Rifles liking a common load?

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
So was working up loads for the Knight Ultralight and noticed that rifle liked 95 gr of BH, for the thor, the barnes 290 and the lehigh 240 all shot about an inch.

just wondering if its common that a single charge weight tends to work well for a range of projos.

now to see if i can get the 460NE to shoot well, I think i was too hot before doing the 90-110 area but more research shows to push the lead slower so ill do a 60-80 and see if i can get a node.

what do you typically consider acceptable accuracy? I'm working up with an optic but will be hunting (if i draw) with irons lol so max range will be 200-300 yards depending on game and load.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
THAT'S a loaded question LOL

LOL im new to ML so not sure what is considered accurate at 100. all three grouped between .95 and 1.1 so im calling it good. Just not sure what people considered good enough from MOA to MOE (minute of Elk). Its scary ive seen rifle (not ML) people staple a paper plate to a target and as long as 3 rounds hit the 8 inch plate somewhere it was kosher.... and i'm over here if its not under MOA I don't want it.

ENCORE

WKR
Good shoot'n ;)

I think most hunters would be extremely happy with a consistent MOA at 100yds.
Target shooters are different. :)

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I think most hunters would be extremely happy with a consistent MOA at 100yds.
Target shooters are different. :)
yea was watching erik cortina on youtube talking about if he cant shoot 1/4 MOA all day at 100 the barrels toast. Im like ill pay for shipping!

LOL im new to ML so not sure what is considered accurate at 100. all three grouped between .95 and 1.1 so im calling it good. Just not sure what people considered good enough from MOA to MOE (minute of Elk). Its scary ive seen rifle (not ML) people staple a paper plate to a target and as long as 3 rounds hit the 8 inch plate somewhere it was kosher.... and i'm over here if its not under MOA I don't want it.

Not scary at all - you gotta figure a consistent 2 MOA rifle will still land in the kill zone out to 400 yards, which is further than the average joe who only shoots once or twice a year has any business shooting. A 3 MOA gun will still kill a deer for average joe(250 yard) shots. This isn’t even considering that a lot of muzzy guys use iron sights so 200-300 yards, for MOST guys, is well beyond their range. A lot of guys keep it to 100-150 and in. A 6-7 MOA(let’s face it, it’s more of a pattern) load would be just as effective.

It’s another one of those areas that people obsess wayyyy too much over, right next to projectiles, chamberings, broadheads, arrows, powders... I’m not saying we shouldn’t strive for accuracy, but unless you’re shooting competitively the average hunter isn’t going to notice a 1.5 vs .75 MOA rifle. You’d be better off spending your time in the woods, and your money on tags - you’d see a greater ROI vs worrying about that small crap.

Rich M

WKR
@JeffRaines makes a good point about being realistic.

Recently purchased an Optima and am hoping for 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards. I'd say you have your gun dialed in.