RMNP if you could pick one hike?

Jmac

FNG
Newbie here. I’m from Michigan planning a trip to RMNP Labor Day. Few days out of Granby and few out of Estes Park. Talked wife into Granby to scout unit 18. (I know archery will have just started and to clarify by scouting I mean drive main roads and look for potential camp spots and road conditions. I will do my hiking in the park for training on this trip.) Have first Rifle tag but is also a vacation and our first time to park. Besides the scenic drive we are picking Sky Pond as a big day hike. Is that our best choice? Any other suggestions? Any main attractions in park by Granby?

Thank you!

Last edited:

street

WKR
Just my opinion, but anywhere in that area that you can get away from the people.

PJG

WKR
I hiked to it this Saturday. You will more than likely have to park at the shuttle parking inside the park and take the shuttle to the trail head. The bear lake parking lot fills up fast on the weekend. We got to the park at 8 am on Saturday and the parking lot was full. The shuttle runs every 10 to 15 minutes, so no problems with that. You need to be at the shuttle parking probably before 9 am on the weekends before that fills up.

Sky pond as of this weekend has snow in the last part of it and you have to hike up the creek to get to the lake. If you don't mind walking in the water on steep wet rocks then you can get to the lake. If you don't like that or feel uncomfortable then you will be just short of the lake. I'd assume that all of the snow will be gone by that time, but i don't know that for sure.

It is a scenic hike thats not too bad. It's uphill the whole way but not too bad. Their are a lot of people on that trail.

I'll post a picture of the last section as soon as i get them off my camera.

PJG

WKR
you are climbing up something like this for the last section, its not very long, but its steep, wet and rocky.Sky pond.jpg

Fellow Michigander here. I lived in CO for a short stint and spent quite a bit of time in the mountains. By far, one of the best bang for your effort hikes that I did was Emerald Lake. It is a very easy hike and the lake is stunning. If you're looking for something more involved then this wouldn't be your best option. I'm not sure, but I think you'll be parking at the same trailhead as the Sky Pond hike... about 2 hrs from downtown Granby.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/emerald-lake.htm

I've been up to the Loch a half dozen times and it's a pretty busy place. Not many people go beyond to Sky Pond tho. Beautiful area.

If solitude is higher on your list you might consider Lawn Lake, Crystal Lake, that area in the northern part of the park. I've seen more wildlife up that way, elk above treeline and deer. I proposed to my wife up there. Also a pretty stunning place.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I was just out there with the family at the end of March. Had a lot of snow on the ground and not a ton of people. Definitely hike up to sky pond and then continue on. It's really not too bad, my 9 and 11 year old girls did it no problem. Beaver Medows is another good one. Saw tons of elk and quite a few moose. When you go in through Grand Lake, hike up into the Never Summer Mountains wilderness area. We found a nice cow moose up in the treeline and didn't run into another soul. Pack some rain gear, the weather changes really quickly on you as well as more water than you think you need. The Continental Decide trail was cool too, we saw some big horns and mountain goat.
85fcb3b2c32e0a6cea3d00fc264d3b39.jpg
3d75408e2629dde4e527e2c4c764a3ef.jpg
f1253965533eb3e3362680f7d0b7608c.jpg
9321bb00e99d6052c222bc5d70d1c2a4.jpg
af292bf551bb526645ce8327f418f66c.jpg
cec0949f906eea9e18e383a7f6f36e97.jpg
72bb2ff8f7d82c962f783a8538b1c689.jpg
e639b77c3b49d89700321b3ef9c24d7d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
Jmac

Jmac

FNG
I hiked to it this Saturday. You will more than likely have to park at the shuttle parking inside the park and take the shuttle to the trail head. The bear lake parking lot fills up fast on the weekend. We got to the park at 8 am on Saturday and the parking lot was full. The shuttle runs every 10 to 15 minutes, so no problems with that. You need to be at the shuttle parking probably before 9 am on the weekends before that fills up.

Sky pond as of this weekend has snow in the last part of it and you have to hike up the creek to get to the lake. If you don't mind walking in the water on steep wet rocks then you can get to the lake. If you don't like that or feel uncomfortable then you will be just short of the lake. I'd assume that all of the snow will be gone by that time, but i don't know that for sure.

It is a scenic hike thats not too bad. It's uphill the whole way but not too bad. Their are a lot of people on that trail.

I'll post a picture of the last section as soon as i get them off my camera.
Thanks for the info and awesome pic! We plan mid week hopefully.

OP
Jmac

Jmac

FNG
Fellow Michigander here. I lived in CO for a short stint and spent quite a bit of time in the mountains. By far, one of the best bang for your effort hikes that I did was Emerald Lake. It is a very easy hike and the lake is stunning. If you're looking for something more involved then this wouldn't be your best option. I'm not sure, but I think you'll be parking at the same trailhead as the Sky Pond hike... about 2 hrs from downtown Granby.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/emerald-lake.htm
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

OP
Jmac

Jmac

FNG
I've been up to the Loch a half dozen times and it's a pretty busy place. Not many people go beyond to Sky Pond tho. Beautiful area.

If solitude is higher on your list you might consider Lawn Lake, Crystal Lake, that area in the northern part of the park. I've seen more wildlife up that way, elk above treeline and deer. I proposed to my wife up there. Also a pretty stunning place.
Thanks for the info. I will check those other places out for sure.

OP
Jmac

Jmac

FNG
I was just out there with the family at the end of March. Had a lot of snow on the ground and not a ton of people. Definitely hike up to sky pond and then continue on. It's really not too bad, my 9 and 11 year old girls did it no problem. Beaver Medows is another good one. Saw tons of elk and quite a few moose. When you go in through Grand Lake, hike up into the Never Summer Mountains wilderness area. We found a nice cow moose up in the treeline and didn't run into another soul. Pack some rain gear, the weather changes really quickly on you as well as more water than you think you need. The Continental Decide trail was cool too, we saw some big horns and mountain goat.
85fcb3b2c32e0a6cea3d00fc264d3b39.jpg
3d75408e2629dde4e527e2c4c764a3ef.jpg
f1253965533eb3e3362680f7d0b7608c.jpg
9321bb00e99d6052c222bc5d70d1c2a4.jpg
af292bf551bb526645ce8327f418f66c.jpg
cec0949f906eea9e18e383a7f6f36e97.jpg
72bb2ff8f7d82c962f783a8538b1c689.jpg
e639b77c3b49d89700321b3ef9c24d7d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Thanks for other locations and awesome pics!

Phaseolus

WKR
I grew up playing in RMNP. Emerald Lake is nice and easy, got my first case of Giardia there...

For me it is always Long’s Peak though.

Dukejb

FNG
Of the hikes that I’ve done in RMNP Fern Lake is by far my favorite, but Cub Lake, Nymph Lake and Rough Creek above the alluvial fan are all great as well. Lulu City and Timber Lake are the next two on my list.

I grew up playing in RMNP. Emerald Lake is nice and easy, got my first case of Giardia there...

For me it is always Long’s Peak though.
I'm hiking Longs on July 26th (next Friday). Staying in the boulderfield the night before summiting. Super excited but nervous lol. If there is still too much snow/ice I will turn around.

There will be people anywhere you go, but less on the west side and less the further you get from the trailhead. On the East side, Skypond is one of my favorites, the Fern/Odessa loop is great and fairly secluded. Black lake is nice but busy. Thunder Lake is a longer tougher hike, but you’ll see amazing views and very few people