Rok Blog Posts

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love the artical Robby. I have found some great elk spots on winter range. One area was totally overlooked by me and everyone else. I found them by chance during archery season one year. It actually was quite loaded with them everyone hunted the summer habitat that is phenomenal and has an excellent herd. They all go to this low country with a lot of mahogany for winter. Then seemingly migrate to picture perfect elk habitat. But I found a lot actually stay including some of the best bulls. They spend most of the day in the mahogany and usally come out late with the heat of the day so they aren't easy to pick up. Often they dont come till dark unless there is a bit of weather. Interestingly enough the biggest buck I have scouted to this day was on the same winter range .

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Love the artical Robby. I have found some great elk spots on winter range. One area was totally overlooked by me and everyone else. I found them by chance during archery season one year. It actually was quite loaded with them everyone hunted the summer habitat that is phenomenal and has an excellent herd. They all go to this low country with a lot of mahogany for winter. Then seemingly migrate to picture perfect elk habitat. But I found a lot actually stay including some of the best bulls. They spend most of the day in the mahogany and usally come out late with the heat of the day so they aren't easy to pick up. Often they dont come till dark unless there is a bit of weather. Interestingly enough the biggest buck I have scouted to this day was on the same winter range .

Elk too? There’s a hot tip right there. Thanks Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great article Robby. I too am a firm believer in that the low land "winter range" country can and tends to hold great bucks. It's not a classic mule deer style type of hunting, but if a guy can wrap his mind around some different methods, and gain, as well as believe in a different perspective, a different world can open up regarding this. It has for me anyway.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great article Robby. I too am a firm believer in that the low land "winter range" country can and tends to hold great bucks. It's not a classic mule deer style type of hunting, but if a guy can wrap his mind around some different methods, and gain, as well as believe in a different perspective, a different world can open up regarding this. It has for me anyway.
(y)(y)(y):cool:

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
You just never know when a picture is going to show up of someone holding a big mule deer buck when they were out hunting antelope on what is mule deer winter range. It does happen. Deer densities are usually very low during that time of year in those areas. Hard to say when a buck or group of bucks just decides to make a living in the sage where there at instead of migrating 40-100 miles to the high country. The Wyoming Range Mule Deer study gps collared some bucks to find out how they're migration/movement patterns differ from does/fawns throughout the year. That data will be interesting when it is presented.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You just never know when a picture is going to show up of someone holding a big mule deer buck when they were out hunting antelope on what is mule deer winter range. It does happen. Deer densities are usually very low during that time of year in those areas. Hard to say when a buck or group of bucks just decides to make a living in the sage where there at instead of migrating 40-100 miles to the high country. The Wyoming Range Mule Deer study gps collared some bucks to find out how they're migration/movement patterns differ from does/fawns throughout the year. That data will be interesting when it is presented.
I can't wait for that data to come out. I predict a few bios will be kidnapped and held ransom for some of those coords...

thanks

Philippians 2:9-11
Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him THE NAME THAT IS ABOVE EVERY NAME, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD, to the glory of God the Father.

Last edited:
Great article Robby! I really enjoy incorporating the valuable things you share into my own hunting strategy. I'd also like to thank you for the links of the podcasts you are a part of, much appreciated.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great article Robby! I really enjoy incorporating the valuable things you share into my own hunting strategy. I'd also like to thank you for the links of the podcasts you are a part of, much appreciated.

Hey man, you’re very welcome and I appreciate the blog support and for listening to those guys’ podcasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk