Road Hunting Deer in AZ

I am looking to archery hunt in AZ this January for Mule deer. It will be my first time and I would love to bring my dad out there with me just to glass and have conversation with and perhaps direct me on a stalk. However he is 70 years old and has an amputated leg, so getting far from the vehicle is not an option. What I am looking for is OTC unit suggestions in AZ that have a lot of dirt roads on lots of public land that I may be able to easily access and walk 100-200 yards from the jeep to setup glassing from. I am not looking for trophy bucks, or anyones honey hole, just suggestions as to areas to look at with the best road access. If it matters, I will likely be meeting him in Vegas. Thanks in advance.

Lots of county maintained roads to drive on and see game.

Last edited:
Most of Arizona hunting units have roads everywhere. You honestly might be successful just driving around in a truck in the trees and hopping out when you see a buck. I know more than a few people who have been successful doing it, and I nearly was last year by complete accident. Use Toprut, OnX and Google Earth and you'll find a bunch of places to choose from.

MMB1

FNG
Many of the units have tons of roads and access here in AZ. Depending where you will be, if you're near Phoenix, 24b and 22 have lots of road access where you can glass right off the road.

WKR
As others have stated, most units in AZ have roads going through em all over the place. You can look into the 36 units but it might be a far drive from Vegas. Maybe look into 6A, it is open the 1-15 of Jan not the whole month like most units.

So I've only done this hunt once, and only for a couple days at that, but I'll say I did a lot of e-scouting in preparation and was completely caught off guard by the quality of the roads in the areas I wanted to go. The main lower elevation roads were pretty good, but all the dashed roads/trails going up to the higher elevation stuff were pretty sketchy, big ruts through them from washouts, tight, steep, rocky. I wouldn't take a vehicle I cared much about up them. Most everyone I saw accessing them were using UTV's.

Haha she gets nasty in that desert! Pretty quick too! Add some rain and mud and rental jeep is suddenly getting beat up pretty bad!