Rifle Weight / General weight discussion

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Over the last couple of years, I have had an addiction with building rifles. Well, not me, but a gun maker. My last 2 rifles I had built specifically for sheep hunting. I do have a couple sheep hunts booked, but have not been. I have however done many backpack trips but they are mostly lower 48 CO type of trips. I have made several attempts in trying to duplicate a sheep hunt with food rationing and overall pack weight. What I have recently noticed in my quest to be sub 50 pounds, is that my 10.4lbs rifle build are probably too heavy. The original intent was to make a rifle I was comfortable with out to any distance (I.e. wide stock, heavy contour...etc.). I guess my real question is - is a couple pounds really worth sacrificing these amenities? I get it, every pound is exponential when sheep hunting. Build a lighter rifle or not? Shave a couple pounds off my butt? Is it the same? Thoughts? Thanks!

TxxAgg

WKR
Just making sure I follow...You built two sheep rifles and they are both over 10 pounds?

I can’t speak to the custom side because I don’t even know what it’s like to shoot a rifle that’s more than about $600, but I can get em at under 7 lbs and they all shoot to 500 yds stock. It doesn’t take a fancy/heavy rifle to shoot that far. By all means, build a nice custom sheep rifle, but you’re 3 lbs too heavy. Assuming you’re going guided for sheep, talk with them. They likely won’t even let you shoot over 400-500 yds. Shooting sheep over that range is a recipe for you leaving an unrecoverable sheep on the mtn and coming home empty handed.

HNTR918

WKR
I can’t speak to the custom side because I don’t even know what it’s like to shoot a rifle that’s more than about $600, but I can get em at under 7 lbs and they all shoot to 500 yds stock. It doesn’t take a fancy/heavy rifle to shoot that far. By all means, build a nice custom sheep rifle, but you’re 3 lbs too heavy. Assuming you’re going guided for sheep, talk with them. They likely won’t even let you shoot over 400-500 yds. Shooting sheep over that range is a recipe for you leaving an unrecoverable sheep on the mtn and coming home empty handed.

I agree, a sheep rifle should be sub 7lbs with scope.

If you need a heavy rifle to feel comfortable, then reduce the cartridge size along with the rifle size!

The end of every hunting season goes the same way:
#1 Sell what didn't get used or didn't work.
#2 Learn what worked, what when wrong, and how to improve.
#3 Get in better physical condition.
#4 Replace the most used items with items that weigh less and therefore cost more.
#5 Add more comfort so the mental game is easier.
#6 Repeat 1-5.

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, a sheep rifle should be sub 7lbs with scope.

If you need a heavy rifle to feel comfortable, then reduce the cartridge size along with the rifle size!

The end of every hunting season goes the same way:
#1 Sell what didn't get used or didn't work.
#2 Learn what worked, what when wrong, and how to improve.
#3 Get in better physical condition.
#4 Replace the most used items with items that weigh less and therefore cost more.
#5 Add more comfort so the mental game is easier.
#6 Repeat 1-5.

Simple and a great idea. My hoarding desires might be tested.

For most a heaver rifle is easier to stabilize and shoot accurately, while a lighter or ultra-light rifle is much more difficult and compounds any difficulties which are exhibited in accuracy difficulties of the shooter. As such, you need the time to get used to a light rifle, if you can adapt, or a rifle of the weight you can accurately shoot.

4Cody4

FNG
I think it’s important to carry a rifle that you are confident and shoot well. I’ve never been on a sheep hunt and can’t speak to how much difference 3 lbs in rifle weight makes, but I just bought a rifle to go down in recoil and up in weight so I felt comfortable practicing and shooting on a hunt.
I’ll get in better shape if I have to, and carry a rifle that shoots and I’m confident with.

handwerk

WKR
I think the sweet spot for most backpack rifles in non magnum cartridges is 7 1/2-8 lbs. scoped.
This winter I had put together a new model 70 280 AI in a mcm edge stock which comes in a little under 8lbs. scoped. Every time I grab it it still seems light to me, shoots/balances well and doesn't beat me up when shooting.
I've had several 6-7 lbs. rigs and they were just too light for my liking when it came to shooting well.

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I think the sweet spot for most backpack rifles in non magnum cartridges is 7 1/2-8 lbs. scoped.
This winter I had put together a new model 70 280 AI in a mcm edge stock which comes in a little under 8lbs. scoped. Every time I grab it it still seems light to me, shoots/balances well and doesn't beat me up when shooting.
I've had several 6-7 lbs. rigs and they were just too light for my liking when it came to shooting well.
This is kind where I’m at. I have several light rifles that are extremely light and packable, but similar to you, I just don’t shoot light rifles well. My ultimate dilemma is - weight or comfortability. Like some have said some range time with a light rifle could correct it. It’s just hard I know I can stack holes with a different rifle.

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s important to carry a rifle that you are confident and shoot well. I’ve never been on a sheep hunt and can’t speak to how much difference 3 lbs in rifle weight makes, but I just bought a rifle to go down in recoil and up in weight so I felt comfortable practicing and shooting on a hunt.
I’ll get in better shape if I have to, and carry a rifle that shoots and I’m confident with.

I agree. I also don’t want to highly regret carrying a heavy rifle.

Cody_W

WKR
My advise would be shoot an ultralight non-magnum and shoot It a lot before you go. Most trouble with shooting light rifles reliably is that they don’t mask breakdowns in form like heavier rifles do. The lighter rifle will expose your weak points. At sub 500 yards a nonmagnum cartridge won’t have any issues dropping any ram.
A good bipod and an ultralight rear rest will negate some of the stability issues if you’ve previously shot off your pack. The rear bag may be a bit tricky in sheep country to use effectively though.

Here is a good one.https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sap-lightweight-bag

Last edited:
Every rifle I own ends up being right around 7 lbs. scoped.

I think that came from growing up with a Winchester 94 30-30 in my hands. Anything over 7 to 7.5 lbs. just feels like a boat anchor to me.

I have no problem shooting sub-MOA groups with 7 lb. rifles out to 400 yards off my pack or a decent rest, and that's as far as I ever really expect to shoot at a live critter anyway. So I just don't really see the need for a heavier rifle.

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Having packEd close to 10 pd rifle for decades my 7.6 pd tikka is a joy to pack all over tall mountains especially as I get very close to 60🤙

Yes sir! Makes sense. Carrying the rifle is 99.9% of it, the rest is a 2 second trigger squeeze. Bad thing, its the most important part.

MHWASH

WKR
How about putting a heavier scope on one of your light rifles with the end goal of a 7-8# rifle.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'll also add, when you say you dont shoot a light rifle well, how are you quantifying that? Are you talking about shooting MOA instead of .5 MOA? hahah. Seriously, practice shooting at lifesize animal targets. My son and I will make lifesize cardboard cutouts, go out and set them up at varying yardages from 100 to 400 yards, shoot them, then ensure they were kill shots. This will give you renewed confidence in a gun sometimes for sure.

Carrying a heavy rifle for a day or two is not that big of an issue. But day after day in sheep country it can wear on you. Especially days 8, 9, 10, etc. There's a reason your pack tends to get lighter as your hunt progresses.

I took a 8# 300 Win Mag on my sheep hunt. I went with that caliber because I also had a grizzly tag. That particular rifle was as light as I'd want it from a recoil perspective and as heavy as I'd want it from "grind" perspective.

Try to keep your "loaded" setup in the 7-8# range. You'll thank yourself during your hunt. Practice a lot from various shooting positions. Consider buying a "practice" rifle (same model/rings/base/scope) in a smaller caliber if you're having consistent issues shooting a "lighter" weapon.

When it is all said and done, it is very simple. Bring whichever legal firearm that you are not afraid of and also shoot very well.