Right size pack

rspecht55

FNG
I know you can switch out sizes of packs to meet your needs but I am looking for a pack that could fit a day hunt as well as a multi day hunt. I don’t really want to buy two packs. What packs do you suggest? How big are they? How many days could you get out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
For me, the things that would factor in the difference in pack size from 1 night to 10 nights are, food, water (if I have to pack it in) & size of shelter/stove.

If everything you'd need for an overnight hunt fits then add those things into the consideration and that will give you a size reference.

I typically use my SG for everything even if I'm hunting from the truck because it saves me a trip of heading back for it if I get something on the ground. I usually don't hunt where I can drive to what I shot or drag it to the truck.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have Seek Outside 6,300 packs both in the integrated and breakaway platforms. In the integrated platform, you could get the Unaweep 6,300 which, in X-42 Xpac, will weigh 3lbs 9oz without the stay. In X-21, it will roughly 3oz less.

In the breakaaway platform, you could get the Fortress 6,300 which would weigh 3lb 13oz without the stays.

In the alternative, you could choose the 4,800 in either the Unaweep or Fortress but the weight savings is only 2 or 3oz compared to the 6,300.

The 6,300 will get you many days. Both the Unaweep and Fortress roll down into nothing.

https://seekoutside.com/unaweep-6300-backpack/

https://seekoutside.com/fortress-6300/

OldGrayJB

WKR
It's amazing how well most new packs compress when empty. My Stone Glacier is 5900 cu in and works great as a day pack. The size you need depends on a lot of factors. A double wall 2p tent takes up more pack space than a 1p tarp. A zero deg synthetic sleeping bag doesn't pack as good as a 20 deg down quilt. I can get 4-5 days in my 5900 in Nov. I can get about 7 days in Sept if the weather cooperates.

I tend to agree with them packing down. I first got a sg solo 3300 for day hunting and then got a 5900 with lid for a longer trip. I still haven’t put the 3300 bag back on because it really is no bigger when compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 7800ci Kifaru AMR and Kifaru DT1 bags will collapse down to just 2 back pockets for day hunting and expand to haul more than I want to carry off the mtn in a few buckle clicks. After figuring out how flat and small those large bags can become I sold all my smaller bags and just run those bags for everything from day trips to multi-day hunts. No need for smaller bags for me.

rootacres

WKR
Something in that 5k-6k range is probably a pretty good spot. Most people realistically aren't going to be going in for more than 5-6 days, with the exception of some of the trips in Canada and Alaska maybe. I had a 6000 for my last multiway hunt where I was planning for 5 days, I had a little room to spare. I have a SG solo 3600 now, with the plan to pick up a 5900 or maybe 6400 before my next longer trip. I might be able to squeeze 5 days out of the 3600 depending on some of the variables.