Road Trippin

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
So, I’m planning a little road trip for my dad and I this August. He’ll be 73 in July, and I’m 25. I originally was trying to plan a hunting trip for us, but due to some scheduling conflicts I had to schedule my 2 weeks of vacation at the end of August. So now I’m trying to put together a fly fishing/ camping trip for us. We’ll be driving from West Virginia and I didn’t really have a specific destination in mind, and that’s where I’m going to ask for some help with ideas. About the only place I’ve looked into so far was the Madison river around Bozeman, MT. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would try to start googling and find a route that includes Beartooth Pass MT, Livingston MT (Yellowstone River) Ennis MT (Madison River), Wisdom MT (Big Hole), Salmon & Stanley ID (Salmon River), Ketchum (Big Wood River), and back around towards E ID (South Fork Snake, Henry’s Fork) then back through Jackson WY.

Fordguy

WKR
Having grown up in Michigan, and still visiting, hunting and fishing there every year, I can tell you that Michigan is an under rated trout fishing destination. I'm not likely to give away too many secrets, but you can find quiet unpressured streams and rivers from the mid lower peninsula to the top of the U.P. that have wild, native trout. Some streams have stocked fish rainbows and browns as well. Personally, I find it hard to beat a wild brook trout, they're a pretty fish, fun to catch and good eating. There's always the option to book a charter on one of the big lakes for salmon, lakers etc. If you get tired of stream and river fish too.
I doubt that you could travel a mile in a straight line in most parts of michigan without encountering water of some sort.
That said, I've found good trout fishing from Montana all the way over to Oregon in my excursions. I've never taken a trip specifically for the fishing, just fished wherever I happened to be.

FLAK

WKR
I would plan that road trip to Bozeman and explore every opportunity between WV
and there, as you go. Stop where you like, move along when you're ready.
Maybe you never get to Bozeman, but you will have a great trip.
It's not the destination, its the trip.
Good on you for taking your dad.

Dirtbag

WKR
You might consider a day or 2 on the Green River in Utah/Wyoming. And/or Flaming Gorge.
This is good advice if you and your dad want to go somewhere and catch a pile of fish during your float. 20K fish per mile below Flaming Gorge dam. Its a good time.

So, I’m planning a little road trip for my dad and I this August. He’ll be 73 in July, and I’m 25. I originally was trying to plan a hunting trip for us, but due to some scheduling conflicts I had to schedule my 2 weeks of vacation at the end of August. So now I’m trying to put together a fly fishing/ camping trip for us. We’ll be driving from West Virginia and I didn’t really have a specific destination in mind, and that’s where I’m going to ask for some help with ideas. About the only place I’ve looked into so far was the Madison river around Bozeman, MT. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Its great to hear that someone had kids later in life than me!! Thumbs up for you old man!!

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I know a great guide here in NE wyoming if your interested in floating the Bighorn river.

I’m very interested actually. Pm me their info whenever you have a chance! Thank you

WCB

WKR
Unless you really want to visit Bozeman I would avoid it. Place is a F'n zoo all the time now. You have A LOT of good trout water to pass through before you get there. The Bighorn MTs have great fishing. Then you have the actually Big Horn river on each side of the WY and MT border. If you get up into MT further...the Missouri, Big Hole, Black Foot. Heck the Boulder east of Bozeman.

I've just been going to Bozeman area since the mid 90s and guided out there in the early 2000s and that place has changed for the worse but honestly it may be worth the stop if you have never been there.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you really want to visit Bozeman I would avoid it. Place is a F'n zoo all the time now. You have A LOT of good trout water to pass through before you get there. The Bighorn MTs have great fishing. Then you have the actually Big Horn river on each side of the WY and MT border. If you get up into MT further...the Missouri, Big Hole, Black Foot. Heck the Boulder east of Bozeman.

I've just been going to Bozeman area since the mid 90s and guided out there in the early 2000s and that place has changed for the worse but honestly it may be worth the stop if you have never been there.

I appreciate the honesty. The only reason I mentioned Bozeman was because I had just got done reading an article about how good of fishing the Madison river was. I’m open to anything and like someone else had mentioned: I have a lot to fish before I even get to Bozeman. And fishing the black foot has always been something I’ve been wanting to do since I watched “a river runs through it” as a kid