Road Hunters

I see the words “Road Hunter” a lot on this forum. I was wondering what exactly is your definition of “road hunter”?

I’m from N. Florida and “road hunter” means something totally different than what some may be insinuating.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and insight.

**Planning to do a backcountry backpack hunt in 2020**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SouthernPoint
Yup, What Ross said.

Sorta self explanatory no?

Road hunting is illegal in Florida. We have deer dog hunting and use trucks and UTV’s.

I was just trying to get a good understanding of the extent of a “road hunter.”

jsb

FNG
What about somebody who drives roads to glass, then goes after the animals on foot when they are located. Could be considered road hunting.

If I am doing a short hike (half mile to a mile) from the road to a spot I think is kind of overlooked, I consider that a form of road hunting. As in I do not want to shoot an elk unless I am in relatively close proximity to a road, for whatever reason.

The guy I saw shoot a turkey from his driver seat last weekend was definitely road hunting. That's probably the most derogatory example. But I think it's rare for people to shoot something from the car or next to it. Mostly people use road hunting as a way to cover ground and glass as much country as is visible from the road. Which in certain places can be a fair amount.

OP
SouthernPoint
What about somebody who drives roads to glass, then goes after the animals on foot when they are located. Could be considered road hunting.

If I am doing a short hike (half mile to a mile) from the road to a spot I think is kind of overlooked, I consider that a form of road hunting. As in I do not want to shoot an elk unless I am in relatively close proximity to a road, for whatever reason.

The guy I saw shoot a turkey from his driver seat last weekend was definitely road hunting. That's probably the most derogatory example. But I think it's rare for people to shoot something from the car or next to it. Mostly people use road hunting as a way to cover ground and glass as much country as is visible from the road. Which in certain places can be a fair amount.

So, to get away from these so called “road hunters” you recommend getting out of glass sight of any roads?

JG358

WKR
Road hunting is illegal in Florida. We have deer dog hunting and use trucks and UTV’s.

I was just trying to get a good understanding of the extent of a “road hunter.”

Gotcha. LOL, I wasn't trying to be a dick, its just a natural gift to come across that way sometimes.

You'll see dudes that literally just drive back and forth down the same roads hoping to get a shot at something. Some get out of the truck to shoot, some think truck mirrors are the best rifle rest made.

OP
SouthernPoint
Gotcha. LOL, I wasn't trying to be a dick, its just a natural gift to come across that way sometimes.

You'll see dudes that literally just drive back and forth down the same roads hoping to get a shot at something. Some get out of the truck to shoot, some think truck mirrors are the best rifle rest made.

Hahah. I’m just trying to envision what the heck is going on and what to do to avoid it. If this is such an issue, why isn’t this illegal?

jsb

FNG
So, to get away from these so called “road hunters” you recommend getting out of glass sight of any roads?

I'm not recommending anything. Just saying some people glass from the road and are willing to hike a couple miles to stalk animals, so the typical "road hunter" stigma may not be as applicable to them as some fat slob who shoots out his window.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back in the 80s there was a notorious road for people to drive for whitetails in north Idaho we were driving up towards priest lake on this road just at day break we saw break lights ahead could see muzzle blast from the vehicle and road way we slow down and out come several game wardens and red and blue lights🥳👍 the first year they used dummy deer with big rack to entice road hunters😁....we got a good laugh and next week in the paper as I recall they wrote 50plus tickets for shooting from the roadway

OP
SouthernPoint
Back in the 80s there was a notorious road for people to drive for whitetails in north Idaho we were driving up towards priest lake on this road just at day break we saw break lights ahead could see muzzle blast from the vehicle and road way we slow down and out come several game wardens and red and blue lights the first year they used dummy deer with big rack to entice road hunters....we got a good laugh and next week in the paper as I recall they wrote 50plus tickets for shooting from the roadway

Yup, we have those down here too. 40 years later and they still work.

OP
SouthernPoint
I've hunted ND,SD,TX,UT,CO, & CA. I never really understood or cared what road hunting was until I hunted Idaho. I have seen the light.

Please don’t tell me the Idaho residents are more worried about all these nonresidents coming in that are spending loads of money in their state and have a 10-20% chance of killing a deer then they are about all the resident “road hunters”?

JG358

WKR
Back in the 80s there was a notorious road for people to drive for whitetails in north Idaho we were driving up towards priest lake on this road just at day break we saw break lights ahead could see muzzle blast from the vehicle and road way we slow down and out come several game wardens and red and blue lights🥳👍 the first year they used dummy deer with big rack to entice road hunters😁....we got a good laugh and next week in the paper as I recall they wrote 50plus tickets for shooting from the roadway

First buck I ever shot was a DOW decoy. I told them that I should be allowed to keep it since I shot it legally... Was a pretty solid buck.

First buck I ever shot was a DOW decoy. I told them that I should be allowed to keep it since I shot it legally... Was a pretty solid buck.
I'm surprised they didn't cite you for destruction of property, if it was obvious it was a decoy and you knew it was.

Terrapin

WKR
Up here in N Idaho it is an art form. I’ll try and snap a picture of Ma and Pa Kettle. They park perpendicular to the road, roll down both windows, and keep the heater running (it’s cold up here). They can shoot about 100 yards each direction. They must have some success, they are back to the same spot every year, and about mid-way through the season they go from two rifles to one.