robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
First Lite Catalyst Glove Review

7a5311b47298838c4e2d86c7706707dd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! buying today!

Edit: I am seeing now that by "deserts of the west", Dennis seems to be referring to mainly Utah? Will this help me in Colorado? I am a novice, fyi

Last edited:
Robby,
I am interested in this book. I appreciate the heads up. I attend the local meetings with BLM, Biologists that come thru every year and inform us of deer/elk populations, possible permit allocations etc.
I don't always agree with what they report, based on my personal exploration during the pre hunt, hunt, and post hunt seasons. But I believe they don't get to the same areas I do, but more in general report what they know, which is most certainly more than me.

One thing I copied and pasted from your post:
"Scientists and wildlife managers have done much research over the decades on this subject. We know that in areas where the herd is at or near carrying capacity of the habitat, shooting does can benefit a herd."

I am not opposed to this at all. How ever I see every place we have deer and elk habitat, there are cattle every where. It almost seems like the ranchers in my units have some pull and great influence over grazing rights, and that drastically effects the deer and elk plots, especially the elk.
Many many areas have been chained to promote new growth. I am all for that. But we were told they would leave areas for elk and deer migrations, which they did not. later we were told the ranchers demanded the "pasture lands" they are leasing. I get that too.

Here it isn't just the food sources for wild life, but cattle, that is driving so much.
Maybe I'm just beating the same chest I had 5 years ago, 10 years ago, cause I don't read a lot of books.
But I do know what I have witnessed in wild life decline and it is alarming. In my area anyway.
It just sure seems like Utah is run by ranchers and driven by permits sold to hunters.

Last edited:

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Great book, read it about 5 or 6 years ago and it made me re-think alot of the views I had grown up with.

Sad how sometimes we as sportsmen know so little about these deer, and alot of what we "know" or what Robby refers to as bro science, is false.

Thanks for another great article Robby! Your blog and mule deer content is what got me on this site in the first place.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
I am interested in this book. I appreciate the heads up. I attend the local meetings with BLM, Biologists that come thru every year and inform us of deer/elk populations, possible permit allocations etc.
I don't always agree with what they report, based on my personal exploration during the pre hunt, hunt, and post hunt seasons. But I believe they don't get to the same areas I do, but more in general report what they know, which is most certainly more than me.

One thing I copied and pasted from your post:
"Scientists and wildlife managers have done much research over the decades on this subject. We know that in areas where the herd is at or near carrying capacity of the habitat, shooting does can benefit a herd."

I am not opposed to this at all. How ever I see every place we have deer and elk habitat, there are cattle every where. It almost seems like the ranchers in my units have some pull and great influence over grazing rights, and that drastically effects the deer and elk plots, especially the elk.
Many many areas have been chained to promote new growth. I am all for that. But we were told they would leave areas for elk and deer migrations, which they did not. later we were told the ranchers demanded the "pasture lands" they are leasing. I get that too.

Here it isn't just the food sources for wild life, but cattle, that is driving so much.
Maybe I'm just beating the same chest I had 5 years ago, 10 years ago, cause I don't read a lot of books.
But I do know what I have witnessed in wild life decline and it is alarming. In my area anyway.
It just sure seems like Utah is run by ranchers and driven by permits sold to hunters.

Hi, agreed on the overgrazing and it is mentioned in his book. But he does make a strong case for the right amount of grazing helping mule deer. Most hunters (and me a few decades ago) think grazing is bad at any level.

Stay involved! The pursuit needs you, but we always need to have our facts straight and sometimes what we observe isn't necessarily the facts.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great book, read it about 5 or 6 years ago and it made me re-think alot of the views I had grown up with.

Sad how sometimes we as sportsmen know so little about these deer, and alot of what we "know" or what Robby refers to as bro science, is false.

Thanks for another great article Robby! Your blog and mule deer content is what got me on this site in the first place.
well here's another deer hunter who cares enough to read about the science behind hunting. Thanks for chiming in and glad you're a member.