Rinehart inserts

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone purchased a Rinehart insert for a 3D target lately?
I got one for a deer and it's not the same foam as they've used in the past on inserts or the 18-1 target.
I don't shoot a heavy draw bow and I almost need a winch to pull arrows. Putting tire dressing on the front third of the arrow helps but I've never had to do that in the past.

Anyone else seen a change? If this is the new foam it's not worth the Rinehart price.

I picked up a few in August, didn't notice a difference, tho they might have been older.

Have several on order as well as whole targets, due in January. Hopefully they haven't changed anything.

They haven't always been the easiest to pull from when new, but they sure are durable.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I bought their Jimmy Big Tine 3D buck about 6 months ago and it is not the same quality I am used to with Rinehart. From the very beginning fieldtip arrows would go through to the fletching. Now after 1000 arrows I have to have a Block behind it to catch the pass throughs. I have never shot a broadhead into it. Very disappointed!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Historically I've found that arrows are a real bear to pull from "cold" Rinehart targets when they're new. I shot a new Baboon target several years ago with an Axis 300 and I ended up having to make cuts in the foam close to the arrow to even begin to get it loose. When the arrow did come out, it was covered in a heavy layer of foam stuck to the arrow. Had to use the knife to scrape all that off, and then use my steel wool to finish cleaning up the arrow. Arrow lube is mandatory for me in the colder months, and highly recommended in the warmer months.

TX_Diver

WKR
Historically I've found that arrows are a real bear to pull from "cold" Rinehart targets when they're new. I shot a new Baboon target several years ago with an Axis 300 and I ended up having to make cuts in the foam close to the arrow to even begin to get it loose. When the arrow did come out, it was covered in a heavy layer of foam stuck to the arrow. Had to use the knife to scrape all that off, and then use my steel wool to finish cleaning up the arrow. Arrow lube is mandatory for me in the colder months, and highly recommended in the warmer months.

I was going to say the same thing. I live in WI and shooting a cold rhinoblock is a recipe for stuck arrows!

Love them otherwise though. Lots of the shops here carry blems since Rinehart is close by, so I just buy a new core every year. Hopefully can snag some blem 3Ds this year too.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Historically I've found that arrows are a real bear to pull from "cold" Rinehart targets when they're new. I shot a new Baboon target several years ago with an Axis 300 and I ended up having to make cuts in the foam close to the arrow to even begin to get it loose. When the arrow did come out, it was covered in a heavy layer of foam stuck to the arrow. Had to use the knife to scrape all that off, and then use my steel wool to finish cleaning up the arrow. Arrow lube is mandatory for me in the colder months, and highly recommended in the warmer months..
I think you nailed it. I planned on cutting the target today since the arrow is still embedded. On the arrows I managed to pull they also had the foam bits stuck on the shaft.

Baboon??? I like it!
My nephew is wanting a zombie.

did you leave arrows in the target and pull them later? i remember after getting my first 18-1 several years ago i was feeling like a puss trying to get my arrows out of that thing, then i left 3 arrows in it because i didn't feel like pulling them.... that was a mistake.... it sucked pulling them before, and was nearly impossible later... same thing, bunch of foam glued to the shaft.

what i did was lit that target up with broadheads for a couple days, which made life easier. that was also my short stint with fmj's... every single one got a bend shooting that target and nothing more. now i figure the pain in the ass of pulling arrows from a new reinhart is worth the life you get out of them... my last few have not been like that.... that first one was stubborn for a bit... stabbed a nock into my knee once too in that time frame, which felt pretty good... luckily it wasn't a 650gr arrow or that heavy bone threshold would have made for a tough archery season ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
did you leave arrows in the target and pull them later?
It was only one arrow, and I got it out after some frustration, the cutting, and then laying the target down and standing on it while pulling using my legs and back. Those layered carpet targets and layered fiber board are the same way.......even in warm temps. I'll get arrows out of the fiber board that look like bigfoot arms with all the fiber board stuck to them.......same for carpet glue. Lube helps a little on those.......but not enough.