Risk Mitigation

GSPHUNTER

WKR
All good ideas but, probably the best one can do is have reliable means of communication. The more remote you venture, the better quality of your means of communication needs to be. There is no way you can carry enough supplies on your body to be able to deal with all emergences. Just like everything in your life, good communication required.

mlgc20

WKR
Almost all my hunting and backpacking trips are with my daughters (14 & 11). So, I look at this differently than I do when I used to go out alone. We go deep into the backcountry. In fact, my 14 year old and I are about to do a 70-mile, 8-day hike in the Wyoming wilderness. We certainly don't live in fear. But, I do take a few precautions when they are with me:
  • Inreach and battery charger. Both girls are trained on how to operate it if I go down.
  • My wife always has a detailed itinerary of where we are going. We do daily check-ins in the evening.
  • Both girls have been trained in basic survival skills. They both keep a knife and fire starter literally on them anytime we are in the backcountry.
  • My girls study maps and Google Earth with me of where we are going. So, they know exactly where we are all the time.
Going outdoors has its risks. That's part of what makes it fun. Like they say in James Michener's Centennial, "Life's a gamble. Every day's a gamble."

*zap*

WKR
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....maybe much more, actually. Financial mitigation and just knowledge of how to survive, find your way and signal.

good thread!

Mosby

WKR
Besides a well stocked hunting vehicle, I have life flight insurance that covers multiple states and a PLB for when I run out of options. I also keep phone numbers in my truck of local companies that do off road towing, and the address of the local hospital saved into my truck GPS.