Right-handed but left eye dominance

when i started traditional shooting i was told both eyes open. I'm ok but never feel completely comfortable with it. Any trick to help my shooting?

Wrench

WKR
I'm the same. Jake Kaminski talks about the difference in the dominant eye and the aiming eye in one of his podcasts.

I overcome this by a blink and intense focus. It can be done, but it will take a while.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Focus. Focus. Focus. I'm the same way. Much easier with a trad bow than a compound with a sight. Still takes a ton of practice though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It depends on how you aim, but I have the same issue, and I shoot instinctive, so both eyes open. If your shooting instinctive too, keep both eyes fixed on the spot where you want the arrow to hit and not your equipment and it won’t matter what eye is dominant.

BryceB

FNG
I made the switch from right to left handed shooting when I started shooting trad bow with instinctive aiming. It was pretty awkward at first but it didn’t last too long and feels natural now. In fact I switched to shooting pistols left handed at the same time, both eyes open, and saw improvements there too.

MrTim

FNG
My mentor had the same issue. He switched to shooting left hand and his shooting improved greatly.

Kentucky

WKR
I’m left eye dominant as well, 20/20 right eye, 15/20 left, I didn’t switch to left hand, I just squint my left eye, been doing it for pistols, shotguns,everything my entire life, I’m 37 now.. not to late to switch but I feel no need to

I am the same way. I do what most say, I just really focus on the spot with both eyes. I agree with the aiming eye. I think after awhile your right eye will eventually become your aiming eye. I’ve been shooting all my life, and even though I still see a sideways arrow, I’ve been able to identify which arrow is the right one and use it. I shoot instinctive all the way out to my 40 yard point on. After that I just use the right arrow that I see and aim from there.

As others have mentioned, make the switch to shooting left handed. That's what I did years ago. It was awkward at first and took several months to get used to it. Once I got comfortable with my form, and shot better than I ever had right handed.

I shoot a compound left handed due to an old injury, and haven’t replaced the bow yet. I suit right handed for probably 6 years prior to that. I found shooting a compound left handed (I’m right handed and right eye dominant) was no issue what so ever..... except for in prime time. That last ten minutes of legal light I cannot see anything trying to look through a peep and sight. I have tried to shoot a left handed recurve though and found that exponentially harder than the compound.

now that I am shooting a trad bow right handed again, that last ten minutes of light I can hunt again. I keep both eyes open and it makes a world of difference.

sorry, got a little long winded with my weird situation. But that is my experience. I would use your dominant eye, but expectto practice a lot toshoot with the off hand. Heck, you need to shoot a lot mono matter what with a stick bow lol

OP
C
I do wear eye glasses, so I was thinking about practicing with Scotch tape on my left eye. I heard it can help.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
I'm right handed but left eye dominant too. I switched to shooting left handed with every weapon quite a few years back and once I got used to it was way more accurate consistently.