Ripcord LOK Issue

Wapiti406

WKR
Picked up a Matthews Traverse last week and paired it with a Ripcord LOK. We got it set up and timed right, but after shooting about 15 shots the launcher failed to fall away when in the pre-cocked position. My fletching contact broke the launcher. The guy at the shop replaced the launcher and took apart the rest to see if there was anything wrong with the internals. It looked fine on the inside and didn’t have any visible issues. After replacing the launcher, I shot the bow four more times and the launcher failed to drop away, and broke the launcher again. We couldn’t really figure what the issue was. The rest drops away fine when the launcher is not set in the upright locked position but is hit or miss when pre-cocked. They said that they’ve seen this happen with a couple of Prime bows but haven’t seen it happen with a Matthews. I had them order another LOK to see if it was just lemon . I currently have the bow backed off to 60# until I get used to drawing back a new hinge release. I will increase the draw to 70# in a week or two then throw on a different Lok. If the problem continues with a new rest and increased draw weight, I will probably go with a Hamskea.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the new LOK?

mtbshark

WKR
I put one on my realmx and followed the instructions to a T. I have had 3-4 shots where the launcher stayed up. The launcher has not broke but has some solid scars now. I will say that this is not instilling confidence in me. Especially now that I hear that I am not alone.

Also I noted that on the realmx I had to tie the limb cord butted up to the axle in order to get the timing inline with instructions. I did use a draw board to set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same results on my RX-3 I was hesitant to give it a try but went with it anyway, put 2 different out of the box rests on my bow with the same results. Have since went with a QAD.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
I put one on my realmx and followed the instructions to a T. I have had 3-4 shots where the launcher stayed up. The launcher has not broke but has some solid scars now. I will say that this is not instilling confidence in me. Especially now that I hear that I am not alone.

Also I noted that on the realmx I had to tie the limb cord butted up to the axle in order to get the timing inline with instructions. I did use a draw board to set it up.

After it failed the first time he tied the limb cord in as close to post as it can get. You've had three or four failure out of how many shots? I had two failures out of about 20.

mtbshark

WKR
I probably have 30-40 shots on this thing. I don’t know what to do to be honest.
I tried the new trinity and it definitely did not work for me, and I want limb driven.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
I had the same results on my RX-3 I was hesitant to give it a try but went with it anyway, put 2 different out of the box rests on my bow with the same results. Have since went with a QAD.

Shit, that's not good to hear..

If bolts are backed out your limbs are probably not bending enough. Slack in the cord at full draw is what let’s the mechanism reset and returns control to limbs. I would try connecting to axel pin(closer to limb tip) and absolutely tighten limb bolts. Try it and let us know..

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
So I tightened up the limb bolts a few days ago and shot a few bare shafts through it. 2 of the 4 shots the launcher failed to drop. The replacement LOK came in yesterday. I have about 80 arrows threw it and the rest has been working correctly. I guess there must have been an issue with the internals of the previous rest.

mtnkid85

WKR
So I tightened up the limb bolts a few days ago and shot a few bare shafts through it. 2 of the 4 shots the launcher failed to drop. The replacement LOK came in yesterday. I have about 80 arrows threw it and the rest has been working correctly. I guess there must have been an issue with the internals of the previous rest.
How has your new Lok been working out? Did you hunt with it? Anymore issues?
Im interested in giving one a try, but I shoot a 70lb bow turned down to 60-65lbs and Im worried about my limb travel.

Clayniss

FNG
Have a LOK on my vertix and haven't had any issues. It's currently at 65 lbs. I've probably put 50 arrows through it and so far so good

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
How has your new Lok been working out? Did you hunt with it? Anymore issues?
Im interested in giving one a try, but I shoot a 70lb bow turned down to 60-65lbs and Im worried about my limb travel.

I have shot the bow quite a bit since April and the new rest has not had any issues. I did hunt with the LOK last fall. I'm liking it so far.

I had the LOK for about 5 months, shot great, didn’t have a problem...until I snagged the cord. Instead of the cord breaking or slipping out of the clamp(both being repairable) it pulled out of the rest. This is when I realized there was no way to fix it. It’s held in there with the melted end of cord, like a d loop, and a complicated thing to take apart and assemble again. Ripcord replaced it and after thinking about it I returned it. For me if that happened in the backcountry the hunt would be over. I really liked this rest but the in-field ability to repair trumped all of its features...

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Any other feedback?

Topo, did Ripcord tell you that it can't be fixed on your own, or just that it "is complicated?" I have torn apart a couple of the other rip cord models to replace the cord, and while a pain, its not that big of a deal.

I contacted them and they said do not attempt to fix it, well just replace it. Probably not impossible but definitely would not want to try in the field.

I just took a look at mine, it seems easy enough to repair but some disassembly would be required. I don't think the elevation of the launcher would be impacted, but the windage seems unlikely to end up in the exact same spot.

It seems like there's enough space to tie a knot instead of relying on the melted end, I may give that a try tomorrow.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I had the Ripcord LOK fail on me during last years elk hunt; it worked flawlessly leading up to the hunt. Midway through the hunt I took a couple of practice shots - arrow hit way low and to the right - looked at the launcher and it was broke. I had an extra launcher - installed the new launcher, checked everything and it broke again.

It was a Sunday; no spare rest in my box - had to make a 2 hour emergency run to Walmart to save my hunt. Ripcord replaced the rest no questions - it went on eBay - no way I am trusting that thing again.

I saw you posted that story in another thread too, it's definitely got me thinking about switching to a more robust design.

I saw you posted that story in another thread too, it's definitely got me thinking about switching to a more robust design.

Yea I don't normally like to slam products but what puzzled me is it failed out of the blue - no indication of any upcoming problems - it worked flawlessly and then it didn't.

We all work super hard to get maybe one shot at an animal and having your equipment fail at the moment of truth is not worth the risk. Once a piece of equipment fails like that it doesn't get a second chance with me.

TravisIN

WKR
Man I hear about a lot of issues and have seen several ripcord arrow rests fail. Surprised they still sell a bunch. Good marketing?