Road Hunters

exppi

FNG
We see all types in SW Colorado where I deer hunt. There are locals that just go drive around hoping to catch a glimpse of something to shoot. Then there are the guys with quads and UTVs that like to drive around right when the game should be moving, and even drive into some of the clearings and park so they don't have to walk.

Then there are those older guys here in MT that do the same thing just looking to put meat in the freezer. There are some that won't even slow down for a big buck that's more than 200 yards from the road. I've heard of other areas where the roads are lined with people waiting in their trucks for the elk herds to cross onto the public and when they do it sounds like battle.
I have seen that in MT as well. Especially when the elk are migrating. I once saw about 30 different trucks shoot at a single bull and some gal finally put it down with a 600 yard shot. It was a mess. I was glad I had already filled my tag that year. The crazy part was in the winter when I would see 10,000 head in the valley on my way into high school.

541hunter

WKR
Doesn’t seem much of a challenge, sport or effort to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not typically my style either but I would be lying if I said I haven’t filled the freezer with a last minute buck this way. When it’s raining side ways, which is super common here in western Oregon, you will see a lot of deer moving across gravel roads. I believe it is illegal to shoot from a public right of way but it is not illegal to shoot from a private right of way in Oregon. It is definitely illegal to shoot from a vehicle and to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle while hunting and I will report anyone who I witness doing that, for safety reasons.

One could also say that using dogs to hunt deer is not much of a sport or challenge, but I won’t because I have not experienced it or the culture that utilizes it.

It’s illegal but completely unenforced in AZ. I like road hunters. This last season I watched deer 100 yards from the road duck down when the trucks cruised by and go back to eating when they were gone. More for me.

I am a hybrid roadhunter where I hunt deer. Open Country. There are times I will hike and glass, and times I will glass from the truck. Very effective tactic for finding deer. You still have to get close enough to make a bow shot. I was a roadhunter almost exclusively back when I hunted with a rifle. Way to dangerous to be out walking around. I only wish I would have started bowhunting a long time ago!

kiddogy

WKR
I see the words “Road Hunter” a lot on this forum. I was wondering what exactly is your definition of “road hunter”?

I’m from N. Florida and “road hunter” means something totally different than what some may be insinuating.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and insight.

**Planning to do a backcountry backpack hunt in 2020**

someone who is lost in the woods.

I am a hybrid roadhunter where I hunt deer. Open Country. There are times I will hike and glass, and times I will glass from the truck. Very effective tactic for finding deer. You still have to get close enough to make a bow shot. I was a roadhunter almost exclusively back when I hunted with a rifle. Way to dangerous to be out walking around. I only wish I would have started bowhunting a long time ago!
To me road hunting is cruising around hoping to shoot from the truck. I don’t think of that as road hunting, because you’re still putting in the work of spotting and stalking.

What do you mean by too dangerous to be walking around though?

To me road hunting is cruising around hoping to shoot from the truck. I don’t think of that as road hunting, because you’re still putting in the work of spotting and stalking.

What do you mean by too dangerous to be walking around though?

Way too many rifle tags given in the unit I cut my teeth hunting in. Shots everywhere. Occasional stray bullets a little too close. The last deer I killed with my rifle, the herd of does had crossed over the ridge. The buck was down just below the ridge. As a buddy and I were field dressing, WWlll had broken out from the other side. Bullets were ricocheting off the rocks 10 yards above us. Does are illegal to kill. It was at that time I became a bowhunter in 2007 and haven't looked back

dtrkyman

WKR
If you shoot from the road or truck you are a poacher, road hunting is spotting game from the road and pursuing on foot legally in my opinion.

I have heard some guys call it riding dirty!

541hunter

WKR
If you shoot from the road or truck you are a poacher, road hunting is spotting game from the road and pursuing on foot legally in my opinion.

I have heard some guys call it riding dirty!

So if a guy is walking a road and a buck jumps across the road. The buck stops on top of the cut bank and presents a shot. If the hunter takes the shot from the road he is a poacher? Hmmm I’ll agree with you on shooting from the truck (as it’s an illegal method of take in most places) but will disagree with you on the other point.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am not aware of anywhere you can shoot from the road, even walking the road!

541hunter

WKR
I am not aware of anywhere you can shoot from the road, even walking the road!

From state of Oregon regs:
It is illegal to Hunt or shoot from or across a public Rd, Rd right-of-way or railroad right-of-way, except persons legally hunting on Rds closed to use of motor vehicles by the public.

So as long as it’s not a public road or right of way.. It is legal or if the road is closed to motor vehicle use by the public it is legal.

Now you know one area.

For a little more context, in western Oregon a large amount of hunting occurs on private timberland which is open for walking or vehicle access. You can’t walk a 1/2 mile in any direction with out hitting a rocked or dirt road. These are not roads that have houses or business on them. Most are way out in the middle of nowhere and wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for logging access. The most common rifle hunting method out here is glassing clear cuts looking for elk or deer from landings / roads. Often the shot occurs from the landing and is perfectly legal. Sometimes it requires stalking to move into your effective range.

I feel this is very different than what some are describing.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
My Father in Law was working in Northern Alberta, a vet from the Canadian military took him out road hunting on a buddies farm (population control), the guy's legs and back are all messed up from war wounds, so that's the extent of hunting for him any more. But they're driving along and they see the biggest white tail my FIL has ever seen, in front of the truck, 300 yards out. War vet laughs tells him to shoot it cuz that's an average buck around that area. My FIL jumps out and another bigger buck walks on a hill 200 yards to the side of the truck. Now my FIL isnt tall and the Dodge Ram was lifted. So he spins and lines up on the 2nd deer while supported on the hood. Pulls the trigger. Deer is still standing. But his local guide is losing his marbles, cursing and swearing, fist shaking. So he thinks, well christ, this is embarrassing that he's missed this deer. So he chambers another round and tries again.

Well he didnt get a deer that day. But he got his first ram. The raised center section of the Dodge Ram hood had two perfect bullet holes in it. Absolutely priceless.

Broomd

WKR
They are low life mother f ckers who are unwilling to put in the time for an ethical hunt.
We have many here, one especially, I just saw him in fact and he's passing his lazy-assed ways on to his son. They've been up and down our road a dozen times today. He simply WILL NOT exit his vehicle to actually hunt. Mind boggling. And no, the guy isn't disabled, he's lazy.
Ironically, they drove up and down this morning and I saw a good buck pop out and walk across the field right after they left.
If they had the integrity to actually hunt they would have rattled or grunted him right to a stand.

Tomorrow at about 3:45 I'll be grabbing my wheeler and picking up pop cans and trash up and down the road until dark. I did that last week, and I'm sure that activity saved more than a few does.
This season is the first time I've looked into the eyes of these road hunting scumbags and they look exactly as I pictured.

Oh yeah, I wear a .44 when I'm out there.

Broomd

WKR
I worry about the things I legitimately care about due to road hunters' bullets flying around here.

Quick story...I did a brake job on my elderly neighbor's truck several years ago, as we were standing in my driveway we were both nearly killed when bullets flew over our heads from my back property. We went to the back and found the road hunters with an elk; wife called, the law came and there were several citations issued.
Road hunters were shooting at that skylined elk (after shooting light ended no less) and half of the bullets came over the hill towards us.
Yeah, our home and livestock and very lives take priority these days.

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
They are low life mother f ckers who are unwilling to put in the time for an ethical hunt.
We have many here, one especially, I just saw him in fact and he's passing his lazy-assed ways on to his son. They've been up and down our road a dozen times today. He simply WILL NOT exit his vehicle to actually hunt. Mind boggling. And no, the guy isn't disabled, he's lazy.
Ironically, they drove up and down this morning and I saw a good buck pop out and walk across the field right after they left.
If they had the integrity to actually hunt they would have rattled or grunted him right to a stand.

Tomorrow at about 3:45 I'll be grabbing my wheeler and picking up pop cans and trash up and down the road until dark. I did that last week, and I'm sure that activity saved more than a few does.
This season is the first time I've looked into the eyes of these road hunting scumbags and they look exactly as I pictured.

Oh yeah, I wear a .44 when I'm out there.

Low life mother fuckers?
A little angry are we?
I know a few guys that would be considered road hunters and they are far from being low life mother fuckers. I have read plenty of your post to know you deal with a considerable amount of b.s. from roadies, particularly from the great state of Washington. Some guys love to hunt and due to health problems or old age they just cant hike 8 to 12 miles into somewhere to make what would be considered a legit, tough, Rokslide kill. My wife and I both love to hunt and we have small kids and we cant always find a babysitter during deer season so instead of sitting at home we load the kids up and take them with us. One of us will drop the other one off somewhere and go wait a few canyons over or at the bottom of a drainage for whoever is out to get back to the vehicle. There is also times we will drive around and glass from the road. So there is alot of driving around while out trying to kill something. I can assure you my wife and daughters are far from no good scumbags. Not trying to start a pissing match, but your painting with some very broad brushstrokes here.
For the record I've had plenty of hunts screwed up by some dumbass in a jeep or quad driving somewhere they should not have been and wished bad shit would happen to their transportation, so I can relate to the frustration.

Broomd

WKR
Don't give me that 'health' or 'disabled" bullshit. I just saw a pic of a guy with his daughter in a wheelchair with a great muley buck. She wasn't complaining, she was getting it done. That thread in on this very RS forum!

Besides, how does a 'disabled' road hunter physically retrieve, drag and load his deer, or elk God forbid? It's a miracle!

To be sure there are wounded warriors and others who are challenged, but many of these people are the last to cave to illegally shooting from the road, they are too classy and have too much integrity to even think of that garbage. I'd hunt with those guys or gals any day, and I'd help in any way I could!

Tired of reading from guys who run defense for these low life mother f ckers who oft times shoot something from the road, and if it doesn't immediately drop gets left for an already thick coyote pack. And of course the tag goes unnotched until they finally succeed,.... wash, rinse, repeat. Ask me how many times I've witnessed that exact scenario around here.
Angry? When was the last time you were shot at accidentally? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
It’s illegal but completely unenforced in AZ. I like road hunters. This last season I watched deer 100 yards from the road duck down when the trucks cruised by and go back to eating when they were gone. More for me.
That is crazy. They saw enough of their pals shot and learned to duck. Unbelievable.

Azone

WKR
I sometimes help a guy that had a heart attack a few years back that just cant quite get around like he use to. If he is fortunate enough to kill something from the road (not off the mirror) or from whatever vantage point he can make it to I will go get it for him. Its obviously a sore subject for you, so I'm not gonna push the matter anymore. For the record though I have been accidentally shot at two times with a rifle and once with a 12 gauge, yeah it pissed me off, alot. I'm in no means trying to play devil's advocate for the Natty Ice crowd trashing shit and spinning donuts in every forest camp ground I despise them just as much as the next guy.

netman

WKR
If you ride around with earplugs in you might be a road hunter.
Last week in Colorado on Saturday I was driving up to my hunting destination. It took almost 30 minutes longer to get there as Road hunters had different sections of the road staked out. The look of disgust they gave me when they had to move was priceless.
They don’t bother me.