Rock Pit Shooting and Learning

To muddy to really shoot at the farm so today I headed to the 'Rock Pit' to get some additional shooting in...

It was a shooting session, missed shots, made shots, a couple of mistakes, and even a learning session. Got to take 32 shots in all at Birds, Chips, and even a couple on paper.

Under things that I have Learned today:

The NECG peep sight - Couple of things that I found out about the sight. It really is not a bad sight system. Were, I choosing a peep sight that would remain all the time I still would go with the Williams FP, I do not think that Lyman builds one that will fit. But, for my purpose, the rifle will be scoped 95% of the time and then for the ML season here in Idaho, the NECG will go on and off the scope bases.

It is an adequate peep sight but you should read the directions before adjusting the sight, then, maybe review it a bit when you go to make those final critical adjustments. The directions does offer some valuable information about the amount of movement. All movements remain somewhat a 'guess' and 'try' situation.

The windage adjustment worked as directed and it turns out that I had plenty of left right movement.

Elevation on the other hand did take some trail and error. I had replaced the Knight factor front sight with a Williams ramp. I then placed a .312N front blade in the ramp bore sighted it here in the house. When I shot it the other day at 25 and 50 yards I did find out that I did not have enough elevation adjustment. This morning I replaced the .312N blade with a .250N blade (lower blade). Bore sighted again and yet when I got to the pit and sighted it in I had to run the sight up in elevation to the point that I was nearing the end again. But as I found out I did have more than enough.

I also had a slight problem with the elevation adjustment on the sight. There seems to be some slack in the worm gear and the teeth on the elevation arm. It seems to me that this little bit of movement could lead to the elevation moving during shooting. I am going to call NECG on Monday and see what one of their techs might offer.

This picture shows the elevation graduations and the elevation control

ElevationComposite.jpg

There is not method to tighten the elevation in place other than the worm gear.

Another learning experience… Shooting a percussion cap in the semi closed breech area is dirty! And gets very dirty!!! I ended up shooting 32 shots in the pit this morning and I did find it necessary to remove the bolt and clean the surface of the bolt and the inside of receiver about half way through the shooting. The bolt slide just became too much of a drag as the surfaces clogged up. In normal hunting conditions this would never be a problem.

Shooting… I was shooting my normal hunting load 110 grains of T7-3f, #11 Mag caps, either CCI or Dynamit Nobels 1075+. Knight red sabot and Bloodline 275 grain bullet. I started at 25 yards on paper again – moved it to 100. With two shots at 100 I had it won – so I moved to the more fun thing shooting birds.

I missed the first two shots on the first set of birds and had to return to paper- and yep the elevation had moved and I was shooting low. I believe the arm vibrated down in the worm gear. I reset the elevation moving the worm gear to contact and then the up to the set point. After insuring the worm gear had contact with slide in the upward position everything seemed to remain steady.

From there I was able to clear the wall of 4 different bird sets using both the 275 grain Bloodlines and the 300 grain bloodlines…

Here is a picture of the morning’s activities…

ShootComposite.jpg

One last point and I think Shawn T already warned me about this... I ran out of my original order of Bronze #11 nipples. I order 4 more and installed on of the new ones in this rifle. It repeatedly cause a slight hang fire. I removed the nipple and installed a Knight nipple and never had a problem after that.

AMPCO11.jpg

My original order of these nipples have worked very well. I measured the flash hole on the new nipples and they are less than .030". The Knight measures .032".

So ends the day of learning...

OP
sabotloader
One problem solved... If you tighten the aperture that locks the elevation slide... I did not read the directions to find that a fellow poster did. Guess I will now sit down and read each line... I still remember... Tim Toolman said "real men do not read directions"

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey,
very good stuff. I've been swamped and haven't been able to read up until today.
So with the problem solved on the peep, are you satisfied with how the worm gear functions now?

The percussion caps, musket and #11, are dirty compared to the rifle primers for sure.

OP
sabotloader
Hey,
very good stuff. I've been swamped and haven't been able to read up until today.
So with the problem solved on the peep, are you satisfied with how the worm gear functions now?

The percussion caps, musket and #11, are dirty compared to the rifle primers for sure.

Yep! I think the sight works very well now... Still though if I were hunting strictly with a peep sight, never thinking about converting back and forth I would get a Williams FP Peep sight - but I have to verify that it will fit the rifle with the new Kevlar stock.