Rings for Weatherby? I’ve had it with Talley - EDIT, nope, not Talley

amassi

WKR
May be my only option without cutting. Not a fan of the goofy looking knob on the base of the warne rings, but if they hold I guess I’ll get over it.

I emailed Talley to see if they have any ideas. I’ll give them a day or two and see. I really like the Talleys, I just wish they worked.
Warne has a set of rings with 2 countersunk screws in lieu of the goofy crossbolt. They're a skosh heavier.
Vortex/seekins rings have been very serviceable

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
Vortex Pro series and Warne horizontal. They work with Weaver style and pic rails/2pc bases.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Murphy makes a damn good rail and often charges nothing extra for minor custom changes. Ive got 2 of them.

CorbLand

WKR
I wanted to use Talleys too, but my LGS told me they have been having some issues with them cracking. I tried some leupold bases but the offset would qork with the scope tube length
Can confirm that my buddy had a set of talleys crack on his 280AI not to long ago.

EdP

WKR
You have not said yet whether or not you lapped the rings. They need to be checked for alignment and lapped if not aligned. After lapping I degrease all surfaces, apply liquid electrical tape to the rings, let it dry, and mount the scope. I have never had a problem when that process was used.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
You have not said yet whether or not you lapped the rings. They need to be checked for alignment and lapped if not aligned. After lapping I degrease all surfaces, apply liquid electrical tape to the rings, let it dry, and mount the scope. I have never had a problem when that process was used.

Post #5, definitely didn’t lap. No plans to, if that’s Talley’s recommendation they go in the scrap bin.

Warne has a set of rings with 2 countersunk screws in lieu of the goofy crossbolt. They're a skosh heavier.
Vortex/seekins rings have been very serviceable

Vortex Pro series and Warne horizontal. They work with Weaver style and pic rails/2pc bases.

Yep, these are the solution with some Warne bases. I have an email in to Warne about lapping the Maxima (horizontal) rings. If so, then Vortex/Seekins.

Thanks fellas!

HCMike

FNG
Murphy makes a damn good rail and often charges nothing extra for minor custom changes. Ive got 2 of them.
Second that. Murphy bases are excellent quality, easily ordered and will ship quickly, a guy who really knows his business. Get a set of Seekins rings and be done with it. Sure 2 piece bases look better but a small sacrifice to better shooting.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Get a set of Seekins rings and be done with it. Sure 2 piece bases look better but a small sacrifice to better shooting.
Seekins lows (.820) or TPS super lows if using a Murphy rail. This is a SWFA with a 42mm OBJ and Seekins lows on a Murphy, This rail is special order longer than my other one and fits great with the SWFA SS.
0z8o4jj.jpg

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Post #5, definitely didn’t lap. No plans to, if that’s Talley’s recommendation they go in the scrap bin.

Yep, these are the solution with some Warne bases. I have an email in to Warne about lapping the Maxima (horizontal) rings. If so, then Vortex/Seekins.

Thanks fellas!
Vortex PMR rings are made by Seekins. The Vortex Pro rings are not but they are nice for the price. You can only get the PMR/Seekins Weaver rings in 1" low. I dont think they make a 30m weaver ring.

You can get them in Vortex Pro or several of the TPS rings. The Vortex Pro are a really good value for a 7075 ring.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Send them back to to Talley, get a new set and you'll be fine. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but I've got Talleys on every hunting rifle I own, or have ever owned. Never had a single failure of any kind, mostly light weight rifles, some with brakes, some without. Including currently on a 6 lug WBY in 6.5 RPM, among others.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Vortex PMR rings are made by Seekins. The Vortex Pro rings are not but they are nice for the price. You can only get the PMR/Seekins Weaver rings in 1" low. I dont think they make a 30m weaver ring.

You can get them in Vortex Pro or several of the TPS rings. The Vortex Pro are a really good value for a 7075 ring.

Yup, looking at what I can find, they make a weaver medium in 30mm but no lows. I’ll take a peek at the pros, and it looks like TPS makes a 30mm low as well, I’m just unfamiliar with them. At least I found some options.

Send them back to to Talley, get a new set and you'll be fine. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but I've got Talleys on every hunting rifle I own, or have ever owned. Never had a single failure of any kind, mostly light weight rifles, some with brakes, some without. Including currently on a 6 lug WBY in 6.5 RPM, among others.

I’ve had good luck in the past as well, which is the weird part. I definitely didn’t expect issues with a 308. I have an email into Talley support. Worst case I get something to settle this rifle, and I love it so I’ll be getting another in 280AI so if they resolve it I’ll have a set waiting.

A-aron83

FNG
I’ve had good luck with the leupold backcountry as well. Mounted on Christensen Mesa in .308 holding a leupold Vx-5

Leupold dual dovetails ,I’ve been using them for 35 years.Simple and cannot give you grief.My rifle that goes back and forth to Canada every year the Zeiss scope in 20 years has never moved and has killed a lot of game.

By the way you lap rings to get better contact with the scope tube,it’s not because there’s something wrong with the rings.

amassi

WKR
By the way you lap rings to get better contact with the scope tube,it’s not because there’s something wrong with the rings.
False
You need to lap some rings because they're mfg tolerances are crap and you're doing finish work Instead of the mfg
Or your Machining on your rail or receiver is likewise poorly done.
Good rings don't need lapping

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yep, I’ll pay $150 for precision matched rings before I lap cheaper ones.

Love the alpha rail from Near. But not that much. Sheesh. Competition rifle to ring steel at 1000 yards? Probably. 308 to shoot elk at 300? Nah.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Anyone know the scope height with Warne Maxima low’s? Unpublished on the website for some reason.