Rio Turkey Hunting Advice

tylervond

FNG
Heading to Texas next week for a Rio Turkey hunt in west Texas. This will be my second time hunting the rio. First time was about 4 years ago and my brother and I got skunked. We learned alot and found out we need more patience.
We will be hunting a high fence ranch so we won't be dealing with other hunters or pressured birds. That being said we thought it was going to be easy last time and came up empty handed.
Any advice would be helpful.
Does anyone hunt out of a ground blind?
Is using a gobbler call helpful or does it hurt more than help?
What is a good decoy to use in this scenario?

Thanks

Gulfgoose

FNG
If you're in west Texas water is kind. Personally I've never used a ground blind or gobble call. not to say they aren't effective. Typically just use the standard 1/4 strut jake and hen decoy setup. Rio's. especially in that part of the state are pretty loyal to their roost trees since water is scarce and big trees are sparse.

Biggie

FNG
Find a gobbling bird, call a lot more than you're used to, and kill it. Rios are a cakewalk compared to any of the others. Especially if they haven't been pressured.

OP
T

tylervond

FNG
Thanks for the advise guys. Ended up taking 2 Rios in one hunt. Went with a stalk type of hunt and it was a ton of fun.