Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Well I liked hunting out west so much I done went and got me a disease named after it!! Found out a day or so ago I got Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever from a tick bite, while i was out looking for mushrooms this year. Got a rough couple of weeks in front of me from what I can read

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you feel better. hopefully, you caught it pretty quick to lessen the recovery period.

Hate to hear that...they still pump u full of tetracycline for the treatment?...if so stock up on yogurt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My friend's dad got it the same way. If you tell him he has a tick on him now he strips down buck naked. That stuff is no joke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
hate those things
first time ever using permethrene (however you spell it) and so far on turkey hunts this year i havent had as much as a fly on me so seems to be the magic trick.
wish you a speedy recovery

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Were you aware of any ticks on you or were you caught by surprise? What made you go to the doctor?

I know i had been bitten at least twice, usually after i come in from mushroom hunting i have the wife inspect me for ticks. We had pulled at least two off me that was "dug in" and of course I had knocked a few more off that i felt crawling on me while out n about too.

I got a crazy rash tuesday morning on my way to work is what made me go to the doctor, over the weekend i had headache, body aches, one minute freezing, one minute buring up and sweating, i thought i was getting the flu, but all that ended sunday evening. I worked monday other than being tired, i felt OK, but that rash hit me and i knew something was wrong

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Whenever I hear someone diagnosed with this I am always amazed that I have not been. I grew up in east central Oklahoma and have picked thousands of ticks off in my life. Maybe I was just lucky.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
It just keeps getting worse too.
You don't want lyme disease either. Symptoms can be permanent.
Young man in my deer lease got bit by a lonestar tick. He is now allergic to "red" meat. Think about that one for a minute. No beef. deer or pork. This can be permanent too.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Whenever I hear someone diagnosed with this I am always amazed that I have not been. I grew up in east central Oklahoma and have picked thousands of ticks off in my life. Maybe I was just lucky.
Yeah I was the "it'll never happen to me" guy too, i generally pick 4 or so off of me after a quick evening mushroom hunt, and never thought twice about lyme or this, hell i didnt even know rocky mtn spotted fever was in the east, i thought it was only out west due to the name

Rich M

WKR
Permethrin concentrate can be purchased - $15 or so at farm stores. They use it for spraying barn yards.

You can mix it in a 5-gallon bucket and dunk your hunting clothes in, then let em drip dry, etc. Be careful the stuff will kill your cats. Supposed to be safe for humans.

Folks forget about interstate travel and commerce - there is no disease in the east that isn't in the west, etc.

diyhntr

FNG
I went bear hunting on Tuesday and picked one up right behind my left knee. I did my normal routine and plucked him out, I verified I had the head out too and went to bed. Wednesday morning I had a little bluish dot around the bite. Thursday morning it was even bigger. Off to the doc I went and I got two pills. I too have had tons of ticks and had the “bullseye” on my back from a bite. Luckily I have only had the two occurrences of infection. They are probably going to be bad this year. Watch yourselves.

They gave me an antibiotic Dioxphlyne or something similiar (not sure of spelling) but i remember reading about it being dervied from tetracycline or something to that effect
I was on tetra for lime 20 years ago...stay out of the sun and get the "good" bacteria back in digestive system asap. Get plenty of rest. May you have a speedy recover!

They gave me an antibiotic Dioxphlyne or something similiar (not sure of spelling) but i remember reading about it being dervied from tetracycline or something to that effect

Doxycycline most likely. Make sure to take every last pill, use sunscreen when outside, take a probiotic daily (like Culturelle), and take it easy. Let your physician know if anything changes. Good luck in your recovery!