Rings for Weatherby? I’ve had it with Talley - EDIT, nope, not Talley

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Got it. (And thanks.) Bizarre they can’t publish it.

I think I’m down to this option. I did just find that Talley makes a two piece “scout style base” for W’by 6 lug, but no description on their website. No idea if it’s weaver or pic.

amassi

WKR
The maxima 2 piece rail and maxima lows fits a 44mm objective and flip caps

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, looking at what I can find, they make a weaver medium in 30mm but no lows. I’ll take a peek at the pros, and it looks like TPS makes a 30mm low as well, I’m just unfamiliar with them. At least I found some options.
Not sure i follow. Seekins/PMR rings in Weaver are 1" tube ONLY. All the rest are picatinny. TPS makes a few in 30mm Weaver but for TPS the super low is .820.....I got a set of the XRT rings also.

TPS XRT 30mm Super Low rings on my other Murphy....Love them because the are double lug rings and slightly cheaper than Seekins.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
So…the Leupold medium are lower than the Talley lows? (Talley measurement is to the base of the scope tube. I’m assuming Leupold’s is center of the tube.)

Leupold might be a winner with the backcountry rings.

3A13519D-3397-4945-9A86-6D2AAEF0E35D.jpeg

76F83AE8-1C7F-4135-9334-942574C2B90F.jpeg

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Not sure i follow. Seekins/PMR rings in Weaver are 1" tube ONLY. All the rest are picatinny. TPS makes a few in 30mm Weaver but for TPS the super low is .820.....I got a set of them also.

TPS XTR 30mm Super Low rings on my other Murphy....Love them because the are double lug rings and slightly cheaper than Seekins.

Seeing these and interpreting .97 as “medium,” but even though out of stock they’re available in 30mm Weaver. (In stock on eBay and a couple of other places.)

EB1E5DCD-4E8B-4223-856C-7BB58D2C15CD.jpeg

I like the TPS, if I have to go with a rail. Just noticed the Leupold’s are available for W’by and they might actually work even as medium. (No low available.)

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I’ll pay $150 for precision matched rings before I lap cheaper ones.

Love the alpha rail from Near. But not that much. Sheesh. Competition rifle to ring steel at 1000 yards? Probably. 308 to shoot elk at 300? Nah.
I'd consider killing something more important than banging steel. The near ones are made for the Weatherby. I haven't seen anything except near that fits the contours of the weatherby20220813_094554.jpg

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure they no longer make them .97 in Weaver.....Call Seekins, ask if they are still making that model. Its not listed on Seekins site.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I'd consider killing something more important than banging steel. The near ones are made for the Weatherby. I haven't seen anything except near that fits the contours of the weatherbyView attachment 439496

Totally agree, and I don’t ring steel. Just saying that the precision required to do that is probably greater than that required to hit an elk at a couple of hundred.

It’s a work of art, especially on your Weatherby (which looks really familiar.) $375 plus shipping from Canada is beyond my needs. Worth it? Sure. Do I need it? No.

Well, not yet. But you guys are wearing on me

sndmn11

WKR
Got it. (And thanks.) Bizarre they can’t publish it.

I think I’m down to this option. I did just find that Talley makes a two piece “scout style base” for W’by 6 lug, but no description on their website. No idea if it’s weaver or pic.

Neither, those use Talley's method.

EdP

WKR
Good rings don't need lapping
How in the world do you come to that conclusion? If the mounting screw holes in the barrel are not aligned the rings won't be aligned no matter how perfectly the rings are machined. Blaming the rings doesn't make sense. If the screw holes are not perfectly aligned the rings will need to be lapped to provide good alignment with the scope regardless of how perfect the rings were machined. The opportunities for the alignment of parts to be less than perfect are multiple, lapping the rings corrects them.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
How in the world do you come to that conclusion? If the mounting screw holes in the barrel are not aligned the rings won't be aligned no matter how perfectly the rings are machined. Blaming the rings doesn't make sense. If the screw holes are not perfectly aligned the rings will need to be lapped to provide good alignment with the scope regardless of how perfect the rings were machined. The opportunities for the alignment of parts to be less than perfect are multiple, lapping the rings corrects them.

Rings like the Seekins PMR don't need to be lapped, and the manufacturers specifically state not to lap them. Lapping good rings doesn't fix any alignment issues, it will only compound issues by making the rings out of spec.

If the mounting holes in a receiver are mis-aligned then bigger problem exist.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold backcountry set on the way. We’ll see how she holds.
Wish they had them for my NULA. Not a huge fan of the Talley but its either that or a Talley rail. Normally i wouldnt care as much but at just over 7lbs scoped i want to keep it that way.

EdP

WKR
Rings like the Seekins PMR don't need to be lapped, and the manufacturers specifically state not to lap them. Lapping good rings doesn't fix any alignment issues, it will only compound issues by making the rings out of spec.

If the mounting holes in a receiver are mis-aligned then bigger problem exist.
What i am seeing with the Seekins Rings is that they are used with a rail. Used in that way I agree quality rings on a quality rail should never need to be lapped. The rail removes any alignment error in the mounting holes. Any difference in alignment between the rings is insignificant and not enough to prevent good contact with the scope tube.

Individual rings mounted directly to the barrel is a different situation and lapping may be needed to correct mounting hole alignment imperfections regardless of the quality and precision of the rings. Many hunting rifles have scopes mounted in this manner.

Considering that - I guess my question is that if there’s misalignment from the front to rear mounting height, won’t that drive more ring insides?

One other option I just found. Warne bases with Vortex precision machined rings. They make a weaver style. Heard a rumor that they are Seekins rings…
I have heard that about the vortex precision being seekins rings. You could also look at ordering a pair of rings from seekins I have a set on my Weatherby with a vx5 and have been very happy with them. Good quality and reasonable price point

280ack

FNG
Check the diameter of your scope. Years ago I had an issue and the high-end European scope said that the under diameter scope was "within spec" at .983 dia".