RMEF banquet question

JWP58

WKR
I get all the money raised, and the good stuff rmef does for access and habitat. But is anyone bothered by the drunk fest disguised as a "banquet"? I get that drunks are a little loose with their money and the live auctions are held towards the end. But isn't the "buy a glass and drink as much as you can" situation a bit much?

dotman

WKR
Must be the area, I was the local chair of the KC chapter for 4 years and now help when I can, never once have we had an individual get super drunk. It has always been a family event and that type of behavior is not tolerated but it comes down to the chapter and RD of the region putting the hammer down on that.

So no it is not an RMEF banquet issue, it is an issue with that RMEF banquet. We offer the glass with unlimited refills until the auction starts, then we close up the bar.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Is someone holding a gun to the heads of those who bought the glass and forcing them to drink? Maybe you should start a new temperance movement.

wyosteve

WKR
Same here. I've been to dozens of RMEF banquets and have only seen an occasional drunk. Must be your area which I'm guessing might be the Midwest.

pwsINC

WKR
Same here. I've been to dozens of RMEF banquets and have only seen an occasional drunk. Must be your area which I'm guessing might be the Midwest.
Midwest?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Is someone holding a gun to the heads of those who bought the glass and forcing them to drink? Maybe you should start a new temperance movement.

Suprising response from a militant liberal, figured you'd come at it from a M.A.D.D. bleeding heart angle....

Could be a regional thing I suppose as liquor around here seems to be considered vital food group. Just thought it reflected poorly on the foundation...

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR

Interesting, what's your definition of a drunk? Unconscious? Your guess should've been a lot closer to home....like on w. Lincolnway

Funny stuff
Ive been to a few here in Cent Utah- I never saw alcohol any where
Has to be a local thing.
Though some of the auction prices lead me to believe the guys buying the tags on the other end of the phones are totally wasted

elkguide

WKR
Worked on the RMEF committee here for over 25 years and have never had an alcohol induced issue, and I'm a non-drinker. Don't know what happened at your banquet but I'm sure that if you raised the issue with the chair or the regional director, they would work to not have someone get too far into the bag. I've always know RMEF to be a family friendly event.

The wholesalers probably donated those kegs to the local chapter as well! But I agree you always seem to see one or two people who can be too obnoxious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

WKR
Suprising response from a militant liberal, figured you'd come at it from a M.A.D.D. bleeding heart angle....

Wow! You you are dense. It was a joke. I'm not the one bothered by people adults having a few drinks.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Wow! You you are dense. It was a joke. I'm not the one bothered by people adults having a few drinks.

Yes oh great magnanimus liberal, you are always correct. People that have consumed "a few" drinks have issues walking...how silly of me.

P.s. your jokes suck as much as your opinions.

I have to say, this is the first behavior of this kind I have seen on this site. It is disappointing.

With regards to the original post, we have several conservation chapters here, RMEF, DU, NWTF, Mule Deer Foundation, etc. there is loopholes at almost every event, often the bottomless pint glass. What I have seen is people part with their money more freely, and typically drink in moderation. Those that do not are quickly reigned in by their party.

These banquets are normally member events, and members letting their hair down at an annual gathering doesn't tarnish the image of the organization in my eye.

Seven million acres of conservation reflects much more upon the foundation than the actions of a few banquet attendees.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the local committee and past chair for the RMEF, we don't have a bottomless glass option at our dinner. Generally, there is always going to be a few people attending having a little to much to drink, but we try to keep everybody orderly. We do provide a bottle of wine at the reserved seating for 8 tables. Our fund raising banquet has children present, and we strive to keep a level of professionalism at the dinner.
Mike

woods89

WKR
I have to say, this is the first behavior of this kind I have seen on this site. It is disappointing.

X2. It's been getting a little testy in a few threads. Try turkey hunting, folks! It'll keep you sane!:)

I've seen some new member posts that make me wonder just who is behind the username.

Scottyboy

WKR
I have see way more RMEF volunteers that have had too much than us that are spending the money (no bottomless glass at our banquet). This past year one of the volunteers was feeling good enough that he was slurring every word and handing out the wrong raffle prizes to the wrong people. Was a huge turnoff considering he was also doing the kids raffle

I don't mind patrons drinking, but I feel the people representing the RMEF should be limited in what they consume so they can be a "good face" for the organization.

Im skipping the RMEF banquets for a while and doing SCI and the BHA rendezvous instead

I get all the money raised, and the good stuff rmef does for access and habitat. But is anyone bothered by the drunk fest disguised as a "banquet"? I get that drunks are a little loose with their money and the live auctions are held towards the end. But isn't the "buy a glass and drink as much as you can" situation a bit much?

I've been to banquets, and also helped put them on. Never once did I see anyone I would consider "drunk". I'm sure it happens, but I never saw it. In addition, when I was helping out as banquet staff, I rarely had time to drink very much because I was too busy.

I would recommend you address it with the chapter in question.