Rifle weight for new Elk hunter

OP
slaughter31
I have Elk hunted for 20 + yrs with a 300 RUM with a 3-18 50 mm scope that weighs in the 9 lbs range.
I have hiked 50 miles per week and never felt it weighed too much. The other issue you need to understand with a 300 Weatherby is the lighter the rifle the more the perceived and actual recoil. In my opinion any
rifle in the 9 -10 lb range is good for Elk hunting.
Yes, I agree. The recoil is already pretty aggressive on the 300 WBY so I am not looking at going so light weight that I dislocate my shoulder :). From what I am hearing, around 9 lbs seems to be very average and manageable!

LightFoot

WKR
For sure, and I would be all over that rifle but I cant deny my love for the spiral fluting and it only comes on the limited...and the limited is the same weight. Man, I wish I didn't care about looks, it would save me $400. I wont be hunting that often so I am more apt to get the rifle I like the aesthetics of as well, not really being concerned that I am going to beat the crap out of it.
The Limited is the same weight according to the website. It looks good, too.

Go for it and don't look back.

Start gathering up ammo and/or components now. It's hard to find these days.

>>>----JAKE----->

WCB

WKR
Honestly unless you carry your rifle in your hands all the time I doubt you will notice the difference in a 7.5-10lb rifle with scope. I throw my sling over my pack stay when traveling or traversing terrain. It makes it to my actual shoulder when just creeping along. I only ever carry it in my hand when I am closing in or actively making a shot happen (i.e. jump and animal or looking for a shot opening)

OP
slaughter31
Thanks to all who replied! I believe my original plan is the way I will go. The rifle will end up being around 9 lbs and it seems like that is perfect for what I will be doing every few years. Also, if I decide not to run a break, the extra weight will be nice to absorb that recoil of the 300WBY.

I'm new to anything outside of Whitetail tree stand hunting so carrying a rifle around, I had no clue what was perceived as light and heavy.

Thanks!

I think about new rifles all the time. I’ve even bought a couple bee ones. But I always hunt with my cheapy old savage 110 30-06. Weight barely matters. I’d say up to about 8.5lbs you won’t notice much. I’m not pushing the savage, just saying you don’t need a super light weight or nice rifle. I hunt between 65-80 days a year and live in the mountains I hunt.

My advice for elk is whatever you shoot well and don’t mind beating up. Don’t worry about the rest.

sndmn11

WKR
For sure, and I would be all over that rifle but I cant deny my love for the spiral fluting and it only comes on the limited...and the limited is the same weight. Man, I wish I didn't care about looks, it would save me $400. I wont be hunting that often so I am more apt to get the rifle I like the aesthetics of as well, not really being concerned that I am going to beat the crap out of it.

I would bet $1 that the limited is right at 7lbs because of the fluting. That is the only difference between the LImited and the LT on a cursory look, and they both are a #2 barrel contour. I have found, at least in the four vanguards we have, that the weights on the website seem to be a little higher than real life.

Yes, I agree. The recoil is already pretty aggressive on the 300 WBY so I am not looking at going so light weight that I dislocate my shoulder :). From what I am hearing, around 9 lbs seems to be very average and manageable!
One other point. Don't be afraid to get a muzzle break. I did when I first got mine and I shoot 3/4 with it. It recoils less than a 7mm with the break. I shot my buddies without and my shoulder didn't like it...

What you’ve described is why Winchester developed the .270 years ago. A light weight mountain gun to kill elk with. At least that’s what I’ve read. I still love my 7 mag for any big game hi or low if I could put my bow down long enough

OP
slaughter31
What you’ve described is why Winchester developed the .270 years ago. A light weight mountain gun to kill elk with. At least that’s what I’ve read. I still love my 7 mag for any big game hi or low if I could put my bow down long enough
For sure.. I have a love affair with my 7mm rem mag. There is almost zero reason to not to keep my current Weatherby for my elk gun, outside of me wanting something more weatherproof (Cerakote or stainless). My Vangaurd 7mag is a blued barrel and before I beat it up hunting with it for another 15 years Id like my son to inherited a well taken care of firearm, so into the safe it goes while I buy a new toy! :)

And while the 7mag is ballistically superior to the 300wby prior to 3-400 yards, past about 500 yrds the 300 will maintain over the 1500 ft lbs needed for game the size of elk, while the 7mag drops below that.. Trust me, this is splitting hairs completely and the likelyhood of me making a shot that far are slim to none. And you can for sure kill an elk below that energy with proper placement, I absolutely understand that. However with how much I will actually be Elk hunting, and my high confidence at that range with this round anyways, if I run into a world class elk on the last day past that range and its a clean opportunity I want to have the most bang for the buck incase that shot hits a little forward or back..

Last edited:
you are making a good choice. I love my 300 WM but got a 300 RUM 15 yrs ago. Inside 300 yds they are similar. Over 400 the RUM drops very little and for me is a great Elk gun. The 300 WBY is similar. You can never have too much money, too many Elk rifle or.......

Thanks to all who replied! I believe my original plan is the way I will go. The rifle will end up being around 9 lbs and it seems like that is perfect for what I will be doing every few years. Also, if I decide not to run a break, the extra weight will be nice to absorb that recoil of the 300WBY.

I'm new to anything outside of Whitetail tree stand hunting so carrying a rifle around, I had no clue what was perceived as light and heavy.

Thanks!
You will want to run a break if nothing else to be able to see your impact thru the scope...I think a lot of folks underestimate this fact when they consider brakes...yes they are loud but if you don't like it get a can. Whatever it takes to be able to see your impact thru the scope...IDK maybe its just me but I hunt a lot solo....

My 300WM I can't see impact without at least a break...I like the can it's just KY rifle long on a 26" barrel.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I believe we may pack in on horse back for my first hunt but my desire to do a DIY in the future is high and see myself packing in on foot and camping. I think it will be a mixture between guided and DIY, and honestly I wont be hunting but every 2-3 years.
If you're packing in on a horse, then I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rifle at all. I also wouldn't even worry about getting a new gun. If you're going to do DIY backcountry, then 100 percent find the happy medium of lightweight and recoil. Light guns are amazing to carry, but suck to shoot when you get to the top end of the 30 cals. I personally don't believe in brakes...if it's hitting that hard to where you can't shoot it, then find something else to shoot in my opinion. My two rifles are the Kimber Hunter 6.5 and Remington AWR 30-06. If i'm going to be going further than four miles, then the Kimber is the gun i ALWAYS pick because to me the extra 3 lbs does become noticeable after a while. If you're going to go lightweight, then leave the big 50MM scope off of the gun because it honestly defeats the purpose of spending so much money on a "lightweight" rifle IMO. Ounces turn into LBS, and LBS turn into pain after so many miles. Everyone elses input has been pretty spot on. Best of luck.

OP
slaughter31
If you're packing in on a horse, then I wouldn't worry about the weight of the rifle at all. I also wouldn't even worry about getting a new gun. If you're going to do DIY backcountry, then 100 percent find the happy medium of lightweight and recoil. Light guns are amazing to carry, but suck to shoot when you get to the top end of the 30 cals. I personally don't believe in brakes...if it's hitting that hard to where you can't shoot it, then find something else to shoot in my opinion. My two rifles are the Kimber Hunter 6.5 and Remington AWR 30-06. If i'm going to be going further than four miles, then the Kimber is the gun i ALWAYS pick because to me the extra 3 lbs does become noticeable after a while. If you're going to go lightweight, then leave the big 50MM scope off of the gun because it honestly defeats the purpose of spending so much money on a "lightweight" rifle IMO. Ounces turn into LBS, and LBS turn into pain after so many miles. Everyone elses input has been pretty spot on. Best of luck.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting by horseback ( my favorite way to enjoy elk country) a 10 1/2 lb .340 Wea is about as perfect as a trophy elk gun. Even if still hunting after tying up the horses or hunting from spike camp without the horses. I always had better choices than the .340 for white tails.
If you are going to be going up and down elk mountains day and night for 7-10 days then a nice 300 Mag of some persuasion at 8lbs scoped does make a difference for me. I feel a 2 1/2 lb weight difference on a rifle going up and down mtns helps me quite a bit. One pound increase to nine pounds is not going to make a great difference . If you go to light you then might reach stability and recoil issues.

OzarkOaks

FNG
If you own a fast seven and you are shooting nw arkansas deer then just keep that as your deer rifle. I would either use that for elk or buy a rifle with only elk hunting in mind. If you fancy a new rifle I would pass over the 30 cal and go 340 weatherby. That caliber needs weight. Ultralight rifles are great in regular long action calibers in the 30-06 family or short action calibers in the 308 family. An ultralight in 30-06 is not a bad choice for a crossover rifle for deer and occasional elk. If you want to cut weight, but still have a gun that will be pleasant to shoot then I would stay out of the fast 30's. This is especially true if you plan spot your own shots at distance.

If you haven't backpacked much out west, my advice would be to take that rifle money and use it to get up in the high country. Binoculars and spotters aren't cheap. Good navigation equipment isn't cheap. If you don't own any of this stuff and the rifle you have is a good shooter I would be looking to spend money on glass, boots, and getting experience in the high country. Then I'd spend it on more tags and more hunts.

Elkhntr08

WKR
My Weathermark is a 300 Weatherby, wears a Leupold VX5HD 3.5-15 Firedot in Talley mounts. With 3 rounds and sling, it weighs 9# 8.8 oz. It’s about 2 oz heavier than my laminate stock Model 70 in 325 wsm, but recoil feels a lot less. I believe the synthetic stock help with that. Also, it doesn’t have a break.
If I was worried about carry weight, I’d lose 5# off my waist before 2# off my gun.

Fullfan

WKR
When I rifle hunted I carried several guns over the years, Mostly m77 in the boat paddle stock in .7mag and .338. After 8-10 days of hiking trying to find a good bull, I would start to notice the 9 pound gun. The last few years I rifle hunted I carried a Kimber Montana. It was a nice change and did what I asked to on three occasions. Have since started to chase them in Sept with a 4 pound bow, much better...

bear run

FNG
MY Weatherby Accumark, #3 barrel, brake, 50mm scope red dot, sling, 4 rounds, .300 Weatherby, 12.5 pounds
packing weight. 6 inch bipod was added as well.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having packed old 9.5 pd woodys through the 80s,90s and early 2000s when I was young no big deal on 2000-4000k ascent days, but once you convert to a rifle that is in the mid 7.5 pd range that shoots well and your in the upper age class for mountain hunting don’t know many that are packing heavier guns on days you are climbing for hours day after day...🤙wish they had these in the 80s as an option and I recommend go as lite as you can shooting well....good luck last one with the old woody 2002 it shot very well and took abuse nicely but much prefer the synthetic two pd less version👍

Attachments

• F8CD2FF4-D878-45A9-96BF-DC8296665022.jpeg
    F8CD2FF4-D878-45A9-96BF-DC8296665022.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0D17172C-075A-4D52-AD09-72E2E4E6428B.jpeg
    0D17172C-075A-4D52-AD09-72E2E4E6428B.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 28E70A28-9AED-460D-BBB5-EAB11D7DD59B.jpeg
    28E70A28-9AED-460D-BBB5-EAB11D7DD59B.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 47B70B96-9CE7-4D16-BB40-C34A51AD52D8.jpeg
    47B70B96-9CE7-4D16-BB40-C34A51AD52D8.jpeg