RIP XV Rabbit Hole

Laned

WKR
Sorry, the CTIs are carbon inner tubes, not nocks.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

I am using Nockturnals that 'F' nock sized. They worked great at 50 yards in comparison to the regular F nocks. only about 6-7g heavier.
@Page Master Your first post is almost word-for-word where I'm at right now. Looking for that perfect arrow that I can use for TAC-type events with a 125g FP then change it out for a 125g Stryker V2 and hit the mountains for a good long range mule deer/pronghorn setup with virtually no other changes.
So my list of priorities would be: ability to reach 100 yards without sight interference > accuracy > durability (but still has to be strong enough not to worry about getting through a pronghorn/mule deer).

- Bowtech Solution, comfort setting @ 72# ish, 28" draw, 27.75" arrow length

Already ordered:
-300 spine 3DHV V1s (the RIP XVs say 7.1 gpi and 3DHV say 7.0 gpi despite them supposedly being the same arrow- not sure which to trust)
- One Stringer 4" wraps (~5g?), 3x AAE Max Stealth vanes (9.2g each), AAE #5 nocks since I assume I'll hate the uni-bushings and #4s that come with the arrows

Here is where I'm not sure yet- front hardware.
In my mind, I could either do the 16g HIT + Ironwill 25g SS collar, 16g HIT + Ethics 40g SS collar, or 50g brass HIT + Ironwill 25g SS collar.
I ordered both HITs since they're cheap but the collars are more pricey (especially Ironwill) so I wanted to see how you liked the Ethics collar? The Ironwill website says 300 spine RIP XVs are .255" OD so they recommend the .263" collar. Ethics makes a .262" collar so I'm guessing neither option would be super tight but would still work fine.

The Gold Tip tool says I'm at 394g TAW and 15.8% FOC with 41g up front, 409g TAW and 16.9% FOC with 56g, or 428g TAW and 18% FOC with 75g in the front. I'm not sure I'll make 100 yards with that much TAW, but I was curious how you would do this if you had to do it all over again based on your experience?

Thanks a lot for the time and advice.

Button

WKR
I’ve never used collars, yet. I put Tophat Protector rings on the last dozen axis arrows I put together with brass hits. I don’t try to abuse and destroy my arrows but they have held up just fine.

I’m in the same boat trying to come up with a 250 spine arrow in the 460 grain range with an FOC higher than 10%.

Looks like the RIP TKO is the best option. I really like the ethics sleeves, so I might run the TKO 250 with the 50 grain HIT and 40 grain sleeve. I currently run a simple Easton Axis with aluminum hit and ethics 15 grain sleeve. They’re accurate, but harder to tune than something in the 12% FOC range.

As far as you not getting 100 yards out of your bow, I don’t see why you couldn’t get 100 yards out of it with up to 440 or 450 grains. I can get a 65# xpedition at 28” draw out to 100 with 460 grain arrows.
@Page Master Your first post is almost word-for-word where I'm at right now. Looking for that perfect arrow that I can use for TAC-type events with a 125g FP then change it out for a 125g Stryker V2 and hit the mountains for a good long range mule deer/pronghorn setup with virtually no other changes.
So my list of priorities would be: ability to reach 100 yards without sight interference > accuracy > durability (but still has to be strong enough not to worry about getting through a pronghorn/mule deer).

- Bowtech Solution, comfort setting @ 72# ish, 28" draw, 27.75" arrow length

Already ordered:
-300 spine 3DHV V1s (the RIP XVs say 7.1 gpi and 3DHV say 7.0 gpi despite them supposedly being the same arrow- not sure which to trust)
- One Stringer 4" wraps (~5g?), 3x AAE Max Stealth vanes (9.2g each), AAE #5 nocks since I assume I'll hate the uni-bushings and #4s that come with the arrows

Here is where I'm not sure yet- front hardware.
In my mind, I could either do the 16g HIT + Ironwill 25g SS collar, 16g HIT + Ethics 40g SS collar, or 50g brass HIT + Ironwill 25g SS collar.
I ordered both HITs since they're cheap but the collars are more pricey (especially Ironwill) so I wanted to see how you liked the Ethics collar? The Ironwill website says 300 spine RIP XVs are .255" OD so they recommend the .263" collar. Ethics makes a .262" collar so I'm guessing neither option would be super tight but would still work fine.

The Gold Tip tool says I'm at 394g TAW and 15.8% FOC with 41g up front, 409g TAW and 16.9% FOC with 56g, or 428g TAW and 18% FOC with 75g in the front. I'm not sure I'll make 100 yards with that much TAW, but I was curious how you would do this if you had to do it all over again based on your experience?

Thanks a lot for the time and advice.

I’m in the same boat trying to come up with a 250 spine arrow in the 460 grain range with an FOC higher than 10%.

Looks like the RIP TKO is the best option. I really like the ethics sleeves, so I might run the TKO 250 with the 50 grain HIT and 40 grain sleeve. I currently run a simple Easton Axis with aluminum hit and ethics 15 grain sleeve. They’re accurate, but harder to tune than something in the 12% FOC range.

As far as you not getting 100 yards out of your bow, I don’t see why you couldn’t get 100 yards out of it with up to 440 or 450 grains. I can get a 65# xpedition at 28” draw out to 100 with 460 grain arrows.
Yeah, that 250 spine arrow would probably make it harder to reach FOC goals...
I ended up going with Ethics 40g SS collars/footers and 16g Easton aluminum inserts since I think the arrow durability will be better with the SS collar and wanted to keep TAW light for a quick setup (so no 50g brass insert).

Along with the 125g FP/BH, it's at 181g added front end weight. Should be around 409g TAW and 16.9% FOC. I'm hoping for a wicked fast setup that is still decent in the wind, but we'll see how it turns out! This is the first set of arrows I'm building so I'm hoping I'm not too far off from the "best" combination.

I'm already planning to do the Day Six combination next if I want to keep using 8-32 BHs, or bite the bullet and go 4mm shafts (probably Victory VAP V1s)- assuming someone eventually comes out with a good 125g Deep Six BH...