Riflescope Drops.

Rob5589

WKR
Don't get too wadded up over the drop test, it's just one way to check durability. 3' seems like a ways to drop, which it is. But consider the fact that there are scopes that can't handle riding in an ATV rack down a dirt road. What intrigued me was how a 200 scope can handle the test while a 3500 scope could not.

OP
P
I would think normal handling of a scoped rifle during a week long Western Mountain hunt would subject the scope, etc to some trauma. I am wondering with scopes on high recoil rifles, how long can you expect them to hold zero? If you are shooting an unbraked .340 or .375, is the scope taking as much punishment as a 3 foot drop?? I'm thinking the scopes are designed to hold up to the recoil (rearward motion) of the mule kickers, but it seems that the recoil would be more stress on the scope than a 3 foot drop?

A few years ago I stopped in at Nightforce. (They are just down the road from me) Somehow the conversation of recoil was brought up. The gentleman went over how a braked rifle is considerably harder on an optic than non-braked. And the lighter the rifle with a heavy optic puts increasingly more strain on the rings and optic. Take a sub 7lbs 300 Ultra and put a 36oz optic on it then add a brake. You start the process of moving this brick of an optic backwards at a high rate of speed then bring it to a stop or forward motion all faster than you can process. If I recall, he said a heavier rifle and or lighter optic reduces this stress substantially.

. If a relatively (small) point of impact change is the only real effect of several 36” drop, then I’m ok with that as long as the optic still functions and stayed intact.
This acceptance of mediocrity is the reason most scopes can’t pass a 36” drop test. Why build a better scope as long as the customers are tolerant of their shortcomings? Scopes can be built to pass this simple test (look at nightforce and swfa), but they scope manufacturers don’t do it. It’s much easier to gaslight their customers in to accepting less.

A few years ago I stopped in at Nightforce. (They are just down the road from me) Somehow the conversation of recoil was brought up. The gentleman went over how a braked rifle is considerably harder on an optic than non-braked. And the lighter the rifle with a heavy optic puts increasingly more strain on the rings and optic. Take a sub 7lbs 300 Ultra and put a 36oz optic on it then add a brake. You start the process of moving this brick of an optic backwards at a high rate of speed then bring it to a stop or forward motion all faster than you can process. If I recall, he said a heavier rifle and or lighter optic reduces this stress substantially.

I have heard (and read) that braked rifles are harder on optics, but found it hard to believe considering the felt recoil at your shoulder is less. I would tend to believe what Nightforce has to say about it. They definitely build scopes that can take a punishment.

you don't feel recoil with a brake because the movement of the rifle reverses direction once the gas starts venting out the holes, and that sudden change of direction is what causes the problems. It's pretty easy to think about if you use the definition of force that describes it as a change in momentum over time. In this case, the time interval is really short, so even with a small amount of momentum, there is a lot of force.

Anyhow, in my opinion the purpose of the drop tests was to proof your own equipment and build confidence in your own setup's ability to perform. It's always preferable to validate that zero was held, but if something happens to my rifle on a hunt and it is less than what I've proofed the system to, I plan to take the shot.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
they other thing I took note of from some of those drop tests threads wasn't just the loss of zero, but how groups were less precise after the fact. OK I drop my rifle so I reset zero, OK, but if the internals are compromised such that a precise group can no longer be sighted in, well that's different.

you don't feel recoil with a brake because the movement of the rifle reverses direction once the gas starts venting out the holes, and that sudden change of direction is what causes the problems. It's pretty easy to think about if you use the definition of force that describes it as a change in momentum over time. In this case, the time interval is really short, so even with a small amount of momentum, there is a lot of force.

Anyhow, in my opinion the purpose of the drop tests was to proof your own equipment and build confidence in your own setup's ability to perform. It's always preferable to validate that zero was held, but if something happens to my rifle on a hunt and it is less than what I've proofed the system to, I plan to take the shot.

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

amassi

WKR
For those of us that went from questionable scopes to reliable scopes does anyone catch themselves tapping the turrets when sighting in. Makes me laugh every time I do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you are dropping your rifle or banging your scope hard enough to cause a slight concern. Get your ass back and test it out.

So you’ll shoot at an animal as long as you don’t have a “slight concern”? And it doesn’t dawn on you that a “slight concern” with one type of scope couldn’t possibly be no concern at all with another?

Did they explain why a braked rifle was harder on the scope?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Read the last 3 sentences and report back.

I did. It makes less sense each time. No one has said because some stranger did something don’t worry about it. To you, because you haven’t tried anything that’s been stated, it doesn’t make sense. To every person that has tried what I’ve laid out on this board, it does.

Always interesting to me the people that claim so much experience in shooting and equipment, yet are afraid to shoot and experiment.

josef

FNG
I know this post is about riflescopes and its optics sub forum but what have manufacturers of the firearms and mounts said about their drop tests?

I can tell you from a firearms saami testing perspective that if their isnt a safety issue the gun passes. I would be interested in seeing what the gun and mount tolerances on POA/POI shift. Seems like we should care about the total package.

I know that Formidilosus proofs some of this out by shooting proven optics.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I did. It makes less sense each time. No one has said because some stranger did something don’t worry about it. To you, because you haven’t tried anything that’s been stated, it doesn’t make sense. To every person that has tried what I’ve laid out on this board, it does.

Always interesting to me the people that claim so much experience in shooting and equipment, yet are afraid to shoot and experiment.
Who's afraid to shoot and experiment? What does that have to do with shooting at animals after dropping rifles?

sndmn11

WKR
I know this post is about riflescopes and its optics sub forum but what have manufacturers of the firearms and mounts said about their drop tests?

I can tell you from a firearms saami testing perspective that if their isnt a safety issue the gun passes. I would be interested in seeing what the gun and mount tolerances on POA/POI shift. Seems like we should care about the total package.

I know that Formidilosus proofs some of this out by shooting proven optics.

I would bet we could take a random 100 rifle systems from this site, and put a quality scope in the rings that are present and see success in 98 of those rifles or better.

@HawkinsPrecision do you have any doubts about your stuff having an owie before a scope does?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

When rifles are bedded and torqued tight, very, very few issues show up in shifts (sometimes they break though). Mounts are a different matter. Tiny screws aren’t as good as integral rails for sure, however when cleaned and torqued tight, good pic bases and rings are not generally an issue.

Who's afraid to shoot and experiment? What does that have to do with shooting at animals after dropping rifles?

Because if you would walk outside and experiment you would find out that scopes are not created equal, nor close. What is a serious issue for one scope, is nothing to think about for another.

josef

FNG
Agreed. I guess I keep hearing about companies not sharing what their drop tests and tolerances on optics is. It’s been assumed when a tech service dude doesn’t have those answers that they don’t do anything. My question is more if gun companies and mount companies would share that info if you call customer service.

I just hung a dozen picture frames using my NightForce SHV as a hammer. No worries.

540006448_9098c617f5.jpg