Sold Rifles Inc. Strata in .280 Remington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is probably one of those regretful decisions. Anyone who has ever held a 5 lb. 1oz. accurate long action rifle probably can relate. This is a Rifles Inc. Strata in .280 Remington. I’ve had this awhile and intended to send it to Rick at ERW and have it rechambered to .280 Ackley for $175. But I’ve found another ultralight .280AI that I couldn’t live without and it delivers tomorrow. So this nice Strata is available. Some specs: barrel + brake is 23-1/2” to the recoil lug, LOP is 13-5/8”, the stock by itself weighs an amazing 15.3 ounces, and the reworked Walker trigger is very crisp with a pull of 2 lbs, 12 oz. The stock is nicely bedded as you would expect from Lex. The stock color is what I would call a forest green. It has more pigment than olive green, but definitely not a bright color. Since I’m anal about cosmetics, I’ll give you the rundown. The Rifles Inc buttpad has some scuffs, like it was once on a store rack. It’s all there and in great shape, but just has some surface scuffs. The bolt knob and crown of the integral slimbrake muzzle brake have some Cerakote loss. The BDL bottom metal is perfect. And there are a few small spots in the Cerakote on the top of the barrel about 5” from the crown.

Other features include an E series Remington 700 action that was accurized by Lex. The action is machine significantly to lighten the weight, the bolt is fluted and the bolt knob is skeletonized. The muzzle brake works very nicely. I don’t know the brand of barrel that Lex installed on this one. And as stated above, the bare rifle weighs only 5 pounds, 1.3 ounces. It weights just 6 lbs, 12.6 ounces as pictured with the Swaro Z8i 2-16x50 and Talley lightweights.

Most importantly, the rifle is a shooter. Since I was planning to rechamber to .280AI, I took the rifle to the range to confirm the barrel and action were worthy of further investment. The rifle shot ¾ MOA with some old, inexpensive factory ammo I was able to find. I do not know the round count. I don’t know the twist rate. I just know it’s accurate, which is what one should expect from a $4,000 Strata.

The Swarovski Z8i is not included in the sale. I’ll include the Talley 30mm medium rings if you want them. Price is $2,300 shipped. The rifle will be cross-posted, so first public “I’ll Take It” by timestamp prevails. I’m not really interested in trades, but if you have a Cooper 92 Backcountry in 6.5x284 or other caliber I don’t already have, I’m listening. Drop me a PM if you have questions or need more info. I usually respond promptly. Thanks for looking and good shooting!

Keith

IMG_0573.jpgIMG_0584.jpgIMG_0575.jpgIMG_0586.jpgIMG_0577.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0592.jpgIMG_0594.jpgIMG_0585.jpg

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If you Google it you’ll find they are in Pleasanton TX and Cedar City, Utah. The Utah location comes up under Lina Webernick’s name, who is Lex’s wife. He builds the rifles, she runs the business.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Muley, I have no idea on the build location. Regardless of which state they are built in, Lex makes an awesome rifle. I have two other Strata's, in 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06AI, and they are shooters.

Keith

wyosteve

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not that it matters, but I believe Lex builds all his rifles in Texas now. He moved there from Utah a number of years ago. Wish I had a use for a .280. I have a Strata in .338 Win. Mag. that I use for pretty much everything.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
At the request of a forum member, I called Lina at Rifles Inc. to find out more about the rifle. She had a short record of it. They built the rifle in 1998, which explains the Cedar City, UT engraving. And she was 99% sure it has a Lilja barrel. Lex built it in 280 Remington, so there has not been a barrel change. No twist information. Hope this helps.

Trapperj, the muzzle brake is integral to the barrel, so not threaded. If you chose to have it threaded, you could do so and still have about 22" of barrel length prior to the brake.

Keith

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Someone needs to jump on it. I'm really starting to reconsider it, and spend $350 to have it rechambered to .280AI and fresh Cerakote applied.

Keith

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Be careful, sometimes a rechambering changes the accurracy of the rifle. It changes chamber dimensions and barrel harmonics. Its not always a positive outcome. Ask me how I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.