RIFLE WEIGHT 6.5 vs. 7 lbs.

Lightest gun I ever shot was a 7 lb. all up tikka in .270. Had no real problems shooting it, but it got stolen. Thinking about a kimber hunter at 6.5 lbs. all up. Ya'll think 1/2 pound lighter would be significantly more difficult to shoot as in holding the rifle steady? I don't think recoil will be an issue with me and a .270.

Apollo117

WKR
Rifle weight plays a factor in steadying the rifle, but stock design may be more important. Do a search for an explanation by @Formidilosus. I believe he has explained how the shape/design of a rifle stock affects a shooter's ability to steady the rifle as well as how recoil is perceived.

The short answer is you can't just chalk it up to rifle weight.

Not sure I'd say .5lb would be significant, but it makes a difference. Rifle weight should be proportional to how far you plan on shooting, and inversely proportional to how far you plan on hiking. Shooting far? heavier rifle. Hiking far? Lighter rifle. Hiking and shooting far? Be in good shape ;).

16Bore

WKR
Stock construction matters more. Shoot a Montana side by side with a T3 and you’ll think differently.

OP
B
Stock construction matters more. Shoot a Montana side by side with a T3 and you’ll think differently.
Yeah I think I'm going to go with the superlite at sportsmans warehouse.Thing is, I've never liked there magazines much. Sometimes I like to carry it with one hand once in a while and it gets in the way. Also had one fall out on me last season. Might not have noticed it had it not hit my foot. I was wearing thick gloves and I think maybe I somehow snagged the catch. Still it happened once in 8 years. Whatever detachable mag., that could probably happen and its best to carry an extra with whatever rifle make. Maybe aftermarket bottom metal and magazine might help. one thing about tikka, they got a lot of aftermarket support. I also like the vertical grip option.

My buddy and I both have seekins elements. His is 7lbs 5oz and mine is 6lbs 8oz. They both shot 1/2 3 shot groups at 100. His gun is easier to spot shots as my gun rises more.

Short answer. No it won’t be harder to shoot a 6 1/2 lb gun as long as technique is good.

OP
B
My buddy and I both have seekins elements. His is 7lbs 5oz and mine is 6lbs 8oz. They both shot 1/2 3 shot groups at 100. His gun is easier to spot shots as my gun rises more.

Short answer. No it won’t be harder to shoot a 6 1/2 lb gun as long as technique is good.
Thanx for that info.

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think .5 pounds will make a difference but I would side with the heavier in your situation. When you are running that light you may have some issues steadying your rifle in certain situations. I have a Tikka that weighs 6.8 lbs. and sometimes getting the crosshairs to steady after big physical outputs can be difficult. Don’t have that issue with my 8.9 lb. elk rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Yeah I think I'm going to go with the superlite at sportsmans warehouse.Thing is, I've never liked there magazines much. Sometimes I like to carry it with one hand once in a while and it gets in the way. Also had one fall out on me last season. Might not have noticed it had it not hit my foot. I was wearing thick gloves and I think maybe I somehow snagged the catch. Still it happened once in 8 years. Whatever detachable mag., that could probably happen and its best to carry an extra with whatever rifle make. Maybe aftermarket bottom metal and magazine might help. one thing about tikka, they got a lot of aftermarket support. I also like the vertical grip option.

It’s not as much the mag as it is the checkering, IMO. The T3x is quite different, but I monkey with mine. Carry a full 5 rounder, plus 3 in the mag. If you carry with a chambered round, one extra. If you burn through the 3 (4 if you carry hot) then you’ll need a five rounder. If you burn through a 5 rounder, you’ve already lost.

CE3FE9BC-B202-41BA-8E2E-87CA7322A2E5.jpeg

I had a Kimber Montana .270 and felt recoil was less for me personally than my boat paddle stocked Ruger 77 .270, which weighed considerably more.
Stock fit IS everything when it comes to felt recoil.

Side note; I wish the Kimber shot as good as it felt... It's long gone now. I really wanted to like the Kimber but the accuracy just wasn't there.

khuber84

WKR
I've got a forbes 24B in 270, weighs 6.7# scoped. I wouldn't shoot it at game past 500y. Too dang light. A gun that light, just having it loaded into a bipod with different pressures can cause 3-4" impact changes, then you go to field and crap you have to shoot off ur pack and can't load rifle at all and you hit a foot high at 500y and beyond. Not my thing. Tight woods or high mountain I see the application. Anymore all my rifles are 8# loaded or more. My 338 rum and 300 norma improved are 11.5 and 10.5, and they're so steady and can shoot easily out to a very long ways.

Last edited:

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a forbes 24B in 270, weighs 6.4# scoped. I wouldn't shoot it at game past 500y. Too dang light. A gun that light, just having it loaded into a bipod with different pressures can cause 3-4" impact changes, then you go to field and crap you have to shoot off ur pack and can't load rifle at all and you hit a foot high at 500y and beyond. Not my thing. Tight woods or high mountain I see the application. Anymore all my rifles are 8# loaded or more. My 338 rum and 300 norma improved are 11.5 and 10.5, and they're so steady and can shoot easily out to a very long ways.

I have a Forbes 270 that now weighs 7lbs 1oz with a SWFA 3-9×42. I ran a couple of different scopes on it prior to the SWFA that were half the weight, but I kept experiencing scope failures. I was hesitant to go to a heavier scope for fear of changing my rifle weight from the 6.5 to 7lb threshold. Once I did, I felt like a dummy for not doing it 5 years ago. The benefits of having a reliable scope far outweigh the 8-10oz weight penalty. Also, the rifle now balances better, and easier to hold steady in field positions.

OP
B
Dont get me wrong, I love a 7 lb. rifle. I just have the opportunity to go a little lighter. But Ive never shot anything lighter. I really like the idea of the swfa fixed 6 even though it is listed at 20 oz. Whatever I get Ive decided Im going to be happy as long as everything functions right.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
Dont get me wrong, I love a 7 lb. rifle. I just have the opportunity to go a little lighter. But Ive never shot anything lighter. I really like the idea of the swfa fixed 6 even though it is listed at 20 oz. Whatever I get Ive decided Im going to be happy as long as everything functions right.

Go for it. My main point was just don't skimp on optics to save a few ounces. A SWFA fixed 6 is a great choice. Yes my rifle handles a little better now, but it was very usable at 6.5lbs. I took eleven deer/antelope with it st that weight. My longest shot was 340 yards in the sitting position. If i could find a lighter scope as durable as the one I have now, I would certainly consider dropping the weight.

OP
B
Go for it. My main point was just don't skimp on optics to save a few ounces. A SWFA fixed 6 is a great choice. Yes my rifle handles a little better now, but it was very usable at 6.5lbs. I took eleven deer/antelope with it st that weight. My longest shot was 340 yards in the sitting position. If i could find a lighter scope as durable as the one I have now, I would certainly consider dropping the weight.
Thanx for the good info. Did you by any chance try the swfa ultralite in 2.5-10x32?

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I have not. I was immediately turned off by the poor eye relief with the scope, and reluctant to try in on a lightweight rifle. I would have jumped all over it if the eye relief was in the 3.5" range with the option of a Mil-quad reticle.