RMBS statewide raffle tag........it’s mine!

RdRdrFan

WKR
So I won’t bore you guys and gals with the story but I won the raffle for the Governors raffle tag at the RMBS annual event Saturday night. To say that I’m pumped is a glorious understatement. The shock has begun to wear off and the gravity of the tag is setting in. It’s easy to see where to start on a tag in a specific unit for a specific season. To do this tag justice is going to be WAAAAY more work than a normal sheep tag. I’m down for it! Just have to figure out where to really start attacking the process.......and I have to figure out what that process really is for a statewide, 4 month tag.

Not having ever dreamed that I would actually have a tag like this, I hadn’t really put much thought into what I would do if I won it. Well, after calling some friends to share the news and a quick call to Epic on Monday morning, one name kept popping up. I made that call, left a message and received a call back that night. Bad news. He had already signed on to help the other Governors tag guy (auction winner that paid $180k for the tag at sheep show). He also had two other buddies that he had agreed to help who drew tags. It kinda sucks when the people who are “in the know” keep saying the same name and then you find out that he is off limits.

So, I’m back at the drawing board and I am working on several options.

I’m open to suggestions if any of you have had a similar tag or know someone who has. It’s overwhelming to basically have the unit barriers be state lines and have season dates that are several months. I’m not complaining. Just being honest. I am blessed beyond measure with this thing. I will enjoy every aspect of it. I just have to figure out HOW to attack it.

MAN! I am freaking jealous! I bought several tickets and it's cool to see another rokslider win the thing. I'm of no help to you at all, but wanted to stop by and say congratulations. Please do a full-write up of the hunt!!

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
You are definitely one lucky guy! I know who the guy is that you're talking about that won't be able to help. I think a good starting point is to post this on The Bighorn Society website if you haven't already. Some of the guys that frequent that site might have some good ideas as far as what units in the state hold some of the bigger rams.

Sandbrew

FNG
I've had the Colorado Bighorn raffle tag before and it can be overwhelming. Don't stress to much and enjoy the adventure. As you know big rams aren't everywhere but they can be where you find them. That being said you can hunt well after everyone else and I would take advantage of the later part of the season in November and December. Pick some units with known for producing bigger rams and plan to look there. Keep in touch with the folks in the RMBS and they may turn up a good ram or 2. Another option is book as an on call client with a well known out fitter who knows sheep and have them looking for you. This ram was killed in late November at over 12500 in a place nobody had ever hunted that late. After my hunt in there at least 3 other 180+ rams where killed there in November and December.

PS that's a Weaver custom 300 WSM I took the ram with. Those are great rifles! Weaver.jpg

Hoot

WKR
Congrats, I was watching live when they called you, good luck in your tag, I’m sure you’ll do just fine!

OP
R

RdRdrFan

WKR
RdRdrFan, has this hunt happened? If so how did it go? If not, when does it happen? Fatrascal.

Still ongoing. Found some really good rams but waiting to see what we can find in a few areas during the rut.

Sandbrew

FNG
So I won’t bore you guys and gals with the story but I won the raffle for the Governors raffle tag at the RMBS annual event Saturday night. To say that I’m pumped is a glorious understatement. The shock has begun to wear off and the gravity of the tag is setting in. It’s easy to see where to start on a tag in a specific unit for a specific season. To do this tag justice is going to be WAAAAY more work than a normal sheep tag. I’m down for it! Just have to figure out where to really start attacking the process.......and I have to figure out what that process really is for a statewide, 4 month tag.

Not having ever dreamed that I would actually have a tag like this, I hadn’t really put much thought into what I would do if I won it. Well, after calling some friends to share the news and a quick call to Epic on Monday morning, one name kept popping up. I made that call, left a message and received a call back that night. Bad news. He had already signed on to help the other Governors tag guy (auction winner that paid $180k for the tag at sheep show). He also had two other buddies that he had agreed to help who drew tags. It kinda sucks when the people who are “in the know” keep saying the same name and then you find out that he is off limits.

So, I’m back at the drawing board and I am working on several options.

I’m open to suggestions if any of you have had a similar tag or know someone who has. It’s overwhelming to basically have the unit barriers be state lines and have season dates that are several months. I’m not complaining. Just being honest. I am blessed beyond measure with this thing. I will enjoy every aspect of it. I just have to figure out HOW to attack it.
Any updates for us? I've seen a few rams chasing but nothing huge yet.