Ring Security System

Maybe this has been discussed, but if I would have known what I know now, I would have done this years ago. For any of you thinking about a security system or on the fence, here are my thoughts-

I live in a small recreational mountain town in SE Idaho and over the past few months locally there has been an unbelievable increase in burglaries. I’m horrible, never lock anything, leave all my shit unlocked keys in it, work tools never had a problem..... that is until recently a neighbor had his garage broken into while he was home asleep. It really got me thinking....I never put much thought into security systems, kinda wanted one for piece of mind but really didn’t think it was worth the money and hassle.

After some research, I decided to go with Ring. Ring is unbelievably awesome, I’m so impressed I feel like I need to tell everyone I know 😂😂.

The crazy part, I set a complete package up, I’m talking outside cameras, interior motion detectors, fire alarm, flood/freeze alarm, door/window sensors in about an hour, in just over 500 bucks.

The setup was so unbelievably simple and well thought out. I don’t think I have been so impressed with a product in a long time.

Anyone else running a RING System???

RS3579

WKR
Maybe this has been discussed, but if I would have known what I know now, I would have done this years ago. For any of you thinking about a security system or on the fence, here are my thoughts-

I live in a small recreational mountain town in SE Idaho and over the past few months locally there has been an unbelievable increase in burglaries. I’m horrible, never lock anything, leave all my shit unlocked keys in it, work tools never had a problem..... that is until recently a neighbor had his garage broken into while he was home asleep. It really got me thinking....I never put much thought into security systems, kinda wanted one for piece of mind but really didn’t think it was worth the money and hassle.

After some research, I decided to go with Ring. Ring is unbelievably awesome, I’m so impressed I feel like I need to tell everyone I know 😂😂.

The crazy part, I set a complete package up, I’m talking outside cameras, interior motion detectors, fire alarm, flood/freeze alarm, door/window sensors in about an hour, in just over 500 bucks.

The setup was so unbelievably simple and well thought out. I don’t think I have been so impressed with a product in a long time.

Anyone else running a RING System???
How/where did you find the camera package? I’ve been wanting to get some for my place also.

TBHasler

WKR
Have Ring as well and it is great, especially if I can set it up (with the aid of a youtube or two).
Don’t have outside cameras but that’s next step and I know it’s super simple to add new devices to the existing ring network.
Agree - very intuitive to install for non techies and well thought out product.

I have a Lorex system after some dirt bikes were stolen from me. Masked bandits set it off last night goofing around on the front porch, thankfully they were four legged kind.

OP
Travis Hobbs
How/where did you find the camera package? I’ve been wanting to get some for my place also.

It was an online retailer my wife spotted an ad for, but the promotion is now over.... she tried to send it to some friends.

Ring does go direct to consumer, Home Depot also is a dealer im pretty sure

OP
Travis Hobbs
I have a Lorex system after some dirt bikes were stolen from me. Masked bandits set it off last night goofing around on the front porch, thankfully they were four legged kind.

Hahaha I’ve had a few of them on the porch as well already 🤣

What kind of power source did you go with for your cameras? I really don’t want to run wiring so wondering how long the batteries last.

Wrench

WKR
I work in a facility that has a pretty high end security system. When my security guys just finished up my last $200k upgrade I asked them what they would suggest for my home. Without hesitation arlo ultra was the recommendation.

Dennis

WKR
I like my Ring alarm and camera system. I live in the country and police are probably 40 minutes on a good day. I monitor my system from my phone and have neighbors who can and will respond. $100 a year for video storage and monitoring if you choose. I give it a thumbs up!

Been running ring doorbell on front and ring flood lights on the corners for 2ish years...my only complaint is the deer kick the flood lights on pretty regularly...lol

TheGDog

WKR
Yes we have a Ring doorbell. They are pretty cool. However... it does end up being a tool where your spouse can become "Big Brother". (Especially if you work from home.)

She's the one who acquired it (Won it at company Holiday Party) after reading about all the uptick in local stuff happening in our communities FB page. So she's the admin for it. And I mention that because I relay input to her in terms of "can you please turn down the sensitivity".

At first we were getting events being logged when a car would drive by on the street. After she has adjusted the sensitivity though (I think maybe too much in the other direction) now the recording phase doesn't kick in until they are right upon the front door. So anyway, make sure to adjust sensitivity as needed.

Also... can be a P.I.T.A. when you're doing something like attending to mowing the front lawn and it's generating a ton of events as you criss cross its path a buncha times. I as somebody on the account that she's granted access to, can turn off notifications for motion or ringing the doorbell, however I do not know if that means it turns off those same events for the other user(s) on the account.

We have the battery-powered wirelessly connected unit. I'm impressed with how long each battery charge runs for.

If you have privacy/Big-Brother concerns, then I wouldn't get one. Since they record both motion triggered events... and... the unit/software now also seems to take interval timed still frames all throughout the day as well.

On the flip side. If somebody has come up and dropped off a package... and you were busy attending to work stuff in your home office... or your phone was not in your room, because it was charging elsewhere and maybe you had it set to vibrate... you just might get a TXT from your spouse asking if you brought in that package yet. Which is kind of a good thing to have two pairs of eyes for that stuff since porch pirates never sleep.

If you get one, I'd say definitely try to implement the same techniques you'd use when hanging a trailcam. Like trying to have it face the north as much as it can to avoid backlit situations, however the cam seems to be good at on-the-fly adjusting in terms of that kind of thing.