RL 19 with 6.5 CM (Barnes 127 gr LRX)

rrstein82

FNG
Classified Approved
Brand new to reloading/handloading (mostly out of necessity as there's literally zero 6.5 ammo available in Los Angeles). Due to scarcity of basically everything I picked up a jug of RL 19. While it there's plenty of load data for 30.06 and other .30 rounds, I can't find any load data for the Barnes 127 gr LRX (or any 6.5 CM bullet under 140 gr); plenty for RL 15 and RL 17, including my Hornady Reloading Manual. Closest I've found is Sierra's data for their 130 gr HPBT.

While RL 19 might not be the optimum powder for 6.5, it's what I've got. For the 130 gr Sierra round they have a min powder charge of 40.2 and maximum of 45.8. I have no intention of playing around with that maximum at this stage, but would it be reasonably/safe/etc. to split the difference and use 42.5 gr of RL 19 for a 127 gr bullet? I'm not looking for the world's most accurate load for competition, just want to be able to shoot and hunt with my rifle...

Start at the minimum and work your way up. In my experience if your bullet weight is less than 5 grains you are usually good to go, but always start on the lower end and work up. I have a pound of RL19 thats been sitting in the cabinet for a while, let me know how it works out for you.