Rok Blog Posts

hey thank you. yea very hard to get bucks on film in that country. and I was alone when I shot at the buck at the end.

here’s the pic of his doe laying down before the other one got all jacked up and everything stood up. She’s in the yellow circle on left. He stepped into the opening at the right yellow circle. Had plenty of time to shoot but very hard to steady on one knee and shoot under the branches. still not sure what happened.
adc9459f1217ce4d6c370ec49f9ee635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it makes you feel any better, I missed a similar shot in the thick timber this year...except it was more like 40 yards 😭

still not sure how it happened either but luckily he stopped and I got him on the follow up.

it can be so easy to miss!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If it makes you feel any better, I missed a similar shot in the thick timber this year...except it was more like 40 yards

still not sure how it happened either but luckily he stopped and I got him on the follow up.

it can be so easy to miss!!

much better, thanks. hahaha

View attachment 261890
View attachment 261931

Swarovski BTX: Big Time Xtreme Glassing is up here
Hey Robby, appreciate the BTX article, Ive been looking for more first hand accounts that included effective distances! This tool has so much potential its almost hard to wrap my head around so thanks for documenting your experience. I know you mentioned the 15s being more versatile, but wondering for guys who are contemplating purchasing either the 15 SLCs OR a BTX setup, which would you say is the better option for finding deer in the intermountain west states (and would this change by season/habitat?) Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, appreciate the BTX article, Ive been looking for more first hand accounts that included effective distances! This tool has so much potential its almost hard to wrap my head around so thanks for documenting your experience. I know you mentioned the 15s being more versatile, but wondering for guys who are contemplating purchasing either the 15 SLCs OR a BTX setup, which would you say is the better option for finding deer in the intermountain west states (and would this change by season/habitat?) Thanks!

Hey thanks for the read. if you can only buy one, the 15x. They’re just more versatile. The BTX is heavy and if you do backcountry hunting at all, you’ll lean more on those 15X. BTX is for really big glassing jobs.

Bojo34

FNG
Thanks for the great info. re: the BTX. Been considering this optic for a bit now. Question on your Distance comments....assume your thoughts on 1 to 5 miles being the sweet-spot applies to the 35x as you were using the 95mm objective, I believe? Any sense for whether that range would change much using the 30x with either the 65 or 85mm objectives?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the great info. re: the BTX. Been considering this optic for a bit now. Question on your Distance comments....assume your thoughts on 1 to 5 miles being the sweet-spot applies to the 35x as you were using the 95mm objective, I believe? Any sense for whether that range would change much using the 30x with either the 65 or 85mm objectives?
Hi. it would shrink it a bit, but as mentioned, I’ve used 15x at those distances, so the 30x will be good and save you some weight.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Trophy-blacktails-696x1048.jpeg

Hey Roksliders, just finished up this book review. Besides great knowledge on hunting Blacktails (and Mule Deer), there is a great offer from our partner, Novagrade Digiscoping Adapters. You can get a complimentary copy of the book AND save $10 on their Double Gripper that @realunlucky reviewed for us. All info is in the book review:

I love a good deer hunting book to fuel the fire for next year! Ordered one and looking forward to the read

Hoodie

WKR
Haugen´s book is fantastic. Really good info on how to locate/scout for deer year round. He also does a really good job breaking down the differences in deer movement and behavior in different regions, i.e. Coast Range, Cascades, Willamette Valley.

Another must read for blacktails (and mule deer in thick timber) is Blacktail Trophy Tactics by Boyd Iverson. Tons of useful info on scouting, and a great chapter on still-hunting. It´s a little old, but it´s a classic.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Haugen´s book is fantastic. Really good info on how to locate/scout for deer year round. He also does a really good job breaking down the differences in deer movement and behavior in different regions, i.e. Coast Range, Cascades, Willamette Valley.

Another must read for blacktails (and mule deer in thick timber) is Blacktail Trophy Tactics by Boyd Iverson. Tons of useful info on scouting, and a great chapter on still-hunting. It´s a little old, but it´s a classic.
I'll watch for that Iverson book.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robbie, great review! Just a quick question...why are you taking your ATS instead of just getting an ATX Eyepiece for your 95 mm objective? Seems like that would cut down on space and weight allowing you to have the best of both worlds (BTX and the spotter).

Good catch man. It’s because I owned the ATS before I got the BTX.

Porrick12

FNG
Hey Roksliders,
Be sure and check out our blog, The Rok Blog, hosted by yours truly.
This is one more resource for information on gear and hunting (especially for Mule Deer) for our Rokslide members. Make sure you subscribe once you're there (top right of the blog page) and give us your comments/feedback in the comment section after the blog.
Look forward to seeing you there:
Rok Blog - Rokslide
thanks for the info. new to this site and trying to earn posting abilities