413 yards with it in October but was only on 12x I’ve shot steel out to 1,000 with it, I love the 3-15x magnification range for a hunting scope

I am looking to get into rifle hunting out west and was hoping some of you may have suggestions for me. I am pretty much decided on getting a .300 win mag, but am up in the air about which one. The ultimate goal would be a gun that is decent to carry on backcountry hunts as well as being solid out to 400-500 yards. I am not someone who will do extensive target shooting for fun if that makes any difference. I would like to stay under $1200 or so, but most of them I have been checking out are $650-$1000. The main guns I have in mind at this time are x-bolt, weatherby vanguard/howa 1500, tikka, ruger m77, etc.

Thanks in advance
Brant

I would look at the tikka superlite. They are awesome.