Rifle weight. Is it worth it?

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a custom 30 Nosler (rbros) that I love. It currently has a NXS 5.5x22 on it. Ready to go it weighs in around 10 lbs. in the next few years I have a NZ Tahr/Chamois hunt and a Mountain Goat hunt on the books. I would like to eventually add a Dall hunt as well. Since these hunts are guided it seems shots will be limited. My question is “Would it be worth moving to a Swarovski scope with ballistic reticle ( ie z5 with the brx reticle). This would save me a little over a pound. I would lose the ability to dial but also lighten up the rifle. It seems that outfitters tend to limit shots to 3-400 yards so not sure it is worth carrying the NXS. Probably overthinking it.
Cheers

It is only worth it to me if it increases my odds of success and I will enjoy the setup. If you could accomplish what your shooting goals are with something lighter would 100% go lighter. My rifle this year lost 1.5 lbs and is 7lbs loaded. There are some trade offs for the weight but it sure looks purty!

I have never done the guide thing so assume that reduces some of the items your packing so maybe not as big of an issue for your upcoming hunts.

j3h8

FNG
If you can carry the weight and be successful, then it's worth it for you. I personally find the lighter my gear the better I can hunt. I'm fat and getting older every year, light weight is a good thing for me. Some folks cannot shoot a light weight rifle to save their life. So make sure whatever you choose you are proficient. 10lbs is not all that heavy of a rifle if you can jump it around all day and you know it inside and out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I draw the line at about 8lbs for mountain rifles. I have a 30-06 that is 8lbs and it’s such a good shooter that I take it sometimes, if I’m really backpacking though, I have a Kimber that comes in under 6lbs.

The one thing I wish a lot of my hunters would do, is show up with a lighter rifle. Thinhorn has it right, a mountain hunter doesn't need a rifle that weighs more than 8 lbs.

Dinger

WKR
I currently have a custom 30 Nosler (rbros) that I love. It currently has a NXS 5.5x22 on it. Ready to go it weighs in around 10 lbs. in the next few years I have a NZ Tahr/Chamois hunt and a Mountain Goat hunt on the books. I would like to eventually add a Dall hunt as well. Since these hunts are guided it seems shots will be limited. My question is “Would it be worth moving to a Swarovski scope with ballistic reticle ( ie z5 with the brx reticle). This would save me a little over a pound. I would lose the ability to dial but also lighten up the rifle. It seems that outfitters tend to limit shots to 3-400 yards so not sure it is worth carrying the NXS. Probably overthinking it.
Cheers
You'll despise that 10lb rifle on a Tahr hunt! I bet a helium filled scope will be on your wishlist before you shoot your first tahr ;)

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building a .338 Norma Magnum and just bought a nearly 3lb Maven scope to stick on it. Just workout harder and you wont even notice it.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Light is right as long as its reliable. Don't need more than 15x, reliable dialing and reticle that is not too thick or too thin! 6-24 sightronS3 would be perfect Thar rig if it had a slightly thicker reticle.

Decker9

WKR
I’m in the middle of picking out a scope for my new custom lightweight sheep rifle, and am leaning towards NF. When a guys sometimes days away from a fix, a faulted scope can ruin a hunt fast. Though Iv never experienced a failure with my vx5 or swarvo rifle scopes, I’m still leaning towards the NF. Mountain terrain and weather can be tough on stuff, and from what Iv read, NF scopes are just tougher.

10x is perfectly capable of 400 +/- yards, I’d be looking at the nxs compact 3-10 personally.

8.5-9# all up in a modestly recoiling cartridge is the sweet spot for me. Reliability is more important than magnification and zero retention is probably just as important as tracking. On a sheep hunt your rifle will get bumped around more than it will get dialed up and down. That's why i think the NXS compact 2.5-10 or SWFA 3-9 are a great compromise for a weight conscious mountain rifle.

I've gone both ways, from the uber light rifles to a heavier setup. If you're going with a guide, find out what the longest shot they'll let you take is. If it's under 300, then get a stupid light setup and get proficient at that range. If it's unlimited range and you're capable, just take what you have or whatever you shoot the best. The difference in pack weight between a crazy light rifle and heavy is usually just a couple days of food.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Currently in the middle of the decision as well -- I have a Sako .270 with a run of the mill scope that I shoot lights-out. I have a new Kimber .300WM Montana with a lighter scope that I'm just learning to shoot. It's 9.8lbs vs 6.5 -- I'm fortunate in that three pounds is not a big deal given the rest of my pack and my age/fitness level so it will boil down to confidence when I head to Dall Sheep country but I'm hoping I feel as good or better with the .300WM than I do my .270.

buzzy

WKR
Look at the Leupold VX 5 or 6 line. They have a zero stop and dial up MOA and come in at 19 ounces I believe so about a lb lighter than Nightforce. I went in this direction to save that lb of wt with my new rifle build.

Ram94

WKR
Look at the Leupold VX 5 or 6 line. They have a zero stop and dial up MOA and come in at 19 ounces I believe so about a lb lighter than Nightforce. I went in this direction to save that lb of wt with my new rifle build.
There are a couple nightforce scopes that come in a 21oz.

If I were in your shoes i wouldn't mess with a great shooting rifle/system.

Consider a tikka rifle that you could swap your NXS on to for that hunt, you'd be right at 8 pounds with not much money invested!

OP
COwineguy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. What is everyones opinion on the Swaro Z5s? That would save a pound. I have thought about all kinds of options. Also thought about building another gun. Go 300 WSM with a light weight scope. More than likely the Rbros will be making the trip just can't decide if I should trim it up a bit. I hate messing with a system that shoots but I also hate the idea of leaving a custom rifle home for a big hunt. Kind of defeats the purpose of building a gun.

For me only worth if you feel it helps you shoot better I want to have total confidence in my rig longer distance too you never know what opportunities you’ll get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Don't go with the Swaro BRX reticle. Get the BRH. The BRX is too fine and you'll lose it in dim light.

I have the Swaro Z3 3-10 BRH on my .300 Win Mag mountain build. It weighs 7.5lbs all in. I wouldn't go with anything heavier. This is the perfect rifle for my needs. IMO, the Z3 3-10 is about the perfect non-dial mountain rifle scope.

I don't think you need the Z5 unless you want magnification. 10X is plenty in the sheep mountains. Just my opinion.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the input. What is everyones opinion on the Swaro Z5s? That would save a pound. I have thought about all kinds of options. Also thought about building another gun. Go 300 WSM with a light weight scope. More than likely the Rbros will be making the trip just can't decide if I should trim it up a bit. I hate messing with a system that shoots but I also hate the idea of leaving a custom rifle home for a big hunt. Kind of defeats the purpose of building a gun.
A custom rifle is built for a specific purpose. When you built that 28 did you envision these hunts or as your one and done? Sounds like the rifle you built does not match your next few years goals.