Roadkill for food in NV

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like nevada is considering it, you obtain a permit to harvest after the crash. I feel bad for the deer that get hit and nothing happens because its illegal. I know some states have a team that harvest the meat and donate it to the soup kitches, some allow roadkill, we are not allowed to touch it....

I dont know much about other states, have any gone to a permit type or is it honor system hoping a poacher wont kill and use it as the excuse?

BFR

WKR
In Montana you can salvage deer, elk, moose & antelope and have 24 hrs to get a “ vehicle killed permit” online, no cost. However you have to take it whole, you can’t field dress it on the roadside.
The poacher claim was made here, but think about it is it worth $2-4K of damage to your vehicle, or possibly a total loss for a few pounds of meat?

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
In Montana you can salvage deer, elk, moose & antelope and have 24 hrs to get a “ vehicle killed permit” online, no cost. However you have to take it whole, you can’t field dress it on the roadside.
The poacher claim was made here, but think about it is it worth $2-4K of damage to your vehicle, or possibly a total loss for a few pounds of meat?

I think they are more worried about someone taking one with a rifle and callign it road kill. We got some real peices of sh** out here..... few years back someone shot a couple muleys in the spine and left them to die paralyzed. hiker called in the deer and the warden had to put them down.

280Ackley

WKR
Same way in Idaho. Thought I was going to get a moose this morning on the way to work. He was bedded down in the ditch next to the road with a crow on him but when I stopped he got up and walked away!!!

BFR

WKR
I think they are more worried about someone taking one with a rifle and callign it road kill. We got some real peices of sh** out here..... few years back someone shot a couple muleys in the spine and left them to die paralyzed. hiker called in the deer and the warden had to put them down.

They might get away with it depending on whether there are witnesses. If they were seen here it would get reported, guaranteed, plus Game Wardens do occasionally spot check a reported salvage. Besides, a poacher isn’t likely to call attention to his crime, he wants to keep it quiet.

dmozer74

FNG
In Colorado we can harvest roadkill with some steps to clear it with cpw first. I spend a lot of time driving in the mountains and make sure to always have my stuff with me in case I luck upon a roadkill deer or elk.

Yeah why not allow it? Poachers are gonna break the law anyway IMO, so I like the idea of people getting use of the animal if hit by accident.