River Country Products Tents???

Has anyone used any of the River Country Products tents on a backcountry hunt? I just bought one of the trekking pole teepee style tents and man this thing is awesome. Super lightweight and compacts down pretty small (maybe the size of a football). It sets up pretty fast and it has a fully enclosed bug net. The best part, it is only like $40. The materials seemed decent and I did not find any loose threads or poor sewing. Only need one trekking pole or stick to set it up. I am going to take it up to the Sierras for a short trip, so I will update this once I get a little dirt time in it. Has anyone used this tent on a backcountry hunt and how did it work out. Here is a link to the website : River Country Products | River Country Products, Backpacking tents, Hiking Gear, and Emergency Preparedness Gear

I know this is NOT going to be the same quality of a Kifaru or Seek Outside tarp tent but I figured for us poor folks this might be a good option. I am hoping someone else has used it and can give some feedback on if it worked out ok.

Last edited:

bmf0713

WKR
Has anyone used any of the River Country Products tents on a backcountry hunt? I just bought one of the trekking pole teepee style tents and man this thing is awesome. Super lightweight and compacts down pretty small (maybe the size of a football). It sets up pretty fast and it has a fully enclosed bug net. The best part, it is only like $40. The materials seemed decent and I did not find any loose threads or poor sewing. Only need one trekking pole or stick to set it up. I am going to take it up to the Sierras for a short trip, so I will update this once I get a little dirt time in it. Has anyone used this tent on a backcountry hunt and how did it work out. Here is a link to the website : River Country Products | River Country Products, Backpacking tents, Hiking Gear, and Emergency Preparedness Gear

I know this is NOT going to be the same quality of a Kifaru or Seek Outside tarp tent but I figured for us poor folks this might be a good option. I am hoping someone else has used it and can give some feedback on if it worked out ok.
You get a chance to try out that tent? I bought the A frame tent but haven’t used it yet. Hoping on using it this spring sometime.

pdxflung

FNG
I bought and used the Trecker Tent 2 on an Oct deer hunt in Central Oregon. Condensation was a bit of an issue, but it was raining a bit one night and couldn't leave it open wide enough. Woke up to a frozen tent, but looking forward to doing the same this fall. I did seam seal most of the main seams just as a precaution. Easy to set up and tear down.

No personal experience but spoke to someone on another forum about the Trekker 2 because I was considering it. He said the condensation was so bad that they had to sleep with stuff over their face to keep water dripping from waking them up.

If you’re looking for a budget tent, checkout the 3F UL Lanshan 2 on AliExpress. It’s a double wall tent. It still will condensate like any tent does but it drips to the ground. The double vestibule is nice too. It’s what I have. $95. Takes 2-3 weeks to receive.

I know there are guys reading this thread and shaking their heads and smirking, but for $50 its tempting to pick one up and try it, the Trekker 2.2 tent looks to have some additional side vents that could help with the condensation issue........or allow water to get in during windy conditions, lol.

JRMiller

WKR
Old thread, but i’ll soon be posting a mod for the Trekker 1 tipi.
Mainly to lighten it up but also to improve ventilation.
All the RCP two man tents are marginal (i own three) but in my opinion there best tent is the 1 man Trekker 1 with some small mods.

Carr5vols

WKR
Old thread, but i’ll soon be posting a mod for the Trekker 1 tipi.
Mainly to lighten it up but also to improve ventilation.
All the RCP two man tents are marginal (i own three) but in my opinion there best tent is the 1 man Trekker 1 with some small mods.
What mods did you do.

JRMiller

WKR
What mods did you do.
Wow I had forgotten about this post😁.
Anyhow, I removed all the bug mesh and the webbing that attaches it, plus added a small (like 8 inch) fiberglass rod to the back vent to hold it open.
The mods make it a hybrid teepee single wall tent.
its a single wall but it It still retains the floor.
Brings the final weight to 2.70lbs.
Of course best for areas there’s not a lot of ants/bugs around.
Nothing special but $45 for a sub 3lb one man tent is not bad

JRMiller

WKR
Wow I had forgotten about this post😁.
Anyhow, I removed all the bug mesh and the webbing that attaches it, plus added a small (like 8 inch) fiberglass rod to the back vent to hold it open.
The mods make it a hybrid teepee single wall tent.
its a single wall but it It still retains the floor.
Brings the final weight to 2.70lbs.
Of course best for areas there’s not a lot of ants/bugs around.
Nothing special but $45 for a sub 3lb one man tent is not bad
I might add that the Trekker 3 has recently become a favorite of me and my buddies.
Its a four man tent but we use it as a two man with (lots) of gear.
Just got back from spring bear in Idaho in it. Got dunked on two nights in a row and was watertight.
Again, not bad for a $65 4.6lb tent

I might add that the Trekker 3 has recently become a favorite of me and my buddies.
Its a four man tent but we use it as a two man with (lots) of gear.
Just got back from spring bear in Idaho in it. Got dunked on two nights in a row and was watertight.
Again, not bad for a $65 4.6lb tent
What's the seam sealing process like? I've always been hesitant to buy non-sealed tents but these are really affordable so I'm tempted.

JRMiller

WKR
What's the seam sealing process like? I've always been hesitant to buy non-sealed tents but these are really affordable so I'm tempted.
I actually only sprayed it (lazy).
I have heard that the four corners of pulled to tight can leak past the stitching.
I have always been in careful to only pull them tighten enough to remove slack in the floor but not taught. Since it’s been right I’m not sure I’ll ever swam seal it but I should.
It just a glue and a brush you brush it along all the seams and let cure

My 11 yr old got the trekker 2.2 for his first solo tent. It sets up easy and has done reasonably well for him so far. I believe he has close to 20 nights in it to date. It's very generous space inside for him and the dog. 2 average sized guys would find the room acceptable but you'd need another tarp for gear. In a couple real gusher thunderstorms he had some light leaking in the corner seams. We got a cheap tarp to pitch over it for real bad rain but only used that extra carry once and it did work to keep it totally dry down the corner seams. For the price and size it's 5 star tent.