Rok Blog Posts

Hi Robby,

I fell in love with Mule deer when I moved to Idaho 32 years ago. Of course we had many in Montana just not the Crankers that Idaho puts out. I have read your book, Eastmans, David Longs and just About anything I can get my hands on That covers these great creatures. different authorities disagree on certain aspects surrounding success for big mule deer. I have had pretty decent success on mule deer. But I think it’s a never ending learning process. In that vein I have quite a few questions about concepts you have written in your book. What is the best way approach my questions. Do I just throw them out here on the Blog. Thanks for your willingness to help mule deer lovers be successful in their journey Of , “Killing the Biggest Deer of your Life”.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Robby,

I fell in love with Mule deer when I moved to Idaho 32 years ago. Of course we had many in Montana just not the Crankers that Idaho puts out. I have read your book, Eastmans, David Longs and just About anything I can get my hands on That covers these great creatures. different authorities disagree on certain aspects surrounding success for big mule deer. I have had pretty decent success on mule deer. But I think it’s a never ending learning process. In that vein I have quite a few questions about concepts you have written in your book. What is the best way approach my questions. Do I just throw them out here on the Blog. Thanks for your willingness to help mule deer lovers be successful in their journey Of , “Killing the Biggest Deer of your Life”.

sure, just post them in this comments section of the blog and I’ll do my best. thanks for buying my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Islandeer

FNG
hahaha, you're right, my glass and ponies worth way more and more valuable for the way I hunt than an expensive truck.

I didn't go after those bucks because we got three bucks last year, so freezers still in good shape. On a different year, I'd have probably gone after that one I estimated at 175".

And I don't feel like I have to kill a buck to have a good hunt.

Thanks for watching!
Love all things related to big mule deer hunting. The work and the hope, the magic when it all comes together, always be grateful for what is and the process. Learn from the great bucks, be humble and respect entry into their world.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Great review Robby I’m in the market for a new tripod and have been eyeballing the outdoorsmans but it looks like the Slik may be a better fit for me!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great review Robby I’m in the market for a new tripod and have been eyeballing the outdoorsmans but it looks like the Slik may be a better fit for me!

both solid choices, but if you’re hunting off your back, I’d go SLIK

Flyjunky

WKR
Robby,

Why did you feel the Outdoorsman was more stable than the Slik? Are the legs angles (foot print) similar? Obviously a wider footprint will be more stable.

I've been a full-time professional photographer for over 10 years and have had my fair share of tripods (gitzo, rrs, bento, pro media). I don't think I've ever preferred an aluminum over a carbon, with the only exception being price.

Carbon is stiffer than aluminum for similar diameters and it also absorbs vibration better.

I'm looking to get a new tripod and head for hunting and this is a timely article. All my tripods are way to big and heavy for hunting.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

Why did you feel the Outdoorsman was more stable than the Slik? Are the legs angles (foot print) similar? Obviously a wider footprint will be more stable.

I've been a full-time professional photographer for over 10 years and have had my fair share of tripods (gitzo, rrs, bento, pro media). I don't think I've ever preferred an aluminum over a carbon, with the only exception being price.

Carbon is stiffer than aluminum for similar diameters and it also absorbs vibration better.

I'm looking to get a new tripod and head for hunting and this is a timely article. All my tripods are way to big and heavy for hunting.

hey man good question. I was a little perplexed too before I started the review and people were saying that aluminum is more stable than carbon.

I had always thought the opposite.

Yet when I did the test, I did notice that at least this particular tripod was more stable than the carbon.

I’m not an engineer, so I really can’t explain it beyond that.

It could just simply be that it was 15 ounces heavier?

but if you read through the discussion thread that’s linked at the very bottom of the review, you will see some qualified members chimed in about their experiences, and more than a few gave the nod to aluminum for more stability.

But ultimately this review was about two very solid choices for backcountry hunters and my goal was to clarify the highlights of each, so that’s what I went for.

We would love to hear your experience as you likely have a lot to offer with all those years of tripod use amongst brands. thanks

I think the 15oz weight is enough to make a big difference in stability...especially with two high quality tripods.

I’ve also noticed that build quality is huge when it comes to stability. I have two small aluminum tripods both about 2lbs with head...one is terribly shakey the other very solid.

my guess is that if you had two tripods of equal weight and quality, one carbon one aluminum, stability would be really close.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 15oz weight is enough to make a big difference in stability...especially with two high quality tripods.

I’ve also noticed that build quality is huge when it comes to stability. I have two small aluminum tripods both about 2lbs with head...one is terribly shakey the other very solid.

my guess is that if you had two tripods of equal weight and quality, one carbon one aluminum, stability would be really close.
you make a great point and we started down that path in the original review with the Outdoorsmans Compact but members really wanted to see a closer comparison in heights without the column extension that was required in the Compact to be comparable to the SLIK. So the medium it was!

Flyjunky

WKR
It must be the extra weight giving the outdoorsman the edge in stability. Although, by the time you through a spotting scope or binoculars on there the 15oz difference shouldn't matter too much. I'd be curious to know where you, or others, think the lack of stability is coming from? Leg angle? Leg locking mechanisms, particularly at the spider? Overall quality of parts?

Generally what I've found is that the longevity of a tripod and its stability over the long haul comes down to the tolerances of the locking mechanisms, both at the spider and the legs.

Like I mentioned above, one thing that often gets overlooked is leg angle. Many times manufacturers use less leg angle (smaller footprint) to gain height at the sacrifice of stability.

One other thing I'm going to have to get use to is using a center column. None of my tripods have center columns and I know that the higher you extend those the less stable a tripod becomes, especially when wind is a factor.

I photograph architecture, custom homes for builders, and sometimes I'll photograph high end real estate. I typically do anywhere from 150-200 shoots a year. Early in my career I could easily wear out a tripod in 1-2 years, just from the constant open/closing and adjusting the locks. These were all cheaper tripods and wore out in the areas I described above.

My two current tripods for work are the RRS TVC-34L and Gitzo GT5563GS. I use the RRS everyday and the Gitzo is for special applications where I'm limited by space and/or can't shift my lens high enough. On top of both of these I use an Arca Swiss C1 which is about 2.5lbs on its own.

It must be the extra weight giving the outdoorsman the edge in stability. Although, by the time you through a spotting scope or binoculars on there the 15oz difference shouldn't matter too much. I'd be curious to know where you, or others, think the lack of stability is coming from? Leg angle? Leg locking mechanisms, particularly at the spider? Overall quality of parts?

Generally what I've found is that the longevity of a tripod and its stability over the long haul comes down to the tolerances of the locking mechanisms, both at the spider and the legs.

Like I mentioned above, one thing that often gets overlooked is leg angle. Many times manufacturers use less leg angle (smaller footprint) to gain height at the sacrifice of stability.

One other thing I'm going to have to get use to is using a center column. None of my tripods have center columns and I know that the higher you extend those the less stable a tripod becomes, especially when wind is a factor.

I photograph architecture, custom homes for builders, and sometimes I'll photograph high end real estate. I typically do anywhere from 150-200 shoots a year. Early in my career I could easily wear out a tripod in 1-2 years, just from the constant open/closing and adjusting the locks. These were all cheaper tripods and wore out in the areas I described above.

My two current tripods for work are the RRS TVC-34L and Gitzo GT5563GS. I use the RRS everyday and the Gitzo is for special applications where I'm limited by space and/or can't shift my lens high enough. On top of both of these I use an Arca Swiss C1 which is about 2.5lbs on its own.
In my experience, 1 pound makes a very significant difference in field use. Calm day set up on a cement in your front yard... not a big difference with 1 pound weight difference.

In the field with awkward angles, rough terrain (center columns can come in handy here), and some wind—the difference can be substantial between different weight tripods. And to your point contruction absolutely matters.

fwiw I have two tripods. One is 2lbs used for backpacking and sitting only height. The other is for front country, can be used standing, and weighs over 4lbs. The 4lber is a dream to glass with...2lber works fine but is a compromise. Different tools for different purposes.

Flyjunky

WKR
In my experience, 1 pound makes a very significant difference in field use. Calm day set up on a cement in your front yard... not a big difference with 1 pound weight difference.

In the field with awkward angles, rough terrain (center columns can come in handy here), and some wind—the difference can be substantial between different weight tripods. And to your point contruction absolutely matters.

fwiw I have two tripods. One is 2lbs used for backpacking and sitting only height. The other is for front country, can be used standing, and weighs over 4lbs. The 4lber is a dream to glass with...2lber works fine but is a compromise. Different tools for different purposes.
Makes sense, thanks for the info!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Always love your stuff!

Really nice cinematography too.

Thanks for taking the time to put this all together and share.

Loved it!

Compared to other films I appreciate that the hard core hunting aspect is not sacrificed for getting the “kill shot” or a bunch of film of the deer you’re hunting. I always learn something from your videos and books and this one was no exception. Of course would have like to see the bucks in question but hey, hunting that kind of thick country I can imagine how difficult it is to film. Excellent!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Loved it!

Compared to other films I appreciate that the hard core hunting aspect is not sacrificed for getting the “kill shot” or a bunch of film of the deer you’re hunting. I always learn something from your videos and books and this one was no exception. Of course would have like to see the bucks in question but hey, hunting that kind of thick country I can imagine how difficult it is to film. Excellent!

hey thank you. yea very hard to get bucks on film in that country. and I was alone when I shot at the buck at the end.

here’s the pic of his doe laying down before the other one got all jacked up and everything stood up. She’s in the yellow circle on left. He stepped into the opening at the right yellow circle. Had plenty of time to shoot but very hard to steady on one knee and shoot under the branches. still not sure what happened.
adc9459f1217ce4d6c370ec49f9ee635.jpg