Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge

Maroon Creek road today at T Lazy 7 Ranch at 2pm it was 57F....Yikes that's warm. That location has to be 7500' - 8,000'. It is only 15 minutes from a project I was on sooooo

OP
D

david long

sreekers, I would like the Rokslide Challenge to become an annual event, but I would want to do a different challenge each year. There is way too much cool country out there to be doing the same loop every year.

Rick, what's your projection on when you think we could possibly get this thing done? Early July?

OP
D

david long

Thanks Rick....look forward to the update.

Pueblo

FNG
I just watched the video...what a great experience! Seems like a couple frosty beverages in the truck cooler would be appreciated after that. David, what elevation do you live at? Just curious how much you had to "instantly" adjust. Thanks for sharing all of this!

OP
D

david long

Pueblo.....I wish we could have relaxed and drank a couple afterwards.....instead, I hopped in the vehicle and drove home (3 1/2 hours).....made for a long, but enjoyable day!

I live just south of Denver......right at 6000' elevation.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
sreekers, I would like the Rokslide Challenge to become an annual event, but I would want to do a different challenge each year. There is way too much cool country out there to be doing the same loop every year.

Rick, what's your projection on when you think we could possibly get this thing done? Early July?

I love the idea of new country as well. Dates pending next summer, I am in.

Went up Maroon Creek rd late morning today. Made it to the Ranch called T Lazy 7, that is far as you can go anyway, as that is where snowmobile tours start. Two weeks ago there was 2 foot of snow ......................................today the asphalt is dry for as far as I could see. I will attempt to find the date that the road opens and go back.

OP
D

david long

Rick,

Thanks for the update...........I can't wait!

garrenj

FNG
Maybe we should get a "sea level" group together and see if we can hang with the Colorado crew. The highest I hunt here in Oregon is about 8,500, I might need supplemental oxygen at 14,000.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
Im soooo down for this... gotta convince the wife its a good idea to travel from IN to there for it then back to CO in Sept...

Hello DL... Went up today at noon. Ambient was 64F at the main parking lot at Maroon Bells Lake. NO snow along the road the entire way. I took a pic with my phone and sent it to my computer but forgot how to add it. Place is freaking gorgeous. So was the Goat the forest Ranger pointed out to me wayyyyy the heck up in the pines. Gotta love Colorado

OP
D

david long

Rick.....thanks for the update.....wish I lived closer so I could drive up there more often......I love that place! Absolutely gorgeous country!

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Gorgeous country--and a great feat! Next time consider mixing in one of those camera mounts that the skiers use on the end of their ski poles w their go pro cameras. Less camera shake and smoother footage. (that is not a complaint or a critical comment. Just throwing something out there!!)

herdbull

FNG
I might be up for this. I am making the trek from WI over the 4th of July to climb some 14ers. I have another week of vacation to tack onto it but I was leaning towards the week after the 4th, maybe I'll make it the week prior.

I will be camping near Buena Vista and also over near Aspen, so I'll be in the neighborhood. Elbert's on the hit list but I was planning on running it but if I met up with you guys I wouldn't mind tagging along and hiking it.

I'll keep my eyes on this thread and see how my plans pan out. I've got a pretty long list to climb already and don't know if there's 2 days of wiggle room in there or not.

I did see in the vid that there were some sections of shuffling feet/mtn running. Is this something you plan on doing or is it dependent on how your feeling, the terrain and who can or can't? It would make a difference in footwear choices. Looks like you guys picked an awesome day weatherwise in the vid. I love those type of mtn days!