Rifle Weight and Longer Range Shooting?

BCD

WKR
There is definitely a lot of consideration on this site given to lighter rifles. I'm curious as to peoples thoughts around if a rifle can be too light to shoot consistently accurate past say 4-500 yards. I seem to shoot better with a rifle that is around 7.5 lbs or more (bare rifle) compared to lighter rifles. Any thoughts here or have I just not mastered shooting lighter rifles well past that 350-400 Yard range?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My Tikka in .260 is 7 lbs 11 ounces scoped and full of ammo. This is a quick 400 yard 10 shot group with no rear rest just laying prone in the grass. No barrel cool down at all.

F15751C0-5E2A-4E09-A945-D37BDBEF3829.jpeg

Reactions: BCD
The general consensus is that light or ultra light (depending on how you view them) rifles, are in general more difficult to shoot accurately. Personally, for me, I have no problem shooting light rifles. But then I grew up shooting and hunting. As a kid, I went out for rabbits, quail and dove almost every day, during the season, by myself. I would not shoot unless I could hit them in the head. Subsequently, I became a pretty extraordinary shot. In highschool, I was a part of a group that went shooting every weekend, competing with each other with rifle, pistol and shotguns. And the story continues. But since this is not about me, I will continue.

Shooting light rifles is about form, achieving a stable solid rest and lots and lots of practice. A heavier rifle simply stabilizes much easier; but nobody wants to pack a heavy rifle miles and miles in the backcountry, unless someone or something else is carrying it. So my advice is to first analyze your hunting style.

Reactions: BCD

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Here’s a 5 shot group from yesterday at 400 yards making sure I was still doped correctly for Minnesota whitetail season after the long trip from California. Same rifle as above. Same story. Just laying prone in a field with a front bipod, no rear rest, simulating a quick field hunting shot.

B206D291-148D-44D8-BBD2-2F6EAF6580E8.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
WOW! Outstanding shooting. What state are you in? Maybe you could give me lessons :)
Thanks. I used to be a long range varmint competition shooter. Just years and years of practice and being comfortable.

I’m in Northern California and own 200 acres. I have targets surveyed in from 50 yards to 1,200 yards so come on out and have some fun!