Rigging sawyer mini for inline bladder filtration

Will_m

WKR
Anybody done this? I have the mini. It has a screw end on the diry side but nothing comparable on the clean end, so I'm thinking of just cutting the hose and hose clamping it directly to the nozzles.

Worried that this might pull apart in my pack or that it may be too much trying to suck water up the hose and through the filter.

I've done it. I just cut my hose and pushed each end over the nipple on each side of the filter. It works but I think I'm going to switch to the squeeze to get easier flow because you do have to fight the mini a little bit to get the water through

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FWIW I'm also toying with the idea to just run my nalgene with a steri pen and get a cap for my 3L bladder and just use it more as a storage bag for places where water isn't readily available

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
Admittedly, this doesn't answer your question. However, I know several people who have used inline Sawyer Squeezes as well as directly threading the Sawyer Squeeze to a water bottle. Most of them switched to using the Squeeze with a bladder and filtering into water bottles or a clean water bladder. They got frustrated with inline or direct thread, because the flow was never strong enough.

jhim

FNG
I started out running the Mini in-line by cutting the hose and jamming the nipples into the hose. I had concerns about freezing at night and this method precluded me from taking the Mini out at night as the bladder would then leak. I switched to the squeeze as it has screw off nipples. Now I just unscrew the filter from the hoses and screw the hoses back together and it doesn't leak. Then I purge the filter and call it a night.

jmez

WKR
That's how I've run the minifor several years. Works good for me. I just cut the main tube and push it over the ends on the mini.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to piggy back off this thread. I just bought a Sawyer mini and haven't used it yet. Do you guys need to back flush it every day or can you go on a 5 day trip with having to do so? Its a mountain hunt so water should be pretty clean but no guarantees.

Thanks

Apollo117

WKR
I am going to piggy back off this thread. I just bought a Sawyer mini and haven't used it yet. Do you guys need to back flush it every day or can you go on a 5 day trip with having to do so? Its a mountain hunt so water should be pretty clean but no guarantees.

Thanks
I've gone for two weeks, several times, without back flushing my Squeeze. There was some noticable decrease in flow rate, but it went back to normal after the back flush.

FWIW I thought about doing the in-line with the Mini but decided to go a different route. I'm going to get the Sawyer Fast Fill adapter, you install it in your tubing then use the normal Squeeze to fill straight into your bladder. For me this has a lot more advantages to the in-line:
  • Don't have to remove the bladder from pack
  • Still have the Squeeze to fill Nalgenes, Water Bottles, etc
  • Only need 1 filter

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    162.6 KB · Views: 24

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I run mine towards the bottom of the hose of my dirty bladder. Below that I have a valve and then a quick connect that snaps in to the end of the hose of my clean bladder.

jmez

WKR
I never backflush mine. I've used it for 10 days at a time with no problems, both ponds and streams. I do replace it every year. First year I used the system I backflushed when I got home and it didn't work when I tested it the following year. $19 at Wal Mart, I consider it disposable.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk