Rock Climbing Harness for Treestand Hunting

Yakoun

FNG
New tree stand hunter here - please bear with me. I'm trying to get geared up for a "run and gun" public land set up - meaning that I won't ever be leaving my stand up - it goes with me when I leave. I bought a lone wolf alpha hang on stand and some pretty basic muddy stagger steps and gave it a whirl this weekend. The stand was great and the steps were heavy but functional. I used the harness, lineman's belt and tether that came with the lone wolf stand. They were woefully inadequate in my opinion and scary to use. The harness was so big I couldn't get it tight enough (I'm 5'11 185lbs) and the straps were very prone to twisting and sticking in the center buckle. So I'm looking at replacing the whole works with some better stuff. The linesman's rope and tether construction are well described lots of places in terms of making your own out of mountaineering components. Cool. What is more nebulous to me is the harness. People seem to really be talking up the virtues of rock climbing harnesses, but I don't understand how you can use both a tether and a linesman belt with one. Do they have load bearing loops on the sides to accommodate a linesman's belt as well as the center loop to accommodate the tether? I've seen some mods on youtube, but not super keen on cutting and sewing onto a harness. The use of two straps - lineman's and tether - proved itself out my first outing to get around branches and such without ever being detached. What am I missing here?

rj2

WKR
they all have a place in the center for your lifeline/tether to clip into. the trick is finding some that have load bearing loops on the sides. I'd search around archery talk and other forums for rock climbing harnesses with linesmans loops and you should see a few suggestions I would think.

ADR

FNG
I attach my lineman’s belt around the main waist belt between stirrup attachments. Seems to work great and the waist belt is load bearing. Love rock climbing harnesses for tree stand hunting.

Kahuna

FNG
Check Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness podcast on YouTube. I think he uses a Petzl with side loops.

Edit:

OP
Yakoun

Yakoun

FNG
Check Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness podcast on YouTube. I think he uses a Petzl with side loops.

Edit:
Thanks, I love this guy’s videos! I hadn’t seen this one yet, just the previous iteration where he sewed some daisy chain loops on with webbing which I’m not ready to do. This is encouraging!

OP
Yakoun

Yakoun

FNG
I attach my lineman’s belt around the main waist belt between stirrup attachments. Seems to work great and the waist belt is load bearing. Love rock climbing harnesses for tree stand hunting.
Ah so you just hook the ‘biners of the linesman rope right to the belt portion of the harness. Makes sense, but how do they not slide back and forth? What holds them there?

ADR

FNG
Ah so you just hook the ‘biners of the linesman rope right to the belt portion of the harness. Makes sense, but how do they not slide back and forth? What holds them there?
Correct. All three of my harnesses have straps from the leg stirrups that attach on the lateral aspects of the harness. Attaching the ‘biners to the belt behind those straps keeps them from sliding forward on your belt. One good example is the black diamond BOD if you want to see the leg strap attachment.

If you go rock climbing harness make sure you size for top your huniting clothes. I had to buy another harness for hunting.

wesfromky

WKR
You will have to mod just about any climbing harness to work with a linesmens or tether. You might look at buying a saddle instead - they have everything setup for climbing. You don't have to actually hunt hanging from it, but if you are looking at doing more of a run and gun setup, then it might be a good direction to start moving toward.

You put your harness over your insulated clothing?

I have not worn a harness over bibs bibs But I have worn it over thicker pants and base layers. My primary rock harness I use for climbing is sized for summer weight pants and not much else. I tried if for tree stand use and found I didn’t like it for going over my hunting pants with a base layer and belt. I BT one with adjusting leg loops and belt that allows me to adjust up. If you pt it on over bulky layers, make damn sure it adjusted tightly so don’t slip out.

N2TRKYS

WKR
10-4. I always wore my full body harness under my heavy clothes and I wear my rch the same way. I like putting my heavier clothes on after I’m up in the stand.

OP
Yakoun

Yakoun

FNG
Thanks to all who responded. Got a BD Alpine BOD (in a size up) winging it's way to me. Going to try a few different lineman belt attachment methods - Clipping right on to the belt behind the leg attachment, putting carabiners in the same spots and clipping to them, clipping to the middle and finally, rigging a loop of webbing through the back loop (rated at 12kN) and tied in at the sides to clip into.

Beebeboy

FNG
I run the tethrd mantis saddle for deer hunting here in Michigan. It’s an absolute game changer I’m sure you’ll like it. You can setup in any tree at any time. Being that mobile you can really adjust to movement. I recommend getting a ropeman for adjusting your tension against the tree and a platform so it’s more comfortable/easier to lean and shoot if need be.