Rok Blog Posts

street

WKR
Nice read Robby. I agree - I've found motivation keeps me on track during the offseason but self-discipline keeps me in the hunt.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
click here for Mule Deer Gear for Father’s Day from Rokslide sponsors
69ba3dc606a507f9d348614ff13aeeae.jpg

b88c5148e9846eaac2f00fc751be6bd5.jpg

041615d3998c403c4ac5687856531888.jpg

48989486f9a6f29c41548a96bbd91100.jpg

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Very good post and point to make. I think you should create a forum category called "Hunter Etiquette" and start filling it with these kinds of tidbits. And allows users to pose conundrum questions like this.

As an example, when I started I was completely unaware that if someone helps you to pack out an animal, that some folks expect to be kicked down some pounds of the animal.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very good post and point to make. I think you should create a forum category called "Hunter Etiquette" and start filling it with these kinds of tidbits. And allows users to pose conundrum questions like this.

As an example, when I started I was completely unaware that if someone helps you to pack out an animal, that some folks expect to be kicked down some pounds of the animal.
Thank you!

Absolutely needs to be discussed before the hunt..when I was younger my cousin and I were sitting together on a small hillside in Indiana. Neither of us had ever shot a deer before and this little fork horned bucks shows up and beds probably 70 yards from us. We both sat there for probably 30 mins trying to decide who was going to get to shoot this deer. Well neither of us did. We were so busy arguing with each other we didn't even notice the small buck had got up and walked away.. we were probably 12.. we still laugh about it today.

Last year I took a buddy out for his first ever hunt. We came to an agreement pretty quickly that because this was "my" area that I was showing him that I had first dibs. He fully understood and he ended up shooting a small buck on day 3 and I shot a good buck later in season.

Last edited:

(NOP)

FNG
I find the older I get, the less selfish I get, and the more enjoyment I get helping and watching others be successful. Helps make the decision easier with that attitude and I end up getting more from the hunt.

Randle

WKR
I have poles with my pack frame but first load out gets a stick. I find a stick is smooth all the way up and no flicklocks or loops to get hung up in the vine maple or north idaho jungle trash
Great write up as always

I have nice telescoping trekking poles that I use mostly for winter hiking and backpacking heavy. I used to always pack them on hunts but hated how noisy they are clinking on rocks... One day I left them at camp and had to hike down a really steep slope in the dark. on my way back. I found a dead branch that worked great and was much quieter. As Robby says the forest is full of walking sticks and now all I pack is a small folding saw to make one.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have nice telescoping trekking poles that I use mostly for winter hiking and backpacking heavy. I used to always pack them on hunts but hated how noisy they are clinking on rocks... One day I left them at camp and had to hike down a really steep slope in the dark. on my way back. I found a dead branch that worked great and was much quieter. As Robby says the forest is full of walking sticks and now all I pack is a small folding saw to make one.

Great minds think alike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk