Road trip to Colorado

Hey guys. I'm heading west on a short road trip with the family in a few weeks. We are heading to Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park, Arches National park in Utah and then staying in Colorado Springs to head up to Pikes peak. Any suggestions on what to do along the way either at the parks or around these areas? My boys are ages 11 and 9. We have discussed ziplining and Whitewater rafting - I'd be open to any other suggestions as well if you care to share - thanks!

CoStick

WKR
Rocky Mountain national park is by reservation I believe if you were not aware. In Utah try to check out canyon lands as well.

Something we hit once that I was impressed/surprised by was the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge. We just hit it one evening, totally unplanned. It's all high fence/replanted. Easy place that the kids can see animals, it's almost a safari park.

I just do habitat restoration work so it was interesting to me to see a project that size. Might not be for everyone, but it's quick, easy, good number of things to see on the loop.

Highly Recommend White Water Rafting. We done it with our boys when they were 9 & 6 and they absolutely loved it. We did this down around the Royal Gorge Canon City area.

OP
180splitg3
Thanks guys. Just checked out RM national park and we cannot get an access pass for the days we are there 👎🏻Trying to decide what to do now with that part of the trip in the Denver area...

Red Rocks for a concert, or just for an easy hike.

The boys might like Dinosaur Ridge.

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Get there early to avoid lines for the rides. Save the cave tours for mid day when it gets hot out.

Great Sand Dunes NP

Maybe look at a fishing charter on a reservoir up in the mountains.

Or book a horseback ride.

Find a swimming hole. Some bodies of water in CO do not allow body contact. If your not sure, check the regs or risk a ticket.

I haven't been there, but Guffey Gorge/Paradise Cove looks pretty cool and is near Pikes Peak.

OP
180splitg3
Red Rocks for a concert, or just for an easy hike.

The boys might like Dinosaur Ridge.

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Get there early to avoid lines for the rides. Save the cave tours for mid day when it gets hot out.

Great Sand Dunes NP

Maybe look at a fishing charter on a reservoir up in the mountains.

Or book a horseback ride.

Find a swimming hole. Some bodies of water in CO do not allow body contact. If your not sure, check the regs or risk a ticket.

I haven't been there, but Guffey Gorge/Paradise Cove looks pretty cool and is near Pikes Peak.
Thank you!

OP
180splitg3
Canyoneering and repelling near Moab, or rent a Jeep and go play on the rocks.
We are planning to rent a jeep or side by side in Moab. Do we need a guided tour to do this or could we rent a vehicle and explore on our own?

Seth

WKR
I’ll second Glenwood caverns. My kids really enjoyed that part of our trip a couple of years ago and still talk about it. Depending on your interests, Idaho Springs and Georgetown can be worth checking out. Bighorn sheep are pretty easy to find in the area. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is neat as well.

bobr1

WKR
I was reading that arches national park was basically closing off the entrance by 7:30 am due to parking and there were several hour waits. So I would highly recommend you visit and research all the parks websites to see what the situation is. It looks like for RMNP you can buy them online at recreation.gov starting at 5pm the day before and you can also go in before 5 am or after 6pm without a permit.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/timed-entry-permit-system.htm

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm

I’ll second Glenwood caverns. My kids really enjoyed that part of our trip a couple of years ago and still talk about it. Depending on your interests, Idaho Springs and Georgetown can be worth checking out. Bighorn sheep are pretty easy to find in the area. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is neat as well.
We were in Glenwood a few weeks ago. I spotted some big horns just across the street from the gondola base.

Try to be headed in the opposite direction of traffic. The highway is bumper to bumper headed into the mountains on Fridays after 2 and coming back on Sundays.

CoStick

WKR
In Denver Watertown canyon is a cool place, resident big horn sheep along with pretty much all the wildlife CO has if you are spending time around Denver.

sndmn11

WKR
I have lived here all my life and so has my family. We just did a "camping" trip at the Royal Gorge and it was pretty rad. I was down that way this weekend and the rafting seemed to have not slowed down yet. It is maybe an hour to hour and a half from Co Springs depending on what part you are staying in.

I have never been to Pike's Peak or inside RMNP....

Castlewood Canyon EAST of Co Springs is pretty cool.

The Fort or Black Hat Cattle are good places if you go to Red Rocks and want to spend some money, if you don't 5281 is the best restaurant in the area. We eat from there once or twice a week.

I would try to take one highway out to Utah, and then a different one back. Maybe take I70 west, and then Naturita->Montrose ->US50 or US50 to 285 to 24.

3forks

WKR
There’s a railroad museum in Golden that people love and it offers a short ride.

Golden itself is few minutes away and you can tour the Coors brewery. Golden is worth walking around and has a few good restaurants, and there’s a couple of hikes you can do (almost right in town) that will help burn off the kid’s energy and give you great views of Denver/Golden.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drive over Loveland pass and park at the summit, go check the views above tree line. Plenty of zipline and rafting around Idaho Springs (20 minutes west of Denver).

Red Rocks in Morrison is cool but I also like Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. You can drive and park and walk short trails depending on your mood. Kids get a kick out of seeing people climb the rocks so look up.