Rifle weight. Is it worth it?

I would echo most folks here, I have a, 10.5lb 7mag, can I carry it all day and hunt with it from the valley floor to 11kft, Yes, is it more comfortable to carry a 7.5-8lb rifle absolutely. For me personally a 7.5-8.5lb rifle is where its at, moderate recoil, shootable, easier to carry, etc.

This is a great opportunity for you to build a short action cartridge and get a lightweight scope, NXS 2.5-10x then you have your long range heavy hitter and a shorter range lightweight mountain rifle.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my barrel hasn't melted down at the range yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it! :D

At 5 lbs, 7 ozs., this rifle would be a pleasure to carry - not sure how well I would shoot it. (I have no affiliation with the gun or listing).

cbeard64

WKR
I have never fallen under the spell of the Siren’s song that is long range shooting. IMO for most hunters it creates more problems than it solves. The guides I have had over the past 20 years are certainly of that opinion. I haven’t met a ram yet I couldn’t get within 400 yards of. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

This simplifies things. I don’t spend a lot of time at the range, I don’t need a honking big scope, and I don’t need a heavy rifle. I do prefer enough weight to be able to steady the gun under field conditions. For me that’s a compact rifle that’s easy to carry and weighs about 7.5 lbs.

My Leupolds have never let me down, but I have been thinking about getting that NXS 2.5-10x because of its durability. It seems like the perfect mountain rifle optic to me.

Thin barrels and small scopes definitely appear to be the way to save weight. Pretty tough to put a light weight rifle together that you can take to the range and shoot without melting the barrel.
I didn’t put anything together… bought it from Weatherby and with that six lbs rifle/scope I can put three in a row in a 6” target at 600 yards from a cold barrel. That’s two more bullets than I usually need to kill an animal.