Rifles Inc.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about their rifles? Looking at a lightweight strata. At 5lbs though it may be too light for longer range.

Knowing about compounding interest it'd be hard to look past a Barrett fieldcraft used at that 1300$ mark

That being said splash for one in a fast twist unique something, beat on it and report back.

mcseal2

WKR
I had them build a lightweight 70 for me, basically the Winchester version of the Strata. I like the 3 position safety on the Winchester. Mine is in a 300 win mag and killed the moose in the picture. It shoots a shade over .5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards when I do my part. The most impressive thing to me is that the first shot with a cold barrel clean or dirty lands darn near perfect every time. I've shot it in 100 degrees and 0 degrees from my bench and it keeps putting the first shot perfect. That builds confidence for me. Groups past 3 shots begin to open as the barrel warms, but stay pretty darn good. Mine weighs 8lbs with a 3-12x Huskemaw, sling, ammo, and scope level. The Winchester action is much heavier than the Remington.
I also went with a slightly heavier fluted #3 barrel on my build, plus an extended magazine box, Jewell trigger, and some other options. They did load work for me also since I bought the scope I had on it first from them. I had some issues with the scope dialing that were not Rifles Inc's fault in any way and later switched to the Huskemaw.
I've shot it to 600 yards a lot practicing which is about as far as I'm confident that the E tips I shoot retain enough velocity to open on game. I have taken a muley, a whitetail, and a moose with it so far at ranges between 300 and 380 yards. I'm happy with my rifle and would consider having them build another if I ever decide to put that much money in a rifle again. For now I've got my 264 win mags for flatter country and the light 300 for the mountains, I'm pretty happy.

FWIW I've read some reviews on the Fieldcraft mentioned earlier also that are all great. The Nosler forum has several in the rifles section now I think.

OP
MuleyFever
Knowing about compounding interest it'd be hard to look past a Barrett fieldcraft used at that 1300$

Barrett’s limited calibers are not what I’m looking for. I may be able to pick up this Strata for about $2k. Seams like a good deal.

I'm jealous MF. Isn't it fun being in a position of researching and purchasing a new rifle?! Can't wait to see what you end up with. From the sound of things it looks like you'll end up with a nice rig.

OP
MuleyFever
I'm jealous MF. Isn't it fun being in a position of researching and purchasing a new rifle?! Can't wait to see what you end up with. From the sound of things it looks like you'll end up with a nice rig.

It is fun, especially with no time pressure. I’m just waiting for the right option to present itself. This will be my first “nice” rifle. Never a big rifle guy but looking forward to the set up process and learning to dial the SWFA orphan sitting in my hunting room.

I had them rebarrel a Model 7 to 6.5 creedmore. He worked the action and bedded my stock as well. Lex is a good guy and his work was perfect. I would not hesitate to buy a full custom from him.

wyosteve

WKR
The only big game rifle I've shot for the past 20 yrs. has been a .338 W.M. Strata the Lex built for me. Shoots as well today as when I first got it. Absolutely love the light weight. 4 3/4 lbs. bare rifle. 6 1/4 with 2.5x8 Leupold, sling and 4 rds. Shoots 3 in. groups at 400 yds. which is good enough for me. The rifle can shoot better than I can hold. If I was looking for another rifle, it would be a Strata again.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard awesome things about the company.I was going to use them on my 6.5 build but ended up staying local.