Road conditions west of Montrose

Hi all. I’ve got a third season mule deer tag, west of Montrose, CO. I’m curious about access through the unit. I hear a lot of people talk about Divide road being rough and most being impassable. A side by side seems to be a requirement to get to jump off points. Is this correct? Hopefully there will be snow. I’ve been working a lot of OT and haven’t been able to get out that way. Curious about how many all weather rock roads there are, if any. FS5610, Rd 90, FS5508 seem to be some major arteries. It sounds like the lower BLM is typically better, especially in the canyon and drainage areas. BLM rep was most unhelpful I have ever dealt with. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I might be able to get out there scouting in early October. Thank you.

Divide Road itself is easy peasy lemonade squeezy (I've done it in a car with low profile tires). Any normal highway car can make it no problemo. Its the side roads off of Divide that are a mess. My subaru outback can do them but it is agonizingly slow. I've used mountain bikes. The side roads are really four wheeler/sxs terrirtory, in my opinion.

-My experience is totally from archery during September. I don't know how well Divide is maintained during snow season.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Divide is pretty easy , there are a lot of side routes that are better for a bike , dirt bike or atv.

Really it’s weather dependent . If a big snow happens well you might not get anywhere or it may be dry and you can practically drive like it’s summer . Not on divide , but I’ve been snowed out of lower routes during 2nd season . Chains and stuff may be your friend ( take it from someone who has had to hike out and go get chains to get my truck out ). If you have a truck , weight in the back and good tires help a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Hunted there once. 3rd rifle, and we got pounded with snow. When it melted you weren’t going anywhere off divide rd without chains.